SunAmerica

Add Photos

SunAmerica Chairman and CEO Jay S. Wintrob

Jay S. Wintrob

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company; great people; great product/service

Vice President Networks (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsSunAmerica/AIG SunAmerica/AIG Retirement Services is a great company; great people; great product/service and gave back to the community. The executive management were great.

ConsThe Financial Services Industry is hectic, fast paced, and at times, unforgiving. Mistakes can directly cost the company money, reputation damage, and quickly cost an employee their job.

Investment Accountant

Investment Accountant (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGreat pay and work life balance

ConsSlow paced and difficult to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCross train to keep employees sharp.

Change, Change, Change

FTE (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe beneifts are great. Some of the employees are good to work with.

ConsThere isnt much good left as the business in blended into the huge corporate environment. The company has a gloom within the building. The personal feel has gone with the growth of AIG into the small company and all teh jobs moving from CA to TX and NJ. Too many managers who would be better off being a non-manager. Too much work, not enough time or help and little training. Lack of communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the workers, not just the maangers. There are plenty of managers who should not be in their positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company! Great People!!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGood number of job oppurtunities in IT and the Operations area.
    Good Program Management & SDLC standards.
    Decent Pay for jobs in the IT area.
    Open for temporary work permit/visa holders like H1-B, L1 etc.

ConsRigid Organization Structure - not an easy task to get a a big promotion soon.
    Talent recognition and retention.

They promised me leadership opportunities but only gave me lip service

Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe pay is competitive
    Once you leave your workday your job is complete. No phone calls at home
    Your inside sales coworkers are easy going and not nosy
    Lavish sales conferences once a year
    Lavish due diligence trips for advisors held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel

ConsManagement has their head up their A$$
    They don't care about keeping qualified talent
    They are more a quantity than quality company
    Layoffs certainly don't help anyone
    No job growth. Once you are an internal you will stay as one. You will NEVER be an external wholesaler!

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promise leadership training and growth opportunities when you do not intend on fulfilling your promise. Keep qualified talent happy. If not, they will leave to higher paying companies that are NOT in financial struggle. Reverse stock split is a joke.

Horrible Sr. Management....ZERO opportunity for career growth...no possibilities for increase salary or commissions.

Regional Marketing Associate (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsDespite the terrible management at the company...your teammates are good people. The office is clean and comfortable. You get a working phone and computer. The office is air conditioned.

ConsSr. Management doesn't care about its employees. They tend to fire people all the time. The job is not worth the trouble. You run the risk of getting a black mark on your U5 and Ending your financial services career by working at this company. They have silly metrics that can only decrease your pay. No promotions...No cost of living adjustment...No career pathing. More sales = commission reductions for you as an employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Sr. Management needs to start caring about their employees. The employees have been beaten down so much that moral is non existent. It's a sales desk...the emphasis should be on sales and making more money for everyone.

Lousy management, decent pay, dead end job

Regional Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe coworkers were one of the only reasons I stayed at SunAmerica for as long as I did. The pay is industry average but one of the quirks I didn't understand was that if you actually did well and had a great month, your basis points were actually reduced. Didn't make any sense to me.

ConsLousy management, nobody listens to the feedback from the sales team. Internals are treated as second class citizens and there are zero opportunities for growth or promotion to an external sales role. If there are any other opportunities for another position within the company, they aren't advertised and you have to go through an antiquated system to find them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your internal sales staff a good reason to stay, don't talk about career opportunities and then hide them. All it says is that you want them to stay exactly where they are and never advance.

Current Opinion

Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe people you work with make the working environment ejoyable. There are many challenges and opportunity for growth to mid-level management.

ConsAdvancement past mid-level management positions are few. Transferring to a different maybe a little difficult. If you want to advance and are interested in taking classes management can sometimes make this difficult and hard to accomplish, unless you do it on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is an important tool and should be utilized more. Be open to suggestions and be more flexible.

Internal Wholesaler

Regional Marketing Associate/Internal Wholesaler (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsThe pros for working at SunAmerica is the training they offer to new employees. They spend about 3 weeks on product training and an additional 5 weeks for licensing.

ConsManagement is not as organized and don't know what to do with new employees. Didn't see much growth opportunities within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen hiring on new employees, I don't feel like they know what to do with them. Management should really plan ahead.

Cannot Recommend

Internal Wholesaler (Current Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

ProsGood place to learn the ropes of the business. Good place to start out and meet people in the industry.

ConsBottom line is that I could not recommend this job to any of my friends. It is not a motivating place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to focus less on processes in which they can control employees. The focus should be more on employee development and motivation.

Worked for SunAmerica? Contribute to the Community!