SunEdison Reviews

2.6

SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Research Collaboration with SunEdison

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Great engineers, passionate about semiconductor industry, always strive for the cutting-edged technology

Cons

The working environment in St. Peters site could be better.

Some good people exist...

I worked at SunEdison full-time

Pros

Some co-workers were great to work with. Some were very sincere in trying to make their processes improved. A lot of good and smart people. Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations.

Cons

Very political; high turnover rate; some management were condescending, rude and disrespectful; decisions made not based on facts but on opinions, not transparent; management by fear.

walk the talk; listen to employees; make use of data for decisions.

A lot of organizational change, with plenty of opportunity for the ambitious

Current Employee - Manager  in  Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Constant change reveals opportunity for promotion for individuals.
    2. Major player in all solar segments, so great place to build diverse knowledge base
    3. Strong finance team in all major geographies

Cons

1. turnover at senior management level.
    2. Too many offices and employees working remotely.
    3. Can be bureaucratic at times
    4. poor software and IT processes

Focus on key initiatives. Be selective on focus areas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great and Smart employees but everyone is scared of the CEO!!

Current Employee - Power Marketing  in  Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Power Marketing in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart folks working at the company. They just have to be given the chance to share their ideas without fear of reprisal.

Cons

-Awful awful culture. Everyone is scared in their boots from the CEO. He talks about improving culture a lot but it's him that's the problem.
    -No one is allowed to ask questions or speak up
    -CEO is a megalomaniac
    -CEO is very erratic in his decisions

Bond together and don't allow this culture of fear and bullying dominate the company. Where is HR???

Serious inter-company communication issues

Former Employee - SDP  in  Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - SDP in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company has such bad communication issues that nobody knows where you are supposed to be or what you're supposed to be doing. You can come in at noon if you want to, leave at 1 pm every day. You can just not come to work for 3 days straight. It doesn't matter. So if that sounds appealing to you, that could be a pro.

A legitimate huge pro is the fact that it is in the Bay Area. This is probably the main selling point for most of the out-of-college recruits. There's also lots of parking so you won't have to worry about that.

Cons

1. Huge lack of communication and accountability

I worked here as a college intern. They were paying me very well for my career. Yet, I had zero responsibility. Zero tasks to do, zero deadlines, zero challenges. I'm pretty sure I could get to the office at noon and leave at 2 pm and no one would notice because no one needed me for anything. I could have left for an entire week without telling anyone and no one would have been able to tell: I would have missed no meetings, no e-mails, no phone calls. Though my case was pretty extreme, I had other friends in the company that also, had absolutely nothing to do and just sat around and got paid for it. Keep in mind that's after getting paid pretty handsomely for an intern ($25+/hr) and with the "manager" swearing you had stuff to do. Keep in mind also that I consistently and relentlessly bugged people for work. A total waste of money for SunEdison and a total waste of time for the interns. Speaks volumes about the company's lack of control over its own employees.

To potential university recruits from prestigious schools: if you have OPTIONS, which you probably do, do NOT choose SunEdison. Please. I have many friends at Exxon, Chevron, Shell, which are having a phenomenal time, have tasks to do, and are clearly been challenged. This internship was so bad, I am literally leaving it off my resume.

2. Doesn't pay well

If you're an engineer from a top school, SunEdison is going to come and offer you 55k out of school with a straight face when the average starting engineering salary for top schools is 75k. They will lowball you out of 20k out of school. Not worth it. Again, if you have options, look elsewhere.

Stop hiring people. The company is so obsessed with growing as fast as possible that they hire people nonstop, regardless whether new people are needed or not. This leaves a lot of new people with nothing to do: wasted dollars and manpower for SunEdison. Furthermore, hiring so many people all the time means that the new people never get a chance to "adapt" to the company. As a result, you can be in floor and have a dozen vastly different management styles. The company is simply not cohesive. If the company doesn't keep this in check, they are going to go the way of PeopleExpress.

Excellent summer internship opportunity!

Former Employee - Solar Development Program  in  Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Development Program in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Exposure to multiple groups within the company, great hands-on experience, excellent people to work with.

Cons

The summer is very short, and I would have liked to stay longer.

Long hours, good people, poor management

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the team I work with. The people care and are all over worked, but still willing to try to help you.

Cons

Management changes every few months. It is very hard to get promoted when you have 5 managers in 2 years. The company is confused about what it is doing and where it is going. Broken workflows, inconsistent direction (because every management change comes with a new agenda). Poor cash management, lack of resources, unrealistic expectations, etc...

Promote from within, follow best project management practices, make data driven decisions, not political ones. Provide stock to everyone, not just Directors and above.

Decent company, but not so hot on the strategy.

Former Employee - Business Development Analyst  in  Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Analyst in Belmont, CA

I worked at SunEdison as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Diversified businesses, seem to really be taking a step in the right direction with the culture training and creating more accountability,

Cons

I question the strategy of the company, including a recent acquisition. We will see if it can fulfill it's ambitions to be one of the most successful three solar companies.

Hire more experienced managers from the tech sector.

Solar is tough, management makes it harder than it needs to be.

Former Employee - Director of Finance  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SunEdison full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic opportunities for young employees who can handle the stress, long hours and crazy demands from management. Smart coworkers, but terrible culture (because of management).

Cons

Management doesn't know what they're doing...literally. They don't know solar. They come from semi manufacturing and they don't solar development. Although the stock has bounced back, it's because there is a ton of hype in the market (thank you Elon Musk). The culture is poisonous, but the worker bees are great (especially in the San Francisco office). Don't trust management, fight for your bonus because they will squeeze you if they can. Unfortunately most of the HQ support staff in St. Peters don't know what they're doing and are a huge nuisance...it's not their fault, they're smart...it's just that they don't get an opportunity to understand the complicated solar development/financing industry.

Fire the CEO.

Good potential in Solar Energy

Current Employee - Project Development Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Development Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at SunEdison full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Global company and great working relationship. Cost leader.

Cons

High competition and low investment

Worked for SunEdison? Contribute to the Community!