Sun West Mortgage

Pavan Agarwal

Extremely Positive experience, Company is very straight forward

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Abrams, WI
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Abrams, WI

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy knowing exactly what the company you work for will do then work for Sun West as this is how they are.
    Company provide significant training to all employees on products and company policy.
    Honest pay for an honest job, you are compensated for your contributions.

Cons

Marketing ventures are a little slow, takes some time to get advertising approved.

Give the middle managers a little bit more latitude to make decisions and do advertising.

High pressure, high turnover, terrible training and unreliable office equipment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pro that I can think of at this time is that it offers a paycheck and a 40-hour work week. It was very convenient to commute to via public transit thanks to its proximity to the Cerritos Auto Square, Cerritos College and Los Cerritos Center.

Cons

Their new-hire training is very short and you're expected to know all the SOP's (procedures and tasks) in just a few days, then start meeting their high productivity levels immediately afterward. The proprietary cloud-based software the company uses to upload mortgage documents crashes and goes down on an almost daily basis. Their India-based IT team is overworked and overwhelmed trying to fix employees' desktop connections. Supervisors and trainers are blunt, rude, expect you to respond to tons of emails you weren't even aware were sent, and equipment is constantly breaking down. It's no wonder Sun West has such high employee turnover.

Have a more organized and professional training program. Stop patching leaks to SunSoft and Mortgage Online and rebuild them from the bottom up so they are reliable, robust and not constantly crashing. Bring the IT department back to America and have it in-house there in Cerritos. If a company isn't willing to spend a little money to develop reliable software and equipment, then it gets what it pays for. I finally quit in frustration because Sun West is a very dysfunctional operation. I would never work for this company again even if they paid me to! ;)

Total Disregard for Employee satisfaction

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage

Pros

It was better under Mascarella and Ahmari

Cons

Horrible leadership clearly only out for personal benefit. Unsanitary work conditions. Exploitative pay for wholesale and retail reps.

bad company

I have been working at Sun West Mortgage

Pros

I do not see any good thing in this company. Not good management.

Cons

Pay is super low, management is bad. Nothing to learn

Sun West Mortgage is on the rise!

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1: Life insurance 15k
    2: 401K 1% match ( you invest 100 dollar the company invest 1 dollar)
    3: No on call stuff.
    4: No code review, you can secretly check in code.
    5: No hot fix. If it crash, just let it crash.
    6: 100 dollar bonus at the end of the year.
    7: No fancy code. You are not allowed to use fancy technology as it is a financial company.

You will figure out how to survive in this company. Good luck!

Cons

1: No talk to other developers even if you don't know how to fix.
    2: Interesting code base and you will find many surprise in the code.
    3: The table in the database may has over 2000 columns. You will never figure out what does that mean as the previous developer has gone. You can guess.

They are smart. They don't need any advice.

Don't make the same mistake that I made

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Even though I tried really hard, I still can't find any positive experience with this company...

Cons

The company is so cheap, their salary offer is way below industry average. The management is very unprofessional. The way they evaluate performance is hilarious. Staying at this place is totally waste of life.

no advice, you won't listen anyway.

One unorganized mess.

Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Cerritos, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services Representative in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The owner of the company, Hari Argawal, is a sweet, elderly man. Always said hi and greeted me when I encountered him. Always wore clean white sneakers with his sleek business suit. Drove a Volvo and Toyota Highlander to work. Didn't take it upon himself to park in front of the office like some bigshot VIP. A man small in stature but seemingly had a good heart. I don't dare bash him.

Cons

About everything else. I endured this place for five years. I worked hard for the company and its customers.

Basically, it was misery spent in a cubicle. You work in a place where you are treated with little regard, are unappreciated, hardly respected, pretty much at the bottom of the work totem pole, despite the fact that the satisfaction of clients who help uphold the establishment depends on our hard work and servitude.

During my stay at Sun West, my department had seen the company go through 3 HR managers, seen 3 department managers come and go, two company-hired legal counsel persons resigned, and many people either quit or got fired. As far as I could see, while I was there, people were fired for unjustified or petty reasons. The best manager my department ever had resigned. He never disclosed his reason, but, we all could guess why. There's not just one thing wrong with Sun West Mortgage. There's a million.

After four and a half years of working hard, giving my all, working overtime and not getting paid for it, I fell ill and was forced to take a leave of absence. When I returned to work, my manager (who was the best they ever had!) had resigned, they had moved me to a completely different department with a different manager. Of course, I had no say in the matter. Even though I had been in my original department for four and a half years, that didn't matter. And even though they were aware of my disability, that didn't matter either. They were unsympathetic, and five days before my 5th year anniversary at Sun West, they terminated me. They actually did me a favor. It is not that I didn't have the courage to quit. The economy has been so bad, that you're pretty much stuck, and forced to stay because you have few other options....even as a college grad from a top UC school.

Treat your employees with respect. (Something I rarely experienced while there, with the exception of one manager of my department.) They are people, too. Reward them with praise or even ONE nice word when they do something well, and stop raising hell when they make a mistake. There's a reason all the good people are leaving. Think about that for a minute. Major changes need to take place in order for you to hold on to the good ones that are left.

unless considering a very temporary job, or you really dont like yourself, dont work here

Former Employee - Loan Servicing in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get a paycheck. Hopefully, all that is promised.

Cons

The so called "culture" and environment is horrific. Micromanagement doesn't begin to cover it. These people have no idea of how to successfully run a business. They place zero value on the employees, as every single successful business has proven to do. They strive to never ever be an Employer of Choice. I am amazed they havent been sued for all of thier illegal treatment and discrimination (or maybe they have, I dont know). The environment is that of a prison or concentration camp mentality.

Get a clue. Read a book about successful busineesses. I dont care. You guys are pathetic and sad. What you call "culture" is a wrong and extremely ineffective way to do business. Demotivating, belittling, and disrespecting employees and treating them like children and idiots is unacceptable. Keep hiring & firing - it will never improve if you dont change your ways. Good riddance.

I have never worked somewhere with worse management or treatment of employees

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cerritos, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Team of developers seemed to be a good group (Besides for their lead Guillermo) when I was there, however they mostly left now, and I doubt this is a pro any longer.

They don't allow working outside of the office, so when you go home you don't have to worry about the job anymore (Except that you might get fired the next day for no apparent reason).

Cons

Compensation is low for Software Development. You are expected to work long hours and finish work in a set amount of time with constantly changing criteria. If you dont finish you get scolded like a child or fired.

You are not allowed to communicate with other developers. If you are caught talking to another developer you are either written up or fired.

The CEO Pavan Agarwal and his crony Jennifer Vallinayagam will come to your shared cube and personally criticize you for not finishing a task on time (Out loud so the rest of the team can hear them), but I never once received a compliment for anything.

Its very hard to recommend advice to management since they will not listen to their employees much less reviews on Glassdoor. If I did have to attempt to give advice, it would be to begin thinking about your employees before making brash decisions about their tasks and treating them like slaves.

Horrible Company
    N ends to be shut DOWN

Former Employee - Loan Servicing in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Loan Servicing in Corona, CA

I worked at Sun West Mortgage full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working 8:30 to 5pm.
    Weekends off

Cons

To be honest I can't believe this company is still open. It's BEYOND. horrible. Worst company I ever worked for. Your treated like a slave. Management treated you like dirt. Didn't appreciate you or your hard work. You could say good morning they look you in your face and not say anything. Not to mention if there is a problem they will blast you in front of everyone. Instead of pulling you to the side like real business people do. You have to sign in and out to go to the bathroom. Only can go to the restroom on your lunch and 2 breaks. Not to mention everything you do is monitor. Then they take bonus overtime from your paycheck. You clock in at 8:29 they will be taking it out your bonus. I contacted the better business bureau about this and other issues.

You all need to appreciate your employees. You're supposed to be a team.

Sun West Mortgage Photos