SunEdison

Updated November 19, 2014
3.2

SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Pros
  • Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations (in 3 reviews)

• One of the top names/brands in the solar industry (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover, probably was at least one person leaving per week and then the layoffs began (in 3 reviews)

• Not a good experience overall - stagnant in terms of career growth (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Greatest Company to Work For

Current Employee - Director of Business Operations in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Director of Business Operations in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

SunEdison is by far the most dynamic, employee development oriented company I worked for. Our company strive on its workforce diversity and ability to come togehter as a team and drive results.
    SunEdison is very committed to develop a strong corporate culture, in which "Together we Win" attitude is engrained in our DNA. People are empowered and accountable, the Management is always receptive to everyone's input.
    The company's Leadership Team is very competent, and implemented a winning strategy that positioned SunEdison as the indistry leader.

Cons

I cannot think of cons, since we have too much excitement. You have to be prepared to travel, work hard and embrace our culture if you want to join our team. Hardly a con.

I have been in at least six to seven companies, from pre-revenue startups to multi-billion multi-national corporation.
    I can say to our Management: Stay the course, continue to work hard in forging a strong winning and values based culture, keep leading the industry with a gam changing vision.

Leader in Innovation, This is the Company you Want to be in Today and Tomorrow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have a tendency to view personal and professional things from an analytical perspective. There are few things that are right after my heart and I use these things as my guiding philosophy to make personal and professional decisions. And if they are yours too , then I hope this review will help. The list below is not necessarily have an order of importance, but if it was, then Women Empowerment would stand Right as Number 1.
    1. Women Empowerment.
    2. Socially Responsible
    3. Actively promoting a Culture of Bonding and Respect among all.
    4. Actively promoting Diversity
    5. Leading in Innovation , especially in an field which is not just exciting but challenging and goes to make the World a Better place to live!
    6. Strong prospects to grow vertically and also diversify oneself.

At SunEdison, one can experience all these Values, as demonstrated by everyone from C-level executives to team members. That makes it a great place be..

When I joined a year ago, SunEdison was just a "solar Company". But this Ship is leading innovation in one of the most challenging areas unlike the “tech glamor” companies.

For those right out of college - a great place to learn and grow and make right choices in your career. Yes you have the tools like mentorship etc. Just ask and be open.

For those in mid or advanced career, there are equally good opportunities to scale heights in a company that is growing rapidly.

Personally, I am proud to experience the leadership of a Truly Visionary CEO Mr. Ahmad Chatila who has taken this ship from a Solar brand to a World's largest renewable developer.

From my own experience starting at SunEdison, my recommendation to everyone is in
    your First week , put on a Name label , just go around everyone's cube saying Hello" and introduce yourself.

Don't be surprised if one gentleman comes around from the corner , puts his hand across to you , for a handshake and says " Hello I am Ahmad.."

I am currently employed with SunEdison . And this is a purely unbiased opinion.

I am positive that you will experience each and every word I write here.

Cons

I have found no place or thing that has no "cons" . In my opinion, the Pros I have listed far far out weigh the "cons".
    I try not to live by "cons" and I encourage you the reader to focus on pros.
    My recommendation:
    When you see something broken - propose a plan to fix it!
    Get your buy in and make it Right!

Please stay on course set by Ahmad no matter how busy you are.
    Please continue demonstrating One Company One Culture Values .

They send a Clear and Loud Tacit Message even though it might not seem obvious from the surface.

The company with vision, culture and future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1) The leadership teams are with vision and ambition, investing in the talents to expand the potentials
    2) The company has cultivated the right values and culture, such as appreciation, accountability, teamwork
    3) The company has strong talent pools with deep industry experience and technical skills
    4) The company has clear directions and focus on growth
    5) The company has invested in the continuous improvements and transformation projects

Cons

1) The process will need to be in place and flexible
    2) The infrastructure will need to catch up with the fast growth
    3) The culture and the right values will need to be rooted

1) Continuous culture and process transformation
    2) More infrastructure build-up timely
    3) More efficient and flexible processes in place

Roller-coaster ride..the company is moving very fast and growing rapidly. Much better place to work than used to be

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SunEdison full-time

Pros

Great People, benefits getting better, culture improving, lots to learn, great experience, never dull

Cons

Lots of hours, systems lacking (but being upgraded), training,

Promote from within instead of hiring externally

An exciting, fast growth company with a lot of opportunity to make an impact.

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is a leader in renewable energy. The CEO and leadership team care about the organization. The culture which focusses on working together to win and creating an environment where we can all be at our best continues to improve. It is the foundation for our current success and our future plans. When many companies are cutting benefits, SunEdison is looking to improve benefits. SunEdison is always doing new and innovative things so it is a great place if you love to continue learning. It is exciting to be part of something that is truly transformational in the Energy industry. SunEdison also has an innovative program to connect employees to social projects to improve lives around the world.

Cons

Fast pace, fast growth means consistent change. Sometimes it is hard to know what to focus on. .

Very lively company with many opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company really encourages innovation within every aspect of the business.
    Lots of promotions internally, and managers are usually available to give feedback.
    Salary and Benefits are respectable.

Cons

The hours can be long at times.
    Sometimes there is so much going on, it's hard to prioritize.

Keep giving employees the feedback they need for success, and you will see things continue to improve.

Fast-paced, lots of opportunity, expect to work hard

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The leadership of the company really listens to the employees and empowers them to make a difference. When a lot of other companies are eliminating benefits, SunEdison is adding more and actively listening to employees to determine how to create an even better work environment.

Cons

Everyone is moving so fast that you don't connect with a lot of people. It would be nice if there were more opportunities to breathe.

A great growing place to work for young talented professionals

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very dynamic environment
    Strong leadership
    Fast growing in the industry and maturing as a company

Cons

Sometimes too many ideas and too much innovation gets overwhelming

Try to keep it simple sometimes.

Great potential!

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are very good. Opportunity for advancement due to turnover. Solar has potential, but not sure how much, and when.

Cons

High turnover.
    Difficult market for US based company.
    Cash shortage puts pressure on operations.
    Split into two companies may not have improved financial outlook.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was very chill and willing to work together when needed.

Cons

Very regular office environment, very gray.