SunEdison

Updated March 3, 2015
3.7

SunEdison President & Chief Executive Officer Ahmad R. Chatila
Ahmad R. Chatila

Pros
  • Company promoted work-life balance, which some groups were able to implement within their organizations (in 3 reviews)

• This is a great place for people who are clear on what they want from their career (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very high turnover, probably was at least one person leaving per week and then the layoffs began (in 4 reviews)

• Top heavy - far too many chiefs (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

SunEdison, World's Renewable Energy Leader

Current Employee - Director of Supply Chain in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Director of Supply Chain in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I am proud to be working with this company for ~ 10 years now.
    1. Simple Business Model: Pipeline of 5+ GW drives Low interest capital form market (Yield Co) drives dividends to customers which drives growth of the company.
    2. 4 Businesses: Utility Scale ( Solar & Wind), Distributed Generation , Services (O&M), TERP (Yieldco)
    3. In layman's terms we eat 15 minutes a day, 4 times a day = 60 minutes a day. We need energy 24 X7 and SunEdison is in the industry of making energy 24X7 using raw material: Sunlight, Wind which is clean and Free after installation is done for the 25 year life span. This energy is in demand world over and several countries have announced explosive growth plans to harness this energy. Proud to be part of a growing industry.
    4. Great Leadership and Vision in seeing the big picture. The cultural transformation within the company is a phased shift from the past by way of simple concepts ( Focus, Blue Chips, Appreciation) and making people want to do more and be a stronger cohesive team delivering results.
    5. World Class Benefits: Annual Leave, Compassionate, bereavement, Personal Disability, Flexi care benefits, Educational allowance, Training, Medical benefits, 401K.More to come towards a Best in Class. Truly personal and dedicated HR team(which has grown in numbers) to support the growth @ SunEdison.

Cons

6. Like any growing company starved for cash to fill the gaps. But always pays by generating cash in innovative ways.
    7. SunEdison formed with several M&A's is engaged in transforming the current IT infrastructure that is lacking to make it world class.

8. Focus on the end goal to deliver share holder value and the team will cohesively support to meet this objective.

Working at SunEdison is exciting, challenging, and it is a true opportunity to grow in an international environment

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SunEdison is a good place to work for people that is looking for learning and evolving in an international atmosphere. It has a very strong culture of execution. Internal promotion is a common practice in this company for people that is committed to its objectives and values. Good technical quality of the leaders.

Cons

Sometimes the targeted growth combined with the execution culture of the company derives into heavy workload.

For them to focus on its people (in terms of benefits, work/life balance). The key for the success of SunEdison is the high quality of its team.

Great experience working in SunEdison

Current Employee - Senior Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

access to great management technology. Really cares about employees. Culture is a MUST in this comany, and employee benefits are great. Work very long hours, with great peers. Company values are a must

Cons

Wrok-life balance must be considered. Opportunities are great, and need to be balanced with personal life.

Keep pushing on Culture and values. Be humble!

An exciting, fast-paced company with excellent potential for growth and development

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Ambitious company well suited to ambitious individuals. If you deliver on your goals and have a positive and self-starter attitude you will be rewarded. Fellow employees are dedicated, professional and excited to work towards common goals. Company has excellent potential to capture market share in a rapidly growing sector (renewable energy). With the recent acquisition of First Wind the company is now expanding beyond solar into wind energy. Combined with our work on energy storage technology the company is well positioned to adapt to the changing global energy landscape. Solid foundation for excellent corporate culture is being developed; but great local office culture already in place in part because of the type of people a renewable energy company attracts (generally optimistic people excited about making a difference).

Cons

Company has been growing fast and some HR and IT systems have not caught up. This may require patience on the part of employees. Lots of recent re-organizing has led to some confusion about roles and responsibilities in the short term but should lead to better performance in the longer term. High expectations of staff can lead to some long days but recently implemented "flex-time" should help with this.

Continue to improve communication between executive leadership (and regional leadership) with the broader company. Continue to improve HR and IT infrastructure to allow employees to spend more time focused on high value activities.

Highly Recommended Dynamic Company to Work For

Current Employee - Operations in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - Operations in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a company that is genuinely concerned in developing and retaining key talent, and this comes from the CEO down to each and every office. There are a wealth of growth opportunities for whomever wants to grab them. The working environment is one of the best I have worked in.

Cons

The high growth has lead to a high workload expectation but I genuinely believe that this commitment will be ultimately rewarded

Keep staying humble and make sure that the company culture is absorbed in every single office and employee

High Risk; High Reward

Current Employee - Senior Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SunEdison

Pros

Company leadership is truly committed to reshaping the culture. Employees have great latitude to shape their career path. Abundant opportunity to make a difference in the company bottom line.

Cons

Too many initiatives can distract execution. Translation of high level company objectives to operational activity still needs work.

Stay consistent with the long term strategy. Set expectations and drive accountability. Avoid pushing interesting ideas that distract executing to key objectives.

Great Career development

Current Employee - M&A in Madrid (Spain)
    Current Employee - M&A in Madrid (Spain)

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is growing very fast in a very short period of time and this gives an incredible opportunity for a fast professional development and gives the opportunity to promote much faster than in other companies

Cons

It is a company with a lot of challenges that require a great dedication, very difficult to have a work- life balance

Keep thinking big and with the capacity to adapt to the changing environment
    Dimension the teams accordingly to the growth

Senior Director

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting emerging industry, fast paced and has the potential to change the way we view energy production and consumption.

Cons

Company trying to over come its roots in the shrinking semiconductor industry with its encumbent consolidation trends and boom bust cycles.

Continue on the cultural change initiative you embarked on 3 years ago, building the energy company of the future. Avoid getting dragged down the path of micro management that has plagued the semiconductor industry.

Leader

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be with the hitters, be with SunEdison. If you want to live in a cube and do tasks, probably not for you.

Cons

Rapid, rapid pace. Changing frequently. Not a home for laggards or middle / lower performers. The best rise to the top.

Ideal environment for highly motivated, bold people looking to make an impact in both their workplace and the world

I have been working at SunEdison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During my 5 years in the company, I have never had a dull moment, I have never stopped learning. I have always felt I had a direct impact on the bottom line of the company despite joining the company at only 29. And I feel I am fairly remunerated for my work. SunEdison is a true meritocracy where one will be given as much responsibility as one is capable/willing to take. In this sense and to a certain extent, it has some of the pros of much smaller businesses.

Cons

SunEdison is an innovative company part of a sector (alternative energy) that's experiencing a revolution. And a lot of growth. As a consequence, pace is intense and structures/processes (the company itself) change regularly. If you dislike change and dynamic environments, this might not be the best place for you.

Keep on focusing/narrowing our strategy and rationalizing the management structure. As we get bigger, it might be the right time to start focusing (beyond growth) on consolidating the company from both an OpEx control and efficiency perspective.