Sun Tan City Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
82 reviews filtered by
Rick Kueber

Pros
  • Works with my class schedule easily, manager was awesome to work for, free tanning (in 31 reviews)

• Free Tanning and discounts on products (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management takes no consideration when looking at their numbers, which is extremely irritating (in 6 reviews)

• No communication with management (District Manager or above) (in 6 reviews)

1. Good part time position.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Sun Tan City

Pros

Fun and energetic work environment

Cons

Can get very busy and sometime have to deal with rude customers

2. Tanning consultant

I have been working at Sun Tan City part-time

Pros

Free tanning, get to open salon/close salon alone, independence, opportunity to receive big bonus if you sell enough, 50% off product all the time

Cons

If you are reading this thinking you may work there and you do not like pushing people to buy things- DONT work there. It is a sales position before anything else. Daily goals you have to meet, pushing product on people who don't want it, manager viewing your every move while you sell, PPTA that is unattainable to reach, can lose your bonus easily for numerous reasons. Terrible customer attitudes at times, incredibly understaffed, employees that ARE there call in sick 24/7 or can not come in and you will be forced to pick up many shifts on your days off, overwhelming, catty coworkers, free tanning but after I left there I didn't even want to tan- just wanted to go home. Always plan to stay at least an hour after the time it says you'll get off.

Advice to Management

It is a tanning salon. Calm down. Also, hire more people so you don't have employees overwhelmed and running around with chickens with their heads cut off trying to get everything done by themselves

3. Ick

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free tanning, lots to learn about the sales process. They're so pushy, that if you can do this, you'll be great at any job.

Cons

Some of the things you are taught are total bull crap. They pretty much want you to lie to get a sale and get offended if denied a sale.

Advice to Management

Quit being so catty and just focus on being professional

5. Amazing company--they really care about their employees and clients!

Current Employee - Assistant Salon Director in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Salon Director in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Sun Tan City full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay is great, benefits are awesome, and tanning privileges are fantastic! Plus, you get to go to work and have fun!

Cons

Busy salons and management who aren't understanding whwn sales aren't extremely high

Advice to Management

Share more positive thoughts with employees. If employees fwel appreciated, they'll work harder.

6. Only good thing is free tanning

Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Pikeville, KY
    Former Employee - Tanning Consultant in Pikeville, KY

I worked at Sun Tan City part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Tanning, Fun Environment, Employee Discount, Works with student schedules, Opportunity for commission, Very nice manager.

Cons

Minimum wage, PPTA aka pushing products on every single client, meeting daily goals or receive a write up, if you get sick don't expect other employee's to cover your shift because they won't, high turnover rate. New employees every few months. If you don't keep your PPTA up, you don't get your commission. Expect to be called if other people do not come in. High possibility of having to stay over your scheduled shift or getting called in on a day off.

Advice to Management

Drug test!

7. Great opportunity

Current Employee - Salon Director in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Salon Director in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Sun Tan City

Pros

Amazing support and training structure. Fun upbeat culture. Hard work, determination and success was acknowledged by senior management and I received 2 promotions within a two year period.

Cons

There are none to mention.

8. Job was not at all what they described. Basically just pushing sales, all day.

I worked at Sun Tan City

Pros

Free tanning, discounts on products

Cons

Low pay, very pushy about sales.

9. They expect world class selling but don't want to pay out for it!

Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sun Tan City part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free Tanning; honestly this is the main reason people stay.
    50% off discount on tanning lotions
    Training

Cons

MINIMUM wage! This is the most demanding part time job I've ever witnessed. The training and expectation you go through is mandatory and they provide you $7.25 per hour.

-PPTA=wishing you never worked here. Pushing products that people don't want or need! They train you to overcome objections. People do NOT need this over priced stuff!

Working alone is stressful and just annoying. Having a line out the door and 16 dirty beds. Ok. People get really irritated and they just want to tan while you have to push this $140 bottle of lotion to someone. Or if they don't want that how about a tan extender?! No. Body wash? No. Ok well how about a packet..no and no.

Advice to Management

This is a TANNING salon; take it easier. You can't compete with online. People will buy lotions online and you can't win against diversion. If they weren't priced so high we could totally make more sales with clients and if I sell $400 worth of product and I make $14... Really. That's a JOKE. I now understand why the turnover is so insane.

10. The stress is worth it....Great Place to work

Former Employee - Training Salon Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Training Salon Director in Nashville, TN

I worked at Sun Tan City full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are given a lot of room to make it your own. You can do whatever YOU need to encourage and keep your employees motivated. Awesome bonuses, if you are able to sell and motivate your team to sell. Lines of communication are open to be able to talk to Regionals/VP's. Many perks to come with the job - free tanning, contests to win prizes, great relationships with all the employees

Cons

As a manager you are always on call, strict rules on meeting goals, some times your DM can micromange, as a SD or TSD you do everything that the employees do plus a lot of paperwork and coaching and training

Advice to Management

Allow your TSD's and SD's to do their jobs and if the salon is being successful and is clean then you should show praise more often

11. Tanning consultant

Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Tanning Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sun Tan City

Pros

Love working with clients, feeling a sense of accomplishment because the job is mainly sales, awesome manager, teamwork, free tanning

Cons

The pay..ive been working here almost a year and even though my sales are outstanding, they still havent given a raise. Dont expect to make more than minimum wage. Commission is taken away if sales arent daily.

Advice to Management

We are professionals, pay us like professionals! Also commission should be worked out better. Don't take away commission if we dont reach stats...we sold the product, we deserve it.