SunEdison Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
2.8

SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

World class talent and problem-solvers

Current Employee - Director, Operational Excellence in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Operational Excellence in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Energetic, execution-oriented people. We act and work as a team to accomplish aggressive targets. Senior management provides a lot of Lean, Proj mgmt, and Culture training, and walks the walk.

Cons

While we're quickly building the systems to enable growth, it is a challenge in the current state.

Culture is the key!

Current Employee - Director in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined SunEdison this year and it has been an amazing experience. I had heard from the SunEdison employees that recruited me to the company how great the culture is here and they were spot on! The senior leaders walk the talk and their involvement permiates throughout the organization. My coworkers are fantastic! They are smart, talented professionals that are gracious, humble and extremely helpful. Together we win is not just a saying around here...it is true!

Cons

The only con is that I didn't join SunEdison sooner!

Keep up the focus on driving the world class culture! It is making a measurable difference!

Terrible managers

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's solar. Great way to help the world's energy shortage and go green. Some very excellent and helpful employees. Product marketing group and data analytics are good.

Cons

Some managers rarely come to work. Other managers treat their employees like dirt. Teamwork is heavily discouraged. Upper level management doesn't care.

Get a hold of your low level managers and make them treat their employees as valued people.

Some good people exist...

I worked at SunEdison full-time

Pros

Some co-workers were great to work with. Some were very sincere in trying to make their processes improved. A lot of good and smart people. Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations.

Cons

Very political; high turnover rate; some management were condescending, rude and disrespectful; decisions made not based on facts but on opinions, not transparent; management by fear.

walk the talk; listen to employees; make use of data for decisions.

Research Collaboration with SunEdison

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Great engineers, passionate about semiconductor industry, always strive for the cutting-edged technology

Cons

The working environment in St. Peters site could be better.

A lot of organizational change, with plenty of opportunity for the ambitious

Current Employee - Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Constant change reveals opportunity for promotion for individuals.
    2. Major player in all solar segments, so great place to build diverse knowledge base
    3. Strong finance team in all major geographies

Cons

1. turnover at senior management level.
    2. Too many offices and employees working remotely.
    3. Can be bureaucratic at times
    4. poor software and IT processes

Focus on key initiatives. Be selective on focus areas.

Great and Smart employees but everyone is scared of the CEO!!

Current Employee - Power Marketing in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Power Marketing in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart folks working at the company. They just have to be given the chance to share their ideas without fear of reprisal.

Cons

-Awful awful culture. Everyone is scared in their boots from the CEO. He talks about improving culture a lot but it's him that's the problem.
    -No one is allowed to ask questions or speak up
    -CEO is a megalomaniac
    -CEO is very erratic in his decisions

Bond together and don't allow this culture of fear and bullying dominate the company. Where is HR???

Serious inter-company communication issues

Former Employee - SDP in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - SDP in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company has such bad communication issues that nobody knows where you are supposed to be or what you're supposed to be doing. You can come in at noon if you want to, leave at 1 pm every day. You can just not come to work for 3 days straight. It doesn't matter. So if that sounds appealing to you, that could be a pro.

A legitimate huge pro is the fact that it is in the Bay Area. This is probably the main selling point for most of the out-of-college recruits. There's also lots of parking so you won't have to worry about that.

Cons

1. Huge lack of communication and accountability

I worked here as a college intern. They were paying me very well for my career. Yet, I had zero responsibility. Zero tasks to do, zero deadlines, zero challenges. I'm pretty sure I could get to the office at noon and leave at 2 pm and no one would notice because no one needed me for anything. I could have left for an entire week without telling anyone and no one would have been able to tell: I would have missed no meetings, no e-mails, no phone calls. Though my case was pretty extreme, I had other friends in the company that also, had absolutely nothing to do and just sat around and got paid for it. Keep in mind that's after getting paid pretty handsomely for an intern ($25+/hr) and with the "manager" swearing you had stuff to do. Keep in mind also that I consistently and relentlessly bugged people for work. A total waste of money for SunEdison and a total waste of time for the interns. Speaks volumes about the company's lack of control over its own employees.

To potential university recruits from prestigious schools: if you have OPTIONS, which you probably do, do NOT choose SunEdison. Please. I have many friends at Exxon, Chevron, Shell, which are having a phenomenal time, have tasks to do, and are clearly been challenged. This internship was so bad, I am literally leaving it off my resume.

2. Doesn't pay well

If you're an engineer from a top school, SunEdison is going to come and offer you 55k out of school with a straight face when the average starting engineering salary for top schools is 75k. They will lowball you out of 20k out of school. Not worth it. Again, if you have options, look elsewhere.

Stop hiring people. The company is so obsessed with growing as fast as possible that they hire people nonstop, regardless whether new people are needed or not. This leaves a lot of new people with nothing to do: wasted dollars and manpower for SunEdison. Furthermore, hiring so many people all the time means that the new people never get a chance to "adapt" to the company. As a result, you can be in floor and have a dozen vastly different management styles. The company is simply not cohesive. If the company doesn't keep this in check, they are going to go the way of PeopleExpress.

Excellent summer internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Solar Development Program in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Development Program in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Exposure to multiple groups within the company, great hands-on experience, excellent people to work with.

Cons

The summer is very short, and I would have liked to stay longer.

Long hours, good people, poor management

Current Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the team I work with. The people care and are all over worked, but still willing to try to help you.

Cons

Management changes every few months. It is very hard to get promoted when you have 5 managers in 2 years. The company is confused about what it is doing and where it is going. Broken workflows, inconsistent direction (because every management change comes with a new agenda). Poor cash management, lack of resources, unrealistic expectations, etc...

Promote from within, follow best project management practices, make data driven decisions, not political ones. Provide stock to everyone, not just Directors and above.