SunAmerica

Be The First To
Add Photos

SunAmerica Chairman and CEO Jay S. Wintrob

Jay S. Wintrob

Great company; great people; great product/service

Vice President Networks (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsSunAmerica/AIG SunAmerica/AIG Retirement Services is a great company; great people; great product/service and gave back to the community. The executive management were great.

ConsThe Financial Services Industry is hectic, fast paced, and at times, unforgiving. Mistakes can directly cost the company money, reputation damage, and quickly cost an employee their job.

Investment Accountant

Investment Accountant (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGreat pay and work life balance

ConsSlow paced and difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train to keep employees sharp.

Good

ProsNot to stressfully. good work life balance

ConsManagement is at times not knowledgeable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Change, Change, Change

FTE (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe beneifts are great. Some of the employees are good to work with.

ConsThere isnt much good left as the business in blended into the huge corporate environment. The company has a gloom within the building. The personal feel has gone with the growth of AIG into the small company and all teh jobs moving from CA to TX and NJ. Too many managers who would be better off being a non-manager. Too much work, not enough time or help and little training. Lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the workers, not just the maangers. There are plenty of managers who should not be in their positions.

Challenging, yet rewarding

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGreat benefits, 401K and Pension, plus great paid time off benefits

ConsCulture needs a boost from senior employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter recruiting.

Good Company! Great People!!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGood number of job oppurtunities in IT and the Operations area.
    Good Program Management & SDLC standards.
    Decent Pay for jobs in the IT area.
    Open for temporary work permit/visa holders like H1-B, L1 etc.

ConsRigid Organization Structure - not an easy task to get a a big promotion soon.
    Talent recognition and retention.

They promised me leadership opportunities but only gave me lip service

Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe pay is competitive
    Once you leave your workday your job is complete. No phone calls at home
    Your inside sales coworkers are easy going and not nosy
    Lavish sales conferences once a year
    Lavish due diligence trips for advisors held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel

ConsManagement has their head up their A$$
    They don't care about keeping qualified talent
    They are more a quantity than quality company
    Layoffs certainly don't help anyone
    No job growth. Once you are an internal you will stay as one. You will NEVER be an external wholesaler!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promise leadership training and growth opportunities when you do not intend on fulfilling your promise. Keep qualified talent happy. If not, they will leave to higher paying companies that are NOT in financial struggle. Reverse stock split is a joke.

Horrible Sr. Management....ZERO opportunity for career growth...no possibilities for increase salary or commissions.

Regional Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsDespite the terrible management at the company...your teammates are good people. The office is clean and comfortable. You get a working phone and computer. The office is air conditioned.

ConsSr. Management doesn't care about its employees. They tend to fire people all the time. The job is not worth the trouble. You run the risk of getting a black mark on your U5 and Ending your financial services career by working at this company. They have silly metrics that can only decrease your pay. No promotions...No cost of living adjustment...No career pathing. More sales = commission reductions for you as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Sr. Management needs to start caring about their employees. The employees have been beaten down so much that moral is non existent. It's a sales desk...the emphasis should be on sales and making more money for everyone.

Lousy management, decent pay, dead end job

Regional Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe coworkers were one of the only reasons I stayed at SunAmerica for as long as I did. The pay is industry average but one of the quirks I didn't understand was that if you actually did well and had a great month, your basis points were actually reduced. Didn't make any sense to me.

ConsLousy management, nobody listens to the feedback from the sales team. Internals are treated as second class citizens and there are zero opportunities for growth or promotion to an external sales role. If there are any other opportunities for another position within the company, they aren't advertised and you have to go through an antiquated system to find them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your internal sales staff a good reason to stay, don't talk about career opportunities and then hide them. All it says is that you want them to stay exactly where they are and never advance.

Trainwreck

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Amarillo, TX

ProsPay is excellent, bonuses are not guaranteed but when paid are nice. Benefits are adequate to good.

ConsUpper management in this company is much like a train stuck in forward gear on its way down an unfinished track toward catastrophe. They make decisions based on paper analysis and do not consider their hired experts' opinions. Once the decision is made, they will not revert from it no longer how disasterous the outcome. Their favorite phrase is, "That ship has sailed". They fail to acknowledge when that "ship" has actually sunk.

They seem to promote arrogance over skill and have a love of the micro-management style of management. This company aged me drastically. I felt respected by my immediate manager, but no-one above him. They are quick to point the finger away from themselves when something they decided goes completely wrong, and they are even quicker to point the finger at themselves when the result of your good efforts produces good results.

Unless things change at the CIO level down to the vp levels, I would never in good conscience recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who do the work. Ask for their feedback and take it seriously. These are the experts. No matter how good something looks on paper, if the people you hired to be the experts for the item you are considering think it is a bad idea, you really need to listen to them.

Let the people do their jobs. Micro-management is a horrible style to manage by. You do not need 100 pages of documentation each time one of the experts needs to perform a task.

Quit being to terrified to let them do what they do best. You are not the expert. They are. Let them do their job whether you truly understand it or not. You are currently a hinderance.

Offer true accountability to them. Both positive and negative reinforcement should be employed. You are notorious for focussing on negative. If you treat your IT folks right, you will ultimately prosper. You treat them like a necessary evil, and you will ultimately fail.

And for goodness sake, look after your employees' needs. You should be trying to retain those who truly are the experts and who perform above all standards. More and more this company appears to only try to retain those it would actually be better off without.

Jay, ultimately it rolls up to you. I do not personnally have anything against you other than the choices you helped make in the personnel department at the executive levels.

Worked for SunAmerica? Contribute to the Community!