SunGard

SunGard Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros:
  • "flexible work times, easy work environment, good salary, good work life balance"
    in 33 reviews
  • "Very flexible work environment with relatively low workload stress"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "unless you're upper management or sales you won't be raking in big bonuses and perks but they are there"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Corporate banking professional services

Manager - Professional Services (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at SunGard

ProsManaging a team of dedicated professionals who are focussed in delivery. Direct interactions with external clients. Working on Listed derivatives space.

ConsLack of control within India. Control is dictated by segment side persons and they can make arbitrary decisions at times with no reasons for their actions.

Addicted to Layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at SunGard

ProsGreat for management at a certain level. Anything is forgiven. Job secure even when they don't know what they are doing.

ConsNew startup from 2006 out of managements area of knowledge. Bungled badly so dissolved a whole department of people. 120 jobs sent to India because of management at Sungard.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't start a new business area unless you get the right management to run it.

Unethical and Incompetent Management at SIMS

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Lombard, IL

I worked at SunGard

ProsA handful of quality employees remain. They were somehow sucked in and are disillusioned enough to stay in an effort to somehow make it better. But they will be hitting a wall as long as completely incompetent and unethical mgmt walk the halls.

ConsManagement across the board are unbelievably incompetent. They have zero software industry knowledge and it shows in every breath they take. They bank on the fact that it would cost millions for a client to migrate to a competing product, so all development is half ass at best. Thousands of serious software bugs that are closed as soon as they are logged citing 'no interest', 'no resources'. As though they were never recreated, and never existed. No upfront analysis by experienced BAs No detailed code models. Zip. Run from this company - it will ruin you forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease resign and move on to something, anything you may be good at in another industry. Clients would leave in droves if they knew how unethical you are. That the corrupt software is a direct reflection of your inability to understand the software industry - and how to run a legitamate financial services company with integrity.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

SunGard sucks big time

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Pune (India)

I have been working at SunGard

ProsWork culture, your colleagues. , not much I can think off.

ConsReally need to negotiate on Salary, Have to do technical things what your manager say. Incase if he is right, you are saved. if not then blame is on you. If you do your own stuff, you are screwd big time. Have to attend meetings during your weekly offs. No personal nd professional life balance. Its a curse to be a senior member of the team. No job oppertunities. If try for one, they will always look for escalations you did during your entire SunGard career. Lot of Bogus people coming in and spoiling team effort. A very good company for anyone looking for a long stay, no matter any amount of escalations you do, and you do not have any self respect, managers have no guts to kick you out. (As his performance might go for a toss.) Just say sorry, this will never happen again and you are saved, But you argue and managers will make you life hell. there . there is no scope for work you do. Being an L3 you end up unlocking account for others. My worst expirience in my whole career. process is more important that technical things. If you miss SLA due to process, you are gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about employees, show some transperancy in recruitment process and salary structure

Awful Company to Be Acquired By (Alternative Investments)

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at SunGard

ProsIdiotic senior management makes you feel superior in every way.

ConsSungard Alternative Investments is run like a closed shop for the friends of the president of the unit (who are mysteriously all of the same religion). The managers seem to do very nicely out of SG but add little to no value the businesses they acquire - anyone else who is doing well out of it is open for the attack to add to the friend retirement fund. My company was a fantastic one to work for before Sg took it over. The president and COO screwed up the valuation by a factor of about 2 and since then they just keep chopping people to make the quarterly figures look better. How the president and COO are holding on to their jobs I do not know, but that is the kind of firm it is - everyone is to blame except the management. If there's a problem blame someone else and fire them. Sungard Alternative Investments is and awful unit of an awful company - if they acquire your company start looking for a new job because if they don't fire you, you are the unlucky one!

Advice to Senior Managementstart respecting the people who made the companies you buy worth buying. Actually talk to the people in those companies and bring them on side, rather than treating them like idiots.

Unfair to employees that work hard for the company

Analyst (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at SunGard

ProsFlexible hours and some of the people are great to work with

ConsHR was bad. She was unapproachable and not receptive to employees concerns and issues. Raises were unfair. Employees that knew how to get around the work were rewarded while the employees that did their work on time in addition to helping other were never given any type of recognition. The hours were flexible, but were always abused by a few and those few were never approached. Management knew about this, but choose to ignore it. When you you bring your concerns to management, they would tell you to just worry about yourself. Thus rewarding the employees that don't do work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to all your employees and not just the ones that do the work all the time. Pay attention to the ones that come in late and leave early. Pay attention to the ones that water plants all day and look out the window. Make sure they are pulling thier weight in the scope of the company and stop rewarding them for things that do not accomplish. There is a problem when management keeps and employee whose work comes back and someone else has to restest the work again.

Worse company to work for

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Burlington, MA

I worked at SunGard

ProsThere isn't any really best reason to work for Sungard. It's a fast pase enviroment, that leaves no time to think. You need to be on the ball, and ready to jump to any problem at a moments notice. You need to know your duties extremely well, and complete your tasks with minimum resources, tools or help. Must be independent and self motivating. I must say, it's a really fast pace environment, with no planning for the future. So you must be ready for anything and everything. You must have confidence in your skills and your ability, because you will need to defend you actions.

ConsThey over work you, and burn you out, they don't respect it's employees or trust them. They're solution to solving a problem, is to to find which employees to blame, rather than to resolve the issue. There is no planning for the future, only the present. So issues and problems re-occurs all the time, because they do not want to solve problem, they rather find someone to blame. It's easier and cheaper to find an escape goat than root cause the problem solve the issue. They also like to burn it's employees out since they know there are others in the market who can easily replace them.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has no trust in it's employees and do not listen to their suggestions. They do not care for them, since they provide no training and time off. They do not want to help them, succeed in their job, they just want the work to get completed with no help from management. They encourage using the most cheapest resources to solve problem. They provided to no tools to help in the day to day tasks. It would be nice if they listen and even try to use the suggestions, provided by it's employees. It would also be nice to give time and say thanks for a good job.

The Few, the Proud...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at SunGard

ProsThe company that was purchased by SunGard had generous vacation allowances. SunGard allowed us to keep them. There are a number of good people in the ranks of the division, many of whom are good people to work with. The projects are challenging, and with a small staff, there is room to play a number of roles.

ConsAs some have pointed out, there are a number of different divisions in the company. Each is its own entity. Our division was purchased by SunGard, and then SunGard was its self purchased. There was a strategy of reducing head count via attrition and layoffs, in an attempt to make the division more profitable. Besides being demoralizing, it also makes it difficult to advance your career in a company that is shipping whole departments overseas. Our location shrank about 70% before I left.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is only so many people who are redundant. After a while it becomes necessary to limit the scope of the business if you are going to keep reducing headcount. Many of your employees are as intelligent as you are, if not more so. Don't make the mistake of keeping your employees out of the loop.

Probably the worst place I have ever worked

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Newark, NJ

I worked at SunGard

ProsHad the ability to travel internationally to other offices, so I gota few fully paid trips out of them. Some of the people are down to Earth, but the Management fosters a back-stabbing political climate. Very easy hours: 9-5 at the worst.

ConsWorst Management I have ever seen. A complete lack of concern for the customer. Poor and antiquated technology. Zero opportunity for advancement. Extremely poor compensation and benefits. There was no communication from management about anything. You had to rely on the rumor mill to learn anything. Lousy office environment since they were too cheap to invest in anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese people are so far beyond help.

Less pay great people.

Call Center (Current Employee)
Lombard, IL

I have been working at SunGard

ProsThe people, non-management co-workers. The co-workers are very professional and a joy to work with. Each department has great employees that work well together but with tools that are inadaquate to perform their job functions.

ConsUpper management (SVP level) is only concern with the bottom line and that is to get the money in and keep it in. No raise is higher than 4% each year and is seldom given to the staff that deserves it. In most cases the management rather have you get the product out without understanding the full concept of each product. There is a revolving door at Sungard.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your managers, don't over work your workers. Let go of products that are not producing properly and improve on those that have made money for SunGard.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunGard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SunGard CEO Russell P. (Russ) Fradin. All 228 reviews posted anonymously by SunGard employees.