Sun Tan City

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick Kueber

Pros
  • Free tanning, They will work with your schedule, for every package sold you get commission(in 30 reviews)

• Free Tanning and discounts on products(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Salon Directors can do whatever they want(in 5 reviews)

• Management shows favoritism & hangs out with tanning consultants outside job(in 5 reviews)

Providing excellent customer service and selling products that are specific to a client’s needs.

Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) Radcliff, KY

ProsLearning how to do customer service, understanding the process of tanning and skin care, how to sell products that are specific needed. Learning to teach people why tanning is good for them.

ConsThe only thing that I believe that was not good with them was is was not very organized. Such as, we would just from one thing to another. Like washing beds to cleaning beds and did not have assigned positions for one day. But other that that, this job was always active and kept you up and never was slow. The work days always went by very fast.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust having assign positions for every employee daily.

Okay job for teens.

ProsFree tanning, great atmosphere, good discount on lotions

ConsYou have to be extremely pushy with customers to buy something.

HOT MESS

Tanning Consultant (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsFree tanning, sales experience, and the ability to make beyond minimum wage- IFFF you can sell.

ConsPush Push Push... In training they say educators, but you're no more than a product pusher. REALITY!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the drama.. Nobody wants to work in a woman centered company because of things like this.
    Listen to the Tanning Consultants. Sometimes other people's input can be a good thing..
    Also train the employees to be kind to people's children! NEVER should a mother feel uncomfortable having her kids with her while out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very easy

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFree tanning, They will work with your schedule, for every package sold you get commission

ConsThe supervisors are very unprofessional. They gossip about every one

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the gossip and use that time to train

Management styles are rigid and need some work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe incentives are great and help you to learn how to be a sales person.

ConsThe hours and intensity of work are quite difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementSoften the image of your employees.

Should be a job for high school girls, not 18+

Tanning Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsYou get 50% off of the products and you have free unlimited tanning (which will probably give you skin cancer). You have the opportunity to make a decent bonus during the high peak of season and you get commission for your sales if you meet their minimum numbers each month. The more you sell the bigger your bonus becomes.

ConsTanning consultants run the show while the managers hide behind their paperwork and slack off on any of the physical labor. They PUSH sales to an annoying point and if you don't reach your sales goals you don't receive a monthly bonus for your commission. Also, if you fail to reach their sales goals for multiple months it could get you fired because they want their numbers to be high.

The managers in the salon are petty and gossip about everyone, and it's probably because upper management treats them like crap too.

The job starts at minimum wage and you only get a 50 cent raise after the first six months of working there unless you are promoted.

The schedules are made every two weeks, so it's inconsistent scheduling, and it's almost impossible to count on anyone to cover a shift for you.

My managers never cover for me when I can't make a shift and I have to find my own coverage or I get in trouble.

It's overall unprofessional; like working with a bunch of high school girls, which only creates drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your tanning consultants by pitching in on the bed cleaning when it's busy. Don't ever schedule one tanning consultant with a manager, but have two TCs work with a manager instead; that way the TCs can both cover the front counter so you can get your paperwork done and we don't get too stressed out working the counter by ourselves. Stop gossiping in the office so loud clients make comments about it and do your job instead.

Very diverse

ProsDifferent responsibilities, no two days alike. Flexible w family time. Much experience to be gained if you take advantage of what's required of you.

ConsThere are only 24 hrs in a day. Despite employee intentions, things happen. No one intentionally messes up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen it comes to employee workload, remember the glass is half-full. There are honest and committed employees not in sales.

Awesome

Assistant Salon Director (Current Employee)

ProsI have been working at STC for over a year now. It's very easy to move up with the company if you take advantage of your time there.

ConsUnless your full time or one of the best TCs you will get very few hours.

Fun and easy job, but severe unprofessional management with intense micro-managing that causes unnecessary stress.

Salon Director (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsEasy job, it's just tanning. Coworkers were awesome and clients were always pleasant. Commission was decent and obtainable if you tried to sell product and memberships.

ConsHigh degree of unprofessionalism. Adult management would gossip about the college-age girls that worked there. Advice when sales were down: work harder. Condescending tone and attitude started with franchise owner and trickled down to district managers to salon directors. This caused high turn over. Company really screws you over when you quit by payroll deductions. Very uncomfortable to be at work when district manager was at your salon. Required to work 50 hours during busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and respect employees instead of always complaining about sales. Be trusting, most employees aren't trying to take advantage of the company. Stop payroll deducting. Salon directors aren't needed 50 hours a week during busy season, this is just cheap labor.

Tanning Consultant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorks with my class schedule easily, manager was awesome to work for, free tanning

Conspay is minimum wage plus sales commission so varied

Worked for Sun Tan City? Contribute to the Community!