Sun Tan City

Sun Tan City Reviews

Updated December 6, 2014
Updated December 6, 2014

Rick Kueber

Pros
  • Works with my class schedule easily, manager was awesome to work for, free tanning (in 31 reviews)

• Free Tanning and discounts on products (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management takes no consideration when looking at their numbers, which is extremely irritating (in 6 reviews)

• No communication with management (District Manager or above) (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

The room for growth is there if you want it!

I have been working at Sun Tan City

Pros

Friendly work environment, opportunity to advance, commission.

Cons

Your sales for one day can basically make or break you. If you have a bad day it can seriously effect the money you make because you lose money if your average falls.

Great staff, managers, job

Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Sun Tan City part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The girls I work with, the management, and the training is there if you want it. You have the ability to make good money through sales.

Cons

Always getting called to pick up shifts. It is a sales job before all else, so if you can't sell don't apply. Much more than standing up front looking cute.

Take it easy on the store managers. They do everything regular employees do, plus have to keep up with reports, trainings, paperwork, hiring, sales goals and so much more. They are also on call all the time. Cut them some slack.

Tanning Consultant

Current Employee - Tanning Consultent
    Current Employee - Tanning Consultent

I have been working at Sun Tan City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

free tanning, friendly staff, commission, easy to work and go to school

Cons

we do get commission but it's very little... I'd be lucky to make $2 a day in commission and it goes down every time you don't sell something. The SD's push selling only to their benefit, they get the majority of everyones commission for each store. Before I found this out I was talking to my Salon Director about how little my bonus is and she replies "Tell me about it", then I found out on average her bonus is $600 while me and the other TC's barely push $50. While pushing to sell it easily makes the clients uncomfortable, forcing them to buy things they don't really want or need. We get paid almost minimum wage of $7.50 an hour without raises.

give raises to employees who deserve it, SD's shouldn't be telling TC's about their personal lives, and raise the percentage of money we keep from selling products.

You get out of the company what you put into it!!

Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is the most challenging yet the most rewarding job- couldn't ask for any more and I am extremely grateful for the chances the company gives all employees. I love that you are able to see how you contributed to the company's growth and you are compensated accordingly.
    The company gives a lot of employees their first opportunity to be in a management position and really invests in every single employee- they push you to be the best that you can be!! If you a driven employee you will thrive in the environment!! They have extremely high standards for EVERYTHING- again those that want to be challenged, want to grow as a professional, and are motivated will prosper. No one has ever promised that you do not have to work hard to grow with any company.
    The company appreciates the employees and those that work hard- this company truly rewards those that deserve to be rewarded and cares about a work life balance. It is a business and the goal is to help the company grow and make revenue- those that don't succeed do not understand that. The company has wonderful benefits, pays well but pays based on how YOU are contributing to the company. i love that!!! Some people believe that you should be rewarded for intentions- this is not the case.

Cons

Some people's misinterpreted perception of the goals the company sets. They truly value each employe and a work life balance. They value all clients. But they also value being a profitable company and they expect every employee at every level contribute to the company's success-- Some people do not understand this but at the end of the day the company has every employee's best interest in mind. If you want a job where you are not held accountable and you do not want to be coached and developed- you should not apply. The company will always push you to be better. Good employees appreciate this.

none.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Edwardsville, PA
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Edwardsville, PA

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sun Tan City is a great place to work if you're a college student looking for a part-time job. They're professional, and they're extremely flexible with scheduling hours.

Cons

The only downfall of working at Sun Tan City is working during prom season. Sometimes there are way too many clients to keep up with, and you literally have to run around the salon until you're dripping in sweat.

Management was never a problem while I worked here.

Most distasteful experience of my life

Former Employee - Salon Director in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Salon Director in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Sun Tan City full-time (more than an year)

Pros

if you are looking to work for the wilmington nc owners there are none, ex for maybe the free tanning

Cons

Mirco manage, screw you out of bonuses even with notice, horrible pay, no raises, VERY unprofessional

Get out of the business

Great job with growth potential

Current Employee - Salon Director in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Salon Director in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid time off and holidays, health insurance, and potential to move up within the company. I work for a franchise store and approaching upper management and owners is always easy. I get tons of encouragement from my peers and supervisors and always feel supported by them. As a manager, I am able to build and develop my own team and can know that my store's success is a product of my investment in my staff. I also get to make awesome relationships with my clients. My raises have also been generous.

Cons

Salary is not commiserate with my experience and proven ability, but my store bonuses and personal incentive make up for that. If I were in a slower location, I doubt if that would remain true. Salaried employees (management) are not eligible for overtime. Finding and keeping good employees is sometimes difficult since the starting hourly wage is so low.

Understand that your teams are the face of the business and reach out to the TC's personally so they feel as appreciated your SD's. Outline clear expectations and set tangible goals for your employees wanting to grow within the company so they know precisely what to do to get where they want to be.

Training Salon Director (Management Trainer)

Former Employee - Training Salon Director in Murfreesboro, TN
    Former Employee - Training Salon Director in Murfreesboro, TN

I worked at Sun Tan City full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Personal Sales bonus plus store bonus if meet goals, Quick promotions, Hire your own staff with supervision, Manage your own store, Fast paced, Experience

Cons

Poor leadership, High turnover, Competing against 300 salons to make full or even a store bonus, Salaried, Hired at 45 hours and will work 50-65 hours easily, Compensation doesn't satisfy the amounts of stress and micro-managing that is endured, Managers are expected to be on-call 24/7 to their store/staff so no real day off, Positions are added on top of each other for instance a District Manager in Training is also a Training Salon Director (who trains management) while managing their own store as well like a Salon Director (Manager) for $30000 because upper management is frugal and doesn't see the stress nor capability of one person doing the job of 3 positions!!

Don't pick your noticeable favorite and train the individual, train as a team. Managers should not be competing against each other in the same district but working together to become the best as a whole. More training. Unfortunately high turnover creates an urgency to fill store manager positions quickly, so a lot of new managers are thrown into the position with little training. When this situation occurs the District Manager or Field Educator should be there to help, not only available by phone but there the first couple of weeks in person. Compensation. Pay should be increased all around starting with the Tanning Consultants; the amount of work that they do is way more than the worth of minimum wage and a measly sales bonus of maybe $25-80 a month (Slow season, which is truly every month but March-May). Honestly the managers that you think are happy, aren't and 9 out of 10 are seeking other employment a month into the job.

Great Job

Current Employee - Salon Director in Waynesboro, VA
    Current Employee - Salon Director in Waynesboro, VA

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management. Everyone is just like family, from the upper management to the tanning consultants. Great for people with good communication skills. You work with the public on a daily basis which is a good and bad thing.

Cons

Unrealistic sale requirements during slower seasons. Puts too much pressure on the employees to meet goals during the slower season when you see more regulars.

Created good job opportunities, but...

Current Employee - Tanning Consultant
    Current Employee - Tanning Consultant

I have been working at Sun Tan City part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to gain useful sales experience that surprisingly looks good on a resume. The job was also very fun during peak season (March-May) and some of the girls I worked with became some of my closest friends. The opportunity to earn commission was also nice and you can make some decent money if your sales are good.

Cons

My manager was an absolute joke. She would show up late to work, sleep through employee meetings, schedule vacations for herself 2 days beforehand when we are short staffed, bad-mouth her staff and threaten that she could fire you if she wanted to "just because". If you had high sales but didn't clean, she wouldn't say a word to you. Hard work was not appreciated (cleaning beds properly, leaving the salon spotless at closing, etc). It was also a constant competition for sales and "stealing sales" happened A LOT. They also changed the commission policy while I was there and you now have to hit the minimum $1.75 average for the month to get any commission. Hitting that average was very difficult during off-season (June-December).

Do not create competition between your staff, they should be working as a team, not against each other. Also, do not go to the bar with your employees who are underage.