SunEdison

Updated December 14, 2014
3.4

SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Pros
  • Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place for people who are clear on what they want from their career (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover, probably was at least one person leaving per week and then the layoffs began (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy - far too many chiefs (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Ideal environment for highly motivated, bold people looking to make an impact in both their workplace and the world

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During my 5 years in the company, I have never had a dull moment, I have never stopped learning. I have always felt I had a direct impact on the bottom line of the company despite joining the company at only 29. And I feel I am fairly remunerated for my work. SunEdison is a true meritocracy where one will be given as much responsibility as one is capable/willing to take. In this sense and to a certain extent, it has some of the pros of much smaller businesses.

Cons

SunEdison is an innovative company part of a sector (alternative energy) that's experiencing a revolution. And a lot of growth. As a consequence, pace is intense and structures/processes (the company itself) change regularly. If you dislike change and dynamic environments, this might not be the best place for you.

Keep on focusing/narrowing our strategy and rationalizing the management structure. As we get bigger, it might be the right time to start focusing (beyond growth) on consolidating the company from both an OpEx control and efficiency perspective.

Challenging highly dynamic environment for the curious yet humble leaders looking to make a difference in the world

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a true meritocracy where you will be challenged on a daily basis but given the tools and exposure to get things done then SunEdison is the place for you. The renewable energy industry is a fast growth environment which has a duality of purpose in that it generates strong returns for shareholders whilst still having a positive impact on the world we live in. The leadership team is world class and truly lives the values they communicate and leads by example on a daily basis

Cons

SunEdison is not for someone looking for a stable environment with a ton of rigid processes and approval loops. SunEdison averages 90% growth every year and with that comes change, rapid decision making and development of processes and systems that need to be enhanced on an annual basis. I would not recommend this company for someone looking for a lot of structure in their day to day working lives, on the other hand I would recommend it to someone looking to implement structures as lean and project management are highly valued and sought after skills.

Keep communicating, we understand the need for change and we all joined SunEdison to have a positive impact in this world and to one day tell our children that we participated in this clean energy revolution. Keep reiterating the strategy and where we have come from as this has been a long journey started many years ago and our success is based on this vision built by you.

Leader in Innovation, This is the Company you Want to be in Today and Tomorrow

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

I have a tendency to view personal and professional things from an analytical perspective. There are few things that are right after my heart and I use these things as my guiding philosophy to make personal and professional decisions. And if they are yours too , then I hope this review will help. The list below is not necessarily have an order of importance, but if it was, then Women Empowerment would stand Right as Number 1.
    1. Women Empowerment.
    2. Socially Responsible
    3. Actively promoting a Culture of Bonding and Respect among all.
    4. Actively promoting Diversity
    5. Leading in Innovation to make the World a Better place to live!
    6. Strong prospects to grow vertically and also diversify oneself.

When I joined a year ago, SunEdison was just a "Solar Company". But this Ship is leading innovation in one of the most challenging areas unlike the “tech glamor” companies.

For those right out of college - a great place to learn and grow and make right choices in your career. Yes you have the tools like mentorship etc. Just ask and be open.
    For those in mid or advanced career, there are equally good opportunities to scale heights in a company that is growing rapidly.

It feels great experience the leadership of a Truly Visionary CEO Mr. Ahmad Chatila, who has taken this ship from a Solar brand to a World's largest Renewable Developer.

From my own experience starting at SunEdison, my recommendation to everyone is in
    your First week , put on a Name label , just go around everyone's cube saying Hello" and introduce yourself.

Don't be surprised if one gentleman comes around from the corner , puts his hand across to you , for a handshake and says " Hello I am Ahmad.."

I am currently employed with SunEdison . And this is a purely unbiased opinion.

I am positive that you will experience each and every word I write here

Cons

Some misfit people are filling in the shoes of "Leaders" and trusted by the CEO. The reason of stating individuals as "misfit" is primarily 3 fold.
    1. Poor communicator. And by that I don't mean speaking English in accent.
    2. Demonstrating a strategic lack of understanding of the landscape.
    3. Being empowered, rather then influencing change, they complain and offer excuses and division politics.

Such qualities only build toxicity in the organization with progress of time. The toxicity is already building and does not seem obvious under the guise of Company Culture.

Please stay on course set by Ahmad no matter how busy you are.
    Please continue demonstrating One Company One Culture Values .
    They send a Clear and Loud tacit Message even though it might not seem obvious from the surface.

4 stars go to senior management because there are a few individuals planted as "leaders" who still need to work on their EQ and fit the bill, though

Great company

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Leader in renewable energy, great work environment, challenging projects

Cons

Hiring process could be lengthy

Great place to work

Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience, ability to get lots of reponsibility, creative and smart colleagues.

Cons

Fast paced environment, not for everyone.

Anyone considering working at SunEdison should understand that it is an environment of high growth and fast pace.

Current Employee - Regional Sales in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SunEdison has put an enormous emphasis on creating a world class culture with a focus on building a business around intelligent & efficient people. I was excited about working for SunEdison because of the growth potential of the company; I have stayed at SunEdison because of the people I am surrounded by.

If you are considering coming to SunEdison I would only encourage you to think about the difference between “going to a job” and “building a business.” At SunEdison we are all intensely focused on building a business with a #1 focus of transforming lives with our innovative energy solutions. In other words, it's not just a job...

Cons

We sometimes work long hours, cannot rely on others to create solutions to problems, and are not always praised for our “wins.” Work life can be an issue if you are not able to effectively manage it.

Look for ways to improve culture and opportunity for remote employees.

The company with vision, culture and future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) The leadership teams are with vision and ambition, investing in the talents to expand the potentials
    2) The company has cultivated the right values and culture, such as appreciation, accountability, teamwork
    3) The company has strong talent pools with deep industry experience and technical skills
    4) The company has clear directions and focus on growth
    5) The company has invested in the continuous improvements and transformation projects

Cons

1) The process will need to be in place and flexible
    2) The infrastructure will need to catch up with the fast growth

Always changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Peters, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Peters, MO

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Large company and always changing. The turnover rate seems to be pretty high which means you can move up fairly quickly if you are willing to stick it out.

Cons

Company is always changing, it's hard for employees to keep up, everyone is new and sort uses their own method to do things.

Greatest Company to Work For

Current Employee - Director of Business Operations in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Director of Business Operations in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SunEdison is by far the most dynamic, employee development oriented company I worked for. Our company strive on its workforce diversity and ability to come togehter as a team and drive results.
    SunEdison is very committed to develop a strong corporate culture, in which "Together we Win" attitude is engrained in our DNA. People are empowered and accountable, the Management is always receptive to everyone's input.
    The company's Leadership Team is very competent, and implemented a winning strategy that positioned SunEdison as the indistry leader.

Cons

I cannot think of cons, since we have too much excitement. You have to be prepared to travel, work hard and embrace our culture if you want to join our team. Hardly a con.

I have been in at least six to seven companies, from pre-revenue startups to multi-billion multi-national corporation.
    I can say to our Management: Stay the course, continue to work hard in forging a strong winning and values based culture, keep leading the industry with a gam changing vision.

Roller-coaster ride..the company is moving very fast and growing rapidly. Much better place to work than used to be

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SunEdison full-time

Pros

Great People, benefits getting better, culture improving, lots to learn, great experience, never dull

Cons

Lots of hours, systems lacking (but being upgraded), training,

Promote from within instead of hiring externally