Sun-Times

Very pleasant and educational

Former Employee - Customer Survey Representative  in  Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Survey Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sun-Times full-time

Pros

The staff and hours of operation were great.

Cons

The assignment didn't last long.

Give longer Staffing Agencies Assignment.

Not worth reviewing

Former Employee - Copy Editor  in  Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Copy Editor in Aurora, IL

I worked at Sun-Times full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people in the trenches. Those who are left, anyway.

Cons

Management. The company has long suffered from inept leadership and, before that, unethical and dishonest leadership.

You've laid off enough ;people in the past five years and have failed to find a solution. I'd suggest that mayne it's time to give it up, but I still have friends working there.

Good, Bad and Ugly

Former Employee - Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sun-Times full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, downtown location and 401K

Cons

Rate card was for show only, always had to sell below rate card and even then it was still overpriced because the numbers in print and online were minimal at best. Upper mgmt had no clue how to run the business. It was and still is a tax shelter for them!

They do not listen and do not care, so advice is of no interest to them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a shame

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun-Times full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is hard to come up with one right now, but there are people who actually care and want to make this place successful again. Just not convinced it is leadership.

Cons

Too many family/friends being hired. Too top heavy. Too much credit being taken for other people's work. Leadership too afraid to really come up & stick their neck out on the line by putting an idea out there. Everyone is operating out of fear of losing their job. The business will never move forward like that.

Stop the nepotism and hiring friends. Release the current leadership. The inflated salaries and the addition of these vp titles is not what is going to move this business forward. Recognize the people who are really doing the work and those who are just taking credit for it.

Committed co-workers, ongoing uncertainty

I worked at Sun-Times

Pros

Good benefits and very generous vacation time. Committed co-workers dedicated to getting the paper out on time despite constant hurdles.

Cons

For years there has been ongoing uncertainties about the direction of the paper. Bottom line, this takes a toll on the morale of its employees. Little opportunity for career advancement.

Show your appreciation by compensating the many loyal workers that have gone above and beyond despite the many challenges that have been presented to them in the past few years. Recognize their worth.

Stay away from this company

I worked at Sun-Times full-time

Pros

Free coffee, tea, water, dry cereal...

Cons

Long hours, low pay, managers have no comprehension of markets, no recognition.

Quit or close the doors as soon as you can so you do not lose any more money and prevent any further embarrassment.

Great Entry Level

Current Employee - Acoount Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Acoount Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun-Times full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Pay Structure: community outreach.

Cons

Nothing really, sometimes the goals are hard to reach--but if you work hard you will hit them!

More motivation would be great! Have more events.

Wonderful. I was laid off after 16 years, and the Post-Tribune recognized my worth.

Current Employee - Reporting Correspondent  in  Crown Point, IN
    Current Employee - Reporting Correspondent in Crown Point, IN

I have been working at Sun-Times as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I was hoping for a full-time position, but the editors worked with me on a correspondent contract that has kept me working and pays the bills.

Cons

There are so few full-timers that a call to the newsroom goes to voicemail. I have to anticipate breaking news in a competitive situation and let the editors know ahead of time, or the other local paper will beat me to web. Some of my competitive stories are held over to weekend editions, and I get beat. The usual. Having been an assigning editor, I understand it. I just don't like it.

Well, put me on the job full-time , for starters. Heheh. At full-time salary and exempt from hourly pay, I'd be laying down roots the community and turning out three times the copy I produce now.

Great people, unclear mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sun-Times

Pros

The big name recognition is great. It can help you move from entry level to mid level if you use it the right way.

Cons

Honestly the company mission seems unclear to me and it seems like the different departments don't work together to make the company better. Everyone is nice for sure but the bottom line would be better served by a little conflict to encourage growth and honesty.

Leaky Boat Floundering at Sea but the Captain is More Worried about his Palm Tree

Former Employee - Information Technologies Systems Support  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technologies Systems Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sun-Times

Pros

Anything you wanted to learn was available if you wanted it. Peers were helpful and committed to seeing a paper get out every day, no matter the hurdles. If you helped get passed the problem, peers and end users were appreciative and complimentary. Never a dull day.

Cons

Long hours with little or no recompense. Very little in the way of recognition of effort and personal sacrifice from higher management. Pay increases and or promotion only to the selected few. Labor reductions only to the bottom of the ladder; very little labor reductions at the top of ladder. Corporate structure is management heavy.

Come see what is really happening in the front line trenches. Your generals aren't providing you with the actual information you should have to be making the decisions that have been made. Companies can't be run by looking at the spreadsheet only. Improve your product rather than reduce labor force to stay profitable. Return to local news where Sun-Times made it mark.

Worked for Sun-Times? Contribute to the Community!