SunEdison

Updated February 25, 2015
3.7

SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Pros
  • Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place for people who are clear on what they want from their career (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover, probably was at least one person leaving per week and then the layoffs began (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy - far too many chiefs (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience working in SunEdison

Current Employee - Senior Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

access to great management technology. Really cares about employees. Culture is a MUST in this comany, and employee benefits are great. Work very long hours, with great peers. Company values are a must

Cons

Wrok-life balance must be considered. Opportunities are great, and need to be balanced with personal life.

Keep pushing on Culture and values. Be humble!

An exciting, fast-paced company with excellent potential for growth and development

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Ambitious company well suited to ambitious individuals. If you deliver on your goals and have a positive and self-starter attitude you will be rewarded. Fellow employees are dedicated, professional and excited to work towards common goals. Company has excellent potential to capture market share in a rapidly growing sector (renewable energy). With the recent acquisition of First Wind the company is now expanding beyond solar into wind energy. Combined with our work on energy storage technology the company is well positioned to adapt to the changing global energy landscape. Solid foundation for excellent corporate culture is being developed; but great local office culture already in place in part because of the type of people a renewable energy company attracts (generally optimistic people excited about making a difference).

Cons

Company has been growing fast and some HR and IT systems have not caught up. This may require patience on the part of employees. Lots of recent re-organizing has led to some confusion about roles and responsibilities in the short term but should lead to better performance in the longer term. High expectations of staff can lead to some long days but recently implemented "flex-time" should help with this.

Continue to improve communication between executive leadership (and regional leadership) with the broader company. Continue to improve HR and IT infrastructure to allow employees to spend more time focused on high value activities.

Highly Recommended Dynamic Company to Work For

Current Employee - Operations in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - Operations in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a company that is genuinely concerned in developing and retaining key talent, and this comes from the CEO down to each and every office. There are a wealth of growth opportunities for whomever wants to grab them. The working environment is one of the best I have worked in.

Cons

The high growth has lead to a high workload expectation but I genuinely believe that this commitment will be ultimately rewarded

Keep staying humble and make sure that the company culture is absorbed in every single office and employee

Great Career development

Current Employee - M&A in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - M&A in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing very fast in a very short period of time and this gives an incredible opportunity for a fast professional development and gives the opportunity to promote much faster than in other companies

Cons

It is a company with a lot of challenges that require a great dedication, very difficult to have a work- life balance

Keep thinking big and with the capacity to adapt to the changing environment
    Dimension the teams accordingly to the growth

Leader

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be with the hitters, be with SunEdison. If you want to live in a cube and do tasks, probably not for you.

Cons

Rapid, rapid pace. Changing frequently. Not a home for laggards or middle / lower performers. The best rise to the top.

Ideal environment for highly motivated, bold people looking to make an impact in both their workplace and the world

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During my 5 years in the company, I have never had a dull moment, I have never stopped learning. I have always felt I had a direct impact on the bottom line of the company despite joining the company at only 29. And I feel I am fairly remunerated for my work. SunEdison is a true meritocracy where one will be given as much responsibility as one is capable/willing to take. In this sense and to a certain extent, it has some of the pros of much smaller businesses.

Cons

SunEdison is an innovative company part of a sector (alternative energy) that's experiencing a revolution. And a lot of growth. As a consequence, pace is intense and structures/processes (the company itself) change regularly. If you dislike change and dynamic environments, this might not be the best place for you.

Keep on focusing/narrowing our strategy and rationalizing the management structure. As we get bigger, it might be the right time to start focusing (beyond growth) on consolidating the company from both an OpEx control and efficiency perspective.

Challenging highly dynamic environment for the curious yet humble leaders looking to make a difference in the world

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Belmont, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for a true meritocracy where you will be challenged on a daily basis but given the tools and exposure to get things done then SunEdison is the place for you. The renewable energy industry is a fast growth environment which has a duality of purpose in that it generates strong returns for shareholders whilst still having a positive impact on the world we live in. The leadership team is world class and truly lives the values they communicate and leads by example on a daily basis

Cons

SunEdison is not for someone looking for a stable environment with a ton of rigid processes and approval loops. SunEdison averages 90% growth every year and with that comes change, rapid decision making and development of processes and systems that need to be enhanced on an annual basis. I would not recommend this company for someone looking for a lot of structure in their day to day working lives, on the other hand I would recommend it to someone looking to implement structures as lean and project management are highly valued and sought after skills.

Keep communicating, we understand the need for change and we all joined SunEdison to have a positive impact in this world and to one day tell our children that we participated in this clean energy revolution. Keep reiterating the strategy and where we have come from as this has been a long journey started many years ago and our success is based on this vision built by you.

Leader in Innovation, This is the Company you Want to be in Today and Tomorrow

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

I have a tendency to view personal and professional things from an analytical perspective. There are few things that are right after my heart and I use these things as my guiding philosophy to make personal and professional decisions. And if they are yours too , then I hope this review will help. The list below is not necessarily have an order of importance, but if it was, then Women Empowerment would stand Right as Number 1.
    1. Women Empowerment.
    2. Socially Responsible
    3. Actively promoting a Culture of Bonding and Respect among all.
    4. Actively promoting Diversity
    5. Leading in Innovation to make the World a Better place to live!
    6. Strong prospects to grow vertically and also diversify oneself.

When I joined a year ago, SunEdison was just a "Solar Company". But this Ship is leading innovation in one of the most challenging areas unlike the “tech glamor” companies.

For those right out of college - a great place to learn and grow and make right choices in your career. Yes you have the tools like mentorship etc. Just ask and be open.
    For those in mid or advanced career, there are equally good opportunities to scale heights in a company that is growing rapidly.

It feels great experience the leadership of a Truly Visionary CEO Mr. Ahmad Chatila, who has taken this ship from a Solar brand to a World's largest Renewable Developer.

From my own experience starting at SunEdison, my recommendation to everyone is in
    your First week , put on a Name label , just go around everyone's cube saying Hello" and introduce yourself.

Don't be surprised if one gentleman comes around from the corner , puts his hand across to you , for a handshake and says " Hello I am Ahmad.."

I am currently employed with SunEdison . And this is a purely unbiased opinion.

I am positive that you will experience each and every word I write here

Cons

Some misfit people are filling in the shoes of "Leaders" and trusted by the CEO. The reason of stating individuals as "misfit" is primarily 3 fold.
    1. Poor communicator. And by that I don't mean speaking English in accent.
    2. Demonstrating a strategic lack of understanding of the landscape.
    3. Being empowered, rather then influencing change, they complain and offer excuses and division politics.

Such qualities only build toxicity in the organization with progress of time. The toxicity is already building and does not seem obvious under the guise of Company Culture.

Please stay on course set by Ahmad no matter how busy you are.
    Please continue demonstrating One Company One Culture Values .
    They send a Clear and Loud tacit Message even though it might not seem obvious from the surface.

4 stars go to senior management because there are a few individuals planted as "leaders" who still need to work on their EQ and fit the bill, though

Great company

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at SunEdison as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Leader in renewable energy, great work environment, challenging projects

Cons

Hiring process could be lengthy

Great place to work

Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience, ability to get lots of reponsibility, creative and smart colleagues.

Cons

Fast paced environment, not for everyone.