Sun & Ski Sports

Updated April 2, 2014
Updated April 2, 2014

2.4

Barry Goldware

Incredible company with great vision and leadership!

Pros

Great brands, culture and opportunity! The company tries to do the "right thing" with the business and employees.

Cons

Continue to improve by listening to employees and implementing "best practices" that improve customer and employee experience.

If you have a passion for sports and want to feel under appreciated as an employee come work here!!

Pros

I really enjoyed showing up to work and sharing my passion for the outdoors and fitness with the customers and there is a lot of neat camps you can go to if you are lucky

Cons

There is a lot of politics in the upper management and they really don't care about the sales people or the ones that interact with the customers on a daily bases. They like to cut hours and run the store with the bare minimum and its hard for you to "CARE" for the customers when you have to be a jack of all trades.

This company is very wasteful and loves to cut down trees and wast paper. The pay isn't the greatest

Listen to your employees and do what you can to keep the experts you have and pay your employees more

Avoid like the plague

Pros

the selection of product is good if you are into outdoor activities
    the stores are visually appealing

Cons

poor business model
    will be out-competed by Internet sales in the near future
    horrible treatment of employees - pay, policies, etc.
    lack of alignment between company values and the practice of those values

Take a hard look at your company values and consider if they really are being practiced.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much middle management and does not listen to employee feedback.

Pros

As with any job in the outdoor industry the discounts are the best part. That's about all I can about this company.

Cons

There is a lot of middle management. If I need a particular thing I have to ask the store manager who then has to get approval of several other people. I have been asking for tools not that we need, but tools that we /have/ to have as a ski shop. Even after explaining its for customer safety, they tell me I'm not a professional and that I don't need these tools. I have been trying for months to get tools that I need. When they finally listened to me and ordered some, they only ordered a portion of what I needed. I have to have the others for these tools to work. So I now have a box of tools I can't use.

They did a lot of pay cuts last year. A lot of employees are below minimum wage and are expected to make that up in commission. I had to fight for what I am getting paid now, and it took over a month of explaining that other people in my position make more than minimum wage. Way more than minimum wage. They like to fly some of their people from corporate office around to check up on each of their stores very often. Instead of flying them around they should trust their GMs, save a little money there and pay their employees more.

They also do not pay their bills to some of our suppliers. I've tried to log in to order parts for customers and get a prompt saying I was unable to log in. When I call the supplier to see whats going and to order from there, they say the bills haven't been paid and that I wont be able to get the parts at cost.

They do not recognize that some of the employees that they do have are experts in their areas. When we make suggestions they treat us like we are morons and go about and do things their own way.

At our store in particular, we've lost 5 extremely good bike mechanics (2 went to competing shops and 1 went on to start his on bike business), 2 ski techs/boot fitters and multiple good sales associates. The company did not care and are not trying to replace them. Instead they say we don't need them. Which, in fact, we do need them. These people were very knowledgable about the things we sale and how to work on them. Now we have a handful of people that sorta kinda maybe know a little bit about something.

Listen to your employees, some of us are knowledgable. Do what you can to keep the experts you have. Stop flying in to every store to check up. Pay your employees more.

Easiest Job in the world...but idiots run the company!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Webster, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Webster, TX

Pros

Laid-back, easy-going environment where every one is having a great time!! Feels like a family because you actually become friends with everyone!!

Cons

No over-time after working over 40 hrs. During the holiday season (Nov-Jan) you work 60+ hrs a week with only 1 day off a week...the reward is 1 extra week of vacation. Not worth it!

Nonrecognition of hard work and horrible hours to the best sellers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The employees are very nice and you get a decent employee discount. Also, there is a major selection of great brands.

Cons

Where to begin: first of all you're working on below minimum wage because you get 2% commission on whatever you sell - however you have to sell at least $2,000/day of merchandise to make around $9/hour. The managers constantly push you to "connect" with the customers, however it gets to a point where it's borderline harassment. Furthermore, you are not recognized for your hard work or your selling abilities as is evidenced by the horrible amount of hours they give you. Nobody gets more than 30 hours/week and the average is about 20 hours/week. Each day I met my projected goal (which is nearly impossible) and I was never rewarded with more hours. Typical hegemonic corporate policies.

Recognize your best sellers and give them more hours. It's a pretty simple philosophy. If one of your employees is constantly selling way below their goal, then fire them. Don't punish those who work hard and sell a lot by shortening their hours. This provides no incentive to truly work your hardest.

just fine till up management change!! Barry Goldware left

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

last couple of years none!

Cons

upper management.. lack of product.. they think they better at customer service than they are!

if you are a kiss ass!!

Learn a lot about the sports you love

Pros

Great training, Good people, excellent perks

Cons

Not very good pay, little to no advancement oppertunities

Pay your staff, they keep the lights on

Micromanaged, disorganized, un-trusting policies that waste time and money when they could just install cameras.

Former Employee - Bike Mechanic  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Bike Mechanic in Dallas, TX

Pros

If you live for sports that they sell, then the discounts and free swag that reps give out are amazing.

Cons

Not good if you don't live for sports. 1% commission... with most days less than 20 potential customers in the store and 4 sales people.

Listen, have schedules ready at least the day before, not the day after a shift. Don't change schedules last minute and not tell your employees. If they request off a month in advance, or have school, honor it. Trust your staff. Don't yell at them. Talk to higher ups about stupid policies that cost more money than the 'solutions' they solve. If you want people to want to move up, be a person they want to be. Not stressed out, cranky, annoyed, aloof, or angry at everyone.

Disorganized typical box retail chain, they only care about money and upper management

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Paid Vacation & Holidays, Dental / Insurance, & 401K

Great selection of products to sell customers

Product training and demo if your in a management position.

Typical retail job with some nice co workers

Cons

Corporate only cares about "WOW"ing the customer and profits. This shows in extremely high turn over from retail to within the corporate structure.

Like others have said GM's & DM's will throw ANYONE under the buss to protect there jobs. Everything is the stores fault always and corporate couldn't be bothered with constructive
    criticism or honest feedback. I noticed this within my 1st month of employment

During key season it's very easy to average 100plus hours a pay period. You'll average about 10/hr if your lucky! Most of your sales staff (high school / college kids) will be averaging an higher pay hourly plus be offered commission.

"CARE" about your employees more...

Management is afraid to follow COMPANY PROCEDURES because in your eyes the customer is ALWAYS right..

Worked for Sun & Ski Sports? Contribute to the Community!