Sun-Sentinel

Updated Feb 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Howard Greenberg

great place to learn about corporate america

Digital Sales (Former Employee)
    Deerfield Beach, FL

Proslots of training- awesome people

Conseveryone is concerned with the bottom line they forget about he employees and are losing talented people.

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to the folks doing the work and help them grow or you wll lose them.

The Copy Editing desk was amazing

Intern (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsHighly professional editing staff, great location, excellent opportunity for great clips

ConsJaded reporters and low pay. Editors failed to give proper feedback for improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your future and take your interns seriously.

Good for getting experience but not for much else.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGain experience, learn how to work with many kinds of people

ConsLow pay, no job security, lack of resources and ambition to innovate,

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't think out of the box, you won't survive. Treat editorial employees like human beings, and you will strengthen your workforce. Dignity and respect go a long way. Making people do more for less only reaps short-term gains.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great resume builder

Assistant Editor (Former Employee)
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsYou have the opportunity to learn many new tasks that can really beef up your resume
    Free to be as creative as you want
    Overall work atmosphere is enjoyable

ConsExtremely long hours with no compensation
    Very hard to take a vacation lasting longer than three days
    Management will sympathize with you but will not offer any solution

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay for your editors (they earn it!) and help employees comes up with solutions to their work problems instead of just being that shoulder to cry on

Working at Sun-Sentinel for the better part of a decade.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Broward Highlands, FL

ProsThere is a strong sense of family. Co-workers that care about their peers and are willing to go the extra mile.

ConsNo growth or advancement opportunities. Poor decision making on the part of middle and senior managers. Low morale due to layoffs and indifference by upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore deciding on a plan of action, think it through before it's implemented. Saving $100 today may cost $10,000 a month or two later. Open lines of communication with your employees and stop trying to bs them. They know better and so should you.

A steady job, but don't expect much advancement

Production Artist (Former Employee)
    Deerfield Beach, FL

ProsSlightly better pay for graphic artist jobs. Full health benefits and the ability to accrue paid vacation time. Other job opportunities in the company to apply for. Day or nighttime shifts.

ConsThe company offers very little or no raises at an employee's yearly review. New positions are very commonly treated as lateral moves so there's no extra pay for transferring. There is a lot of micro-management. Morale is low as the newspaper industry in general is suffering.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on new money-generating ideas and stop bombarding the employees with processes and procedures. Also consider offering raises to all your employers rather than just bonuses for upper management.

A company with bad judgement

Deerfield Beach, FL

ProsWorking hour flexibility, enormous commissions and bonuses for sales, lower level managers are nice to work with.

ConsLack of minority & women diversity in management and salaried jobs, non-sales employees don't receive bonuses or salary raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more accepting of change and stop resisting it. Allow new ideas to flourish. The philosophies that worked 15 years ago no longer work today.

My experience was great right up until the point at which my job was eliminated, after 20 years of excellent reviews.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was great until about 2007. Lots of resources, lots of support, lots of room for creativity and self-motivation. Happiest I've ever been professionally was at the Sun-Sentinel. Then I was tossed from the 10th floor.

ConsI can't think of a single one, except that my job disappeared. At least I wasn't lonely as I was swept out the door. Two or three hundred other competent journalists were encouraged to find other employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some journalists. Your product is a shadow of what it was even three years ago. it looks like a shopper, not a newspaper, and your remaining journalists are working themselves to death.

not trying hard enough

Editorial (Former Employee)
    South Florida, FL

Prosfreedom to do work on your own ideas and work with very talented people.

Consset in the old ways... dictated by a corporate structure 1500 miles away. We made all the money and they spent it so fast that the company had to be sold....Zell (new owner)is trying but they (staff) still don't get it.

Advice to Senior Managementopen your eyes and move fast on new ideas. you have good people. Ask them how to reinvent the business..This is a seat of the pants feeling....... they are not teaching this stuff in school...

Worked for Sun-Sentinel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sun-Sentinel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sun-Sentinel CEO Howard Greenberg. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Sun-Sentinel employees.