Sun West Mortgage Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.0
Pavan Agarwal

Pros
  • No FICO Minimums, No Overlays, and Common-Sense Underwriting (in 3 reviews)

• There are no pros about this company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Too many hurdles to jump through to get loans done, internal staff could care less about the loan officer or client (not all but most) (in 3 reviews)

• Staff is treated horrible, internal operations center is not allowed to communicate with one-another (this is bad for moral and team building) (in 2 reviews)

Culture of rudeness and incompetence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Cerritos headquarters location is in a desirable location near public transportation, the Cerritos Auto Square and Los Cerritos Center. 2. It's a paycheck, which is better than none. ;-)

Cons

1. The upper management personnel are all Asiatic Indians who don't seem to be very personable. Maybe it's a cultural difference? This in turn trickles down to middle management and supervisors. They don't acknowledge you when you greet them and don't thank you when opening doors for them, etc. This negative behavior also seems to attract rude employees when hiring (like attracts like, it seems). 2. Most of the employees are hourly and as such, are required to clock in and out for breaks, lunch, coming to work and leaving work. This is accomplished using an online payroll vendor. I see this as a form of micro-management and control. 3. Security cameras are everywhere. According to management, this is due to the nature of the industry and safeguarding the borrowers' information. Big Brother really is watching. I also see this as a form of control and micro-management. 4. It takes an act of Congress to get a pay increase. It took almost 4 months for me to get one, from the time I had my performance appraisal. I had to follow up with H.R. more than once. 5. The equipment and online systems are sorely outdated. Some people are still using Windows XP computers even though support for that operating system ended over a year ago. The proprietary SunSoft and MortgageSoft Online systems crash on a seemingly daily basis, especially the imaging, which impacts productivity for those who rely on it regularly. 6. I was brought on board when the company was experiencing healthy growth. However, this seems to have changed. I have noticed many empty desks on the second floor of the office. I'm thinking many of these positions were shifted to the India branch of the company. 7. There is a high turnover of support staff. There are a lot of temporary workers who have been there more than a year hoping to get hired full-time. It seems the company has a hiring "freeze" on support jobs and is keeping temps on longer. 8. Management likes to stress open communication between them and the employees, but more often than not, they don't practice it.

Advice to Management

1. Treat your employees with courtesy and respect. You will get much more accomplished with honey than vinegar. A smile, kind word and saying "please" and "thank you" will go a long way. 2. Upgrade the equipment and systems for increased productivity.

2. Mortgage Loan Originator

Former Employee - Residential Mortgage/Loan Officer in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Mortgage/Loan Officer in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a good pay structure and offers the ability to earn a living. Employees are friendly.

Cons

Work environment is robotic, workload is cumbersome, using redundant 3rd party emails in lieu of antiquated proprietary software for communication, then over analyzed by technicians not managers. This contributes to a seriously negative environment and waste of more man hours than any employee would ever do even without supervision.

Advice to Management

Have monthly one on one meetings and provide positive input. The only one on one meetings management had with me was in a style and manner that I would be terminated if whatever it was continued. And yes, I was notified of my termination by the computer. "Access denied, employee terminated".

3. Sun West Mortgage

Current Employee - Loan Services Agent in Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Services Agent in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage (More than a year)

Pros

decent pay, office type atmosphere

Cons

no formal training, "Here's the procedure"....

Advice to Management

Formal training

Bait and Switch Hiring practice

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

8-5 job. I never had to do overtime except for a few times when it got very busy.

Cons

- Horrible training. Company just gives you some training documents and lets you figure things out on your own. - Unfriendly upper management. - No face to face interaction with direct manager. My manager was in India so we chatted via messenger. We never had a 1-on-1 talk about my career paths/goals or concerns. - The company posts Business Analyst positions for $50k/year but once hired, you are offered $40k/year. Also, title and description of job is very misleading because Business Analysts are actually pre-underwriters who are doing address verification, checking signatures, and other mundane, repetitive, brainless tasks. Yet the company administers IQ test during interview process.

Advice to Management

Please be upfront about job position and description of responsibilities and provide formal training so employees will feel like they are learning something about the industry. I wasted my time here.

Run

Current Employee - Loan Officer in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck, but a couple weeks ago, I had to call payroll and inform them that they only paid my base pay and forgot my commission. It took them over a week to mail out the additional money they owed me.

Cons

Sun West is in the process of outsourcing to India where they pay $.30 on the dollar. The Indian reps are very nice and take more abuse then most people in a lifetime, but since they're over 10,000 miles away and never have to deal with clients directly, there is a huge disconnect with how things work/translate in the USA. Since they lack empathy, the Indian reps can completely destroy a file/loan without the ramifications of actually explaining it to customers. They put it back on loan officer or state side processor (the few that are left) and tell you to move on. You can't rely on them to take accountability for their errors and even if they did, if they call the borrower, the loan officer will get a phone call asking why their personal information has been given to someone from India. There is no uniformity when it comes to underwriting, so you may be asked for an item on one file but not the next and this is a source of profound confusion. If you are a loan officer at Sun West, management will find a reason not to pay full commission on the file and you can't do anything about it. The best way to describe this company is to say that they are poverty pimps. Also, the fees associated with processing a loan are ridiculous. An example is charging .03% of the loan amount per day to extend a lock. I had a file at $411,500 and one lock extension cost $3703.50. Due to delays on our end, once the lock was extended for another 60 days, the total fee to the borrower was $11,110.50. I asked management to waive the fee since it was our fault, and they refused, so that tells me they are willing to lose a $411,500 loan over $11,110.50.

Advice to Management

Bring underwriting/processing/IT back to the states. Make a rule that there is one underwriter assigned to each file and the only reason another one would take over would be if the original underwriter is no longer with the company. Understand that the loan officers and borrowers are the reason they have a job and do whatever it takes to make them happy. Take responsibility for poor handling and make it right with the customers instead of ignoring the problem and hoping it goes away,

7. Not a great place to work

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

Shorter day (8:30-5:00). I can't think of anything else really. I didn't enjoy much here and I would not recommend it

Cons

Very strict environment. No talking is permitted. I was yelled at for chatting for a little bit. No cell phone use at all and they can't even be in view or possibility of termination. Email as well as web browsing monitored.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and let people have some freedom. There's nothing wrong with a little talking. Unhappy employees result in poor work

Horrible company, weak benefits, sweat shop

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time

Pros

After many years there, they do not like to move employees to manager positions. There's no training, jump into work right away. Management does not care about employees, they overload you with work from three departments and find excuses to not have out raises. I did get raises but know of others that still get paid the same from five years ago. There are no pros.

Cons

Miserable place, everyone is forced to frown n be grumpy because management is horrible and dictates dumb policies. Waste of time. You will never move up.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast benefits if you stay/last long enough.

Cons

One of the cheapest places I ever worked at. I read the reviews here and tried to ignore them but, they're true. I needed a job ASAP, I thought other places I worked at were cheap until I started here. They supposedly make money. Invest it in office equipment instead of way out dated computers, office equipment. High turnover. People coming and going. Clueless management. I don't know how the higher up woman on the 2nd floor can be everyone's "Boss" that is just idiotic. India messes up on things are you get blamed for it. No one listens to any advice. They have some people there that have no idea what they're doing. People bragging about drug use. People stealing cell phones. The place is a mess even if you do you work your way with no training provided you get berated. Only work here if you have no other choice and find elsewhere to work while working here.

Advice to Management

Losing all that money? treat people how you want to be treated. I know we're Americans but humanity is universal. I don't know how this place is still in business or haven't been sued into oblivion yet. Just move everything to India but I doubt the US government would let you or grant you whatever benefits they give you.

The management is clueless and does not know how to communicate or actually

I worked at Sun West Mortgage

Pros

The only pro was getting a paycheck

Cons

No communication and no direction as a company

Advice to Management

Develop a work culture and recognize employees for their effort

Employees are people too

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage

Pros

I have a job, and the pay is avg.

Cons

Remote underwriter sent home with used equipment

Advice to Management

Remember we are people not time clocks, not robots,.

RSS Feed </> Embed