Sun & Ski Sports Reviews

30 reviews filtered by
Barry Goldware

1. Love it

I worked at Sun & Ski Sports

Pros

great place, great people, competitive pay, incredible discounts

Cons

hours, hours, hours. It's retail, they have extended hours, and holiday hours and tent sales, but watch your hours, or you get in trouble.

Be real, you don't work the same hours as the retail guy, and we are making the money for you too.

2. Growing company that still tries to make every employee feel like a part of the team.

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports

Pros

Great access to anyone in the company.

Cons

Seasonality makes staffing challenging unless you prove yourself an asset.

Never forget to train on what your expectations are.

3. Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Get to control your own sales. You have daily and weekly goals to work towards. Winter season provides a lot more opportunity to increase your earning commission. Many opportunities to excel in the company

Cons

The summer season you barely make any money.

Offer more consistent hands on training.

5. Cashier

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports

Pros

It was a fun place to work

Cons

It got really boring sometimes

6. It's been a learning experience, but I've stayed at the same position where I started.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Webster, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Webster, TX

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent discounts, interesting workshops often come in, and the overall experience is fun.

Cons

The environment can become needlessly competitive at times, which can be irksome. It often makes the job feel like a car dealership job, when in fact we are selling much less important products.

7. Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're an outdoor sports enthusiast, then the job come pretty natural. I can only speak for the Cincinnati location, but due to its size there was a Ski shop like feel with a sense of family. Ski passes, industry promos and contests make the pay somewhat tolerable. I would consider this a college job.

Cons

Management had little clue what they were doing. Long hours for little pay. Recognition of staff was almost nonexistent. In store promotions make the place feel cheap and gimmicky. The brands and inventory is bleak at best.

Management has to find better staffing techniques to bring on a more informed staff. The turn over of in store promotions killed the ski shop feel and left you feeling more like a used car salesmen. The pressure to make any sale is too high. I have seen too many people being sold things that were too advanced for them just to push product.

8. Incredible company with great vision and leadership!

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brands, culture and opportunity! The company tries to do the "right thing" with the business and employees.

Cons

Continue to improve by listening to employees and implementing "best practices" that improve customer and employee experience.

9. If you have a passion for sports and want to feel under appreciated as an employee come work here!!

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed showing up to work and sharing my passion for the outdoors and fitness with the customers and there is a lot of neat camps you can go to if you are lucky

Cons

There is a lot of politics in the upper management and they really don't care about the sales people or the ones that interact with the customers on a daily bases. They like to cut hours and run the store with the bare minimum and its hard for you to "CARE" for the customers when you have to be a jack of all trades.

This company is very wasteful and loves to cut down trees and wast paper. The pay isn't the greatest

Listen to your employees and do what you can to keep the experts you have and pay your employees more

10. Avoid like the plague

I worked at Sun & Ski Sports full-time

Pros

the selection of product is good if you are into outdoor activities
    the stores are visually appealing

Cons

poor business model
    will be out-competed by Internet sales in the near future
    horrible treatment of employees - pay, policies, etc.
    lack of alignment between company values and the practice of those values

Take a hard look at your company values and consider if they really are being practiced.

11. Too much middle management and does not listen to employee feedback.

I have been working at Sun & Ski Sports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As with any job in the outdoor industry the discounts are the best part. That's about all I can about this company.

Cons

There is a lot of middle management. If I need a particular thing I have to ask the store manager who then has to get approval of several other people. I have been asking for tools not that we need, but tools that we /have/ to have as a ski shop. Even after explaining its for customer safety, they tell me I'm not a professional and that I don't need these tools. I have been trying for months to get tools that I need. When they finally listened to me and ordered some, they only ordered a portion of what I needed. I have to have the others for these tools to work. So I now have a box of tools I can't use.

They did a lot of pay cuts last year. A lot of employees are below minimum wage and are expected to make that up in commission. I had to fight for what I am getting paid now, and it took over a month of explaining that other people in my position make more than minimum wage. Way more than minimum wage. They like to fly some of their people from corporate office around to check up on each of their stores very often. Instead of flying them around they should trust their GMs, save a little money there and pay their employees more.

They also do not pay their bills to some of our suppliers. I've tried to log in to order parts for customers and get a prompt saying I was unable to log in. When I call the supplier to see whats going and to order from there, they say the bills haven't been paid and that I wont be able to get the parts at cost.

They do not recognize that some of the employees that they do have are experts in their areas. When we make suggestions they treat us like we are morons and go about and do things their own way.

At our store in particular, we've lost 5 extremely good bike mechanics (2 went to competing shops and 1 went on to start his on bike business), 2 ski techs/boot fitters and multiple good sales associates. The company did not care and are not trying to replace them. Instead they say we don't need them. Which, in fact, we do need them. These people were very knowledgable about the things we sale and how to work on them. Now we have a handful of people that sorta kinda maybe know a little bit about something.

Listen to your employees, some of us are knowledgable. Do what you can to keep the experts you have. Stop flying in to every store to check up. Pay your employees more.

Sun & Ski Sports Photos

A fancy bike for a customer / friend

+ Add Photo