SunEdison Reviews

98 reviews filtered by
4.0
SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Pros
  • Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place for people who are clear on what they want from their career (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover, probably was at least one person leaving per week and then the layoffs began (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy - far too many chiefs (in 2 reviews)

1. A company that truly cares for its employees

Current Employee - Senior Director in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has great career growth opportunities and is exploding with growth. The company encourages taking ownership and values leadership qualities. SunEdison has undergone phenomenal culture transformation which has truly shaped the work culture in a positive way. The CEO and management are truly committed to making SunEdison a work class company. The company recently instituted a new benefits (including paternity leave, college assistance etc) that makes it best in class. Personally, for me the main reason I am committed to the company is its CEO. The CEO is truly a visionary and un-paralled in how much he cares about his employees. Does not matter what level you are in the organization - if he recognizes talent he will make sure that they are given opportunities to excel.

Cons

Has a very strong entrepreneurial culture partly driven by the changing dynamics of the industry and rapid growth the company has seen. If one is not able to keep pace with some of the changes, they will not last long.

Keep up the great work and continue to focus on execution. Please continue to grow your top talent and ensure that they thrive in the organization.

Committed to being World Class

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great accountability of the senior management to improving the culture and in making SunEdison a world class benefits company. The CEO puts his money where his mouth is. Significant improvement in benefits this year. Company is focused on growth and people who want to progress have every opportunity.

Cons

Too many new initiatives, changes in strategy, cause execution to be slow in some cases.

Stay focused on execution. Fast pace and world wide organization forces employees to manage work life balance individually.

3. Transforming the energy markets

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1> Great culture, driven by purpose and values, and always looking for ways to enhance benefits that are currently world class including 12 weeks maternity leave and 4 weeks paternity leave fully paid, flex time, etc
    2> Best strategic positioning in transforming the world from fossil fuels to clean, affordable, and reliable renewable energy.
    3> Significant progress on women in leadership, diversity and inclusion but it is work in progress

Cons

very long hours, changing priorities as the opportunities for growth are massive in nature, some pockets in company move slower than others, some clean up still required from past decisions circa 2005 to 2008

Stay focused on culture, diversity and inclusion. Executive staff must focus on customers and our partners globally. More is always better there.

5. Emerging company with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Solar Leadership Program Associate in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Leadership Program Associate in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

SunEdison is a great place for ambitious people. As you prove that you are capable, you are given more responsibility and more interesting work. It is a dynamic work place, which is energizing and provides lots of opportunities for people to move internally to find the best fit jobs.

Cons

The chaos can be tough to navigate and the lack of structure can be frustrating at times.

Focus on the basics

6. Industry Shaping Growth and Thought Leadership

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

* Strong emphasis on culture and folding acquired company talent into the team (lots of improvement in past two years)
    * Management pushes creativity and finding new solutions. SunEdison successfully launched semi-conductor and operating asset IPOs recently and now has competitors struggling to keep up
    * Incentives are clearly linked to critical aspects of the business and improving value
    * Very fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture

Cons

* Fast-paced environment can be challenging, requires the right fit. Great opportunities for those who excel

7. Opportunity of a lifetime

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

+ exciting to have a meaningful role in changing the lives of so many people around the world
    + confidence from management to express my opinions, develop my skills, join teams and be creative
    + proud to be part of a group of employees that are confident and excited for the challenges in the industry

Cons

+ industry leading structures & rapid growth requires agility and flexibility. This is a trait that oftentimes must be learned

+ continue to draw in diverse talent, from various industry backgrounds and regions
    + continue to offer flexible working arrangements, opportunities for advancement, and opportunities for transfer into new areas of the business

The results are there to see!

Current Employee - Director of Operations in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Operations in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ahmad (CEO) is the best tactician I know. Extremely perceptive, visionary and decisive. I have been with the company almost five years and experienced the roller-coaster ride. During the depths of a $250M valuation in 2011, Ahmad promised that we would come out strong and today we are a $7B largest renewable energy company in the world. Even though I started at SE right out of business school, Ahmad has been very accessible and guided me through the years whenever I have reached out to him. He is by far the biggest reason I am at SunEdison.
    If you are smart, talented and a go-getter - this is the place for you. The diversification of the company along platforms, geography and business models allows a variety of experience for people who can show results.
    Also if you are a woman professional, give serious consideration to this company. We are enabling gender diversification like nobody's business.

Cons

The entrepreneurial nature of the company also lends itself to issues. We have had a mentality to empower 'superstars' in the past, which resulted in pockets of the organization where people weren't being treated well. However, we've made great strides in in the last few years. Ahmad personally invested in and oversaw a cultural transformation initiative, empowered employees to rate their leaders and cleaned house from the toxic 'superstars' no matter how valuable they were.
    The career development plan is another area that needs improvement but we are on the way. I am happy to see undergraduate and graduate internship and leadership development programs that bring bright young people and force us to create development plans.

Create mandatory rotation programs for upcoming leaders in the company.
    Continue focus on cultural unification, too many business unit still need to implement the culture rather than just talk the language.

9. Working at SE has been a challenging and rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Operations in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Operations in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

SE is a truly global, forward thinking company that's breaking new trails and working very hard to provide affordable renewable energy to people around the world. It's definitely a place you can make a difference and drive change.

Cons

The rapid pace of change and aggressive growth plans and acquisitions often strain the organization and supporting infrastructure.

Continued focus and attention on building a great culture and place to work will pay off exponentially in the long run - don't ever lose site of the values and aspirations of the many people that make up the company!

10. Phenomenal. The company is growing quickly and has put in place excellent leadership development & diversity programs.

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Best in class benefits! Flexible schedule to aid in work-life balance, strong leadership development program, new mentoring program, growing company with new jobs opening up around the globe, strong focus on company culture

Cons

With the growth there is a challenge to keep pace with the workload so the hours can be long in some divisions.

Keep focusing on the benefits program roll-out and furthering the resources available to help employees own their own career.

11. Lots of awesome people!

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Very intellectual group, with lots of friendly people. Crowd is of all ages. Lots of free food laying around the office, and right next to Oracle for lunch! Meetings are taken pretty seriously, and punctuality is on point.

Cons

SunEdison is stll developing a stronger culture. The third floor could use some more "life" to make staff members feel that "homey" feeling, such as the one on the second floor.

I don't think the Management needs much advise. Seems like there is a huge effort to develop a better culture, among other things. The hiring process is way too long and needs to be reduced.