Sun West Mortgage

Updated October 9, 2014
2.0

Pavan Agarwal

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good pay but bad environment

Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Underwriter in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits were offered

Cons

No communication, training or help from management

Streamline your teams - managers are spread too thin and employees suffer

High pressure, high turnover, terrible training and unreliable office equipment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro that I can think of at this time is that it offers a paycheck and a 40-hour work week. It was very convenient to commute to via public transit thanks to its proximity to the Cerritos Auto Square, Cerritos College and Los Cerritos Center.

Cons

Their new-hire training is very short and you're expected to know all the SOP's (procedures and tasks) in just a few days, then start meeting their high productivity levels immediately afterward. The proprietary cloud-based software the company uses to upload mortgage documents crashes and goes down on an almost daily basis. Their India-based IT team is overworked and overwhelmed trying to fix employees' desktop connections. Supervisors and trainers are blunt, rude, expect you to respond to tons of emails you weren't even aware were sent, and equipment is constantly breaking down. It's no wonder Sun West has such high employee turnover.

Have a more organized and professional training program. Stop patching leaks to SunSoft and Mortgage Online and rebuild them from the bottom up so they are reliable, robust and not constantly crashing. Bring the IT department back to America and have it in-house there in Cerritos. If a company isn't willing to spend a little money to develop reliable software and equipment, then it gets what it pays for. I finally quit in frustration because Sun West is a very dysfunctional operation. I would never work for this company again even if they paid me to! ;)

Sun West Mortgage is on the rise!

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1: Life insurance 15k
    2: 401K 1% match ( you invest 100 dollar the company invest 1 dollar)
    3: No on call stuff.
    4: No code review, you can secretly check in code.
    5: No hot fix. If it crash, just let it crash.
    6: 100 dollar bonus at the end of the year.
    7: No fancy code. You are not allowed to use fancy technology as it is a financial company.

You will figure out how to survive in this company. Good luck!

Cons

1: No talk to other developers even if you don't know how to fix.
    2: Interesting code base and you will find many surprise in the code.
    3: The table in the database may has over 2000 columns. You will never figure out what does that mean as the previous developer has gone. You can guess.

They are smart. They don't need any advice.

Don't make the same mistake that I made

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Even though I tried really hard, I still can't find any positive experience with this company...

Cons

The company is so cheap, their salary offer is way below industry average. The management is very unprofessional. The way they evaluate performance is hilarious. Staying at this place is totally waste of life.

no advice, you won't listen anyway.

One unorganized mess.

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The owner of the company, Hari Argawal, is a sweet, elderly man. Always said hi and greeted me when I encountered him. Always wore clean white sneakers with his sleek business suit. Drove a Volvo and Toyota Highlander to work. Didn't take it upon himself to park in front of the office like some bigshot VIP. A man small in stature but seemingly had a good heart. I don't dare bash him.

Cons

About everything else. I endured this place for five years. I worked hard for the company and its customers.

Basically, it was misery spent in a cubicle. You work in a place where you are treated with little regard, are unappreciated, hardly respected, pretty much at the bottom of the work totem pole, despite the fact that the satisfaction of clients who help uphold the establishment depends on our hard work and servitude.

During my stay at Sun West, my department had seen the company go through 3 HR managers, seen 3 department managers come and go, two company-hired legal counsel persons resigned, and many people either quit or got fired. As far as I could see, while I was there, people were fired for unjustified or petty reasons. The best manager my department ever had resigned. He never disclosed his reason, but, we all could guess why. There's not just one thing wrong with Sun West Mortgage. There's a million.

After four and a half years of working hard, giving my all, working overtime and not getting paid for it, I fell ill and was forced to take a leave of absence. When I returned to work, my manager (who was the best they ever had!) had resigned, they had moved me to a completely different department with a different manager. Of course, I had no say in the matter. Even though I had been in my original department for four and a half years, that didn't matter. And even though they were aware of my disability, that didn't matter either. They were unsympathetic, and five days before my 5th year anniversary at Sun West, they terminated me. They actually did me a favor. It is not that I didn't have the courage to quit. The economy has been so bad, that you're pretty much stuck, and forced to stay because you have few other options....even as a college grad from a top UC school.

Treat your employees with respect. (Something I rarely experienced while there, with the exception of one manager of my department.) They are people, too. Reward them with praise or even ONE nice word when they do something well, and stop raising hell when they make a mistake. There's a reason all the good people are leaving. Think about that for a minute. Major changes need to take place in order for you to hold on to the good ones that are left.

I have never worked somewhere with worse management or treatment of employees

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team of developers seemed to be a good group (Besides for their lead Guillermo) when I was there, however they mostly left now, and I doubt this is a pro any longer.

They don't allow working outside of the office, so when you go home you don't have to worry about the job anymore (Except that you might get fired the next day for no apparent reason).

Cons

Compensation is low for Software Development. You are expected to work long hours and finish work in a set amount of time with constantly changing criteria. If you dont finish you get scolded like a child or fired.

You are not allowed to communicate with other developers. If you are caught talking to another developer you are either written up or fired.

The CEO Pavan Agarwal and his crony Jennifer Vallinayagam will come to your shared cube and personally criticize you for not finishing a task on time (Out loud so the rest of the team can hear them), but I never once received a compliment for anything.

Its very hard to recommend advice to management since they will not listen to their employees much less reviews on Glassdoor. If I did have to attempt to give advice, it would be to begin thinking about your employees before making brash decisions about their tasks and treating them like slaves.

Worse company ever (Probably)

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. If you are desperate for a job and you don't care about a career then this is the right place for you.
    Seriously though, working here = career suicide. Make it your last resort.
    2. Most of the development team are good people.

Cons

1. Micromanagement micromanagement micromanagement.
    2. Ridiculous company policies (you would laugh if you knew).
    3. Archaic technology (you would laugh if you knew).
    4. Inefficient and ineffective development process. Involves a lot of repetitive document writing and unrealistic ETAs. Never gets better either, good luck with that.
    5. "Code review" means they check how your document is written instead of checking actual code.
    6. Horrible code quality. Copy and past galore. Basic coding conventions are completely ignored. ie. lowercase class names
    7. Horrible proprietary software you are required to interface with.
    8. Upper management is rigid, top down and condescending.
    9. Nitpick on hours worked. Hours worked > quality of work.
    10. No teamwork. No such thing here. Which means no team meetings.
    11. No future. Will not help you learn anything except to be a mindless code monkey.
    12. Happy when you get hired, happy when you know you're going to leave and wondering why you decided to work here the entire time in between.
    13. Have I mentioned, probably the worst company ever?

Quit and let people that know what they're doing take your place.

I'm amazed they are still in business

Former Employee - Senior VA and FHA UW in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior VA and FHA UW in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They have a lot of programs no one else have, like multifarious FHA, which is where they make their bread and butter on. As an uw, I can tell you none of the brokers left happy.

Cons

I could go on forever. Turnover is massive, and people get axed for anything. There is no rhythm or reason for loan decisions and uw's are left hanging until an unqualified manager makes an unqualified call. The younger owner is all hands. I'll leave it at that.

When in the USA, follow our culture. Really. It's hard to work for a company that is an Indian family that screams and yells and makes everyone feels as if they don't have a secure job day after day. And they don't. Again, the turn around here is insane. And after I left, I watched it and they are ALWAYS hiring underwriters.

Do NOT work here unless you are TRULY desperate for the money.

Former Employee - Loan Servicing Representative in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing Representative in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

None. There are literally no pros. I'm only giving this company one star because that's the lowest it will go. The one thing maybe, is that you're permitted to listen to music while working.

Cons

You can not talk to peers/colleagues while you work. If you do, you will be written up/reported to HR. You're constantly being monitored. Your email/chat is not safe, and your performance dictates whether or not you'll stay. Again, do NOT work here. Please, save yourself from working at an awful company that does not invest in their employees. The company is millions of dollars in debt and is cutting corners to get out of it. They are firing people left and right. There is no future in/to this company

None. I am speechless.

loan officer

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My loans close fast. Management is highly accessable and they understand loans. At every other lender I worked at, my loans only went as well as the underwriter that was assigned to it. And sometimes even the best underwriter had a "bad hair day" and that we the end of that loan. At Sun West, however, management is hyper focused, perhaps to a fault, on common sense and "doing the right thing for the borrower". If I ever have a problem, I contact one of the ops managers and it's taken care of. They say that they really want to hear about such issue because they make permenant corrections to the process. That appears to be, but often it takes a while for it to be fixed for the long run. Therefore, it can be frustrating when a problem that happened on one loan, happens on another. However, in time it always gets better. In the end, I haven't seen any other lender, specially a large volume lender, like Sun West, consistantly get better month after month.

When I started several years ago, right after the peak of the credit crisis, the whole mortgage industry was turned inside out. Although I was an experienced loan originator I was looking for something different. So I just accepted Sun West's ideas and I have done more business as an MLO than I ever thought I would.

Cons

It's a very demanding employer. They never stop pushing for better customer service and better compliance. For example, almost every week there is an e-mail that goes out to all the staff with new technology updates and new 'knowledgebase' updates. It's tough to stay on top of it all. The ops people get more updates than originators. I think the ops people are even quized regularily.

In one of the reviews here someone mentioned "BIG BROTHER". They do have extensive electronic survalence including phone calls and emails. I think it's difficult to swallow in the mortgage industry becuase it's never been done before, however, many other industries have been doing it for a long time.

This company is not for everyone. I know of a top producer that made an exgagerated, perhaps false, statement to a client (they caught him on the electronic survalence) and he was fired instantly. Every other lender, that I know, would have looked the other way because those lenders are so profit focused.

They have the ops process broker down to a pure assembly line. That's why its so fast. But it's also why some ops people complain that it's not as "fun" as other lenders they've worked for.

Bottom line, if you are an old school loan officer that wants to "parkt at a lender" and do your own thing without accountability, this is not the place for you. However, if you want to open your mind to new ideas, you can do more business here than you ever imagined.

It's a very sterile, get to work, culture. I see how that works because there is ZERO politics and drama. But can you liven it up bit?

Sun West Mortgage Photos