SunGard

SunGard Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros:
  • "If you are put in right project they work life balance would be excellent"
    in 37 reviews
  • "flexible work times, easy work environment, good salary, good work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Though upper management is overly dependent on micro management"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

1 year experience in SG as TL

Team Lead (Current Employee)
    Tunis, TX

Prosgood salary
    good working environment
    good equipment

Consprocedures not clear
    managers not oriented to service improvement
    security restrictions affecting production

Advice to Senior Managementprovide clear answers
    provide clear procedures

Sr. Netbackup Engineer

Senior NET Backup Engineer (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsCompany is good, salary is competitive and they fight for their employees when they try to leave.

Consbut is slow on making decision at production level, no sense of criticality.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to be more energic with your engineers, way to soft.

Think twice before joining this company

ProsThe benefit package is competitive and they have a very good 401K. Co workers are friendly and there is always plenty of work to be done.

ConsLack of flexibility
    No communication
    Constant reorganization
    The environment feels more like that of a kindergarten than an office, employees treated like children, scolded for various actions, like that of a child
    Workload distribution is uneven, many have nothing to do while a few select employees have more to do than they can complete in an eight hour day
    Overtime is encouraged and admired, hours worked are broadcasted by many as an accomplishment, it almost feels like a competition on who can work the most

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat those that work hard with respect and remove those that do not
    Communicate better with employees
    Realize that some who log in long hours are milking the system and stretching out their responsibilities. This is partially in response to low to no raise etc.
    Provide a career path
    Stop trying to pacify employees with hollow remarks on how management is taking steps to improve morale, we are smarter than that and it sounds ridiculous. We know change will never happen, its the Sungard way.
    Odd behaviors are overlooked and almost encouraged.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Underpaid for responsibilities as a Manager

Practice Area Manager (Former Employee)

Prossmart and intelligent people, excellent experience obtainied in field

ConsLack of strategic direction, not concerned about clients, no backing from senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to do their jobs, pay market salaries for management, stop laying off the best talent

Lack of any senior leadership and clear direction

ProsNice benefits. If you can work with little direction and feedback it is an ok job. Great point solutions.

ConsLack of clear direction, defined roles and common goals. Lack of communication between the C-level and the workers. The company tends to position the lower paid workers to take ownership to figure it out, with out being full educated on the company business plan. people are not paid based by value or workloads. Unrealistic workloads.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy do we need so much management if management can not give clear direction or make business changes?

Poor Management leads to Unhappy Employees

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

Pros- The people I worked with on a daily basis were great.
    - Process and Procedures were well documented and clear. Human Resources "stuff" was always easy to take care of.
    - Benefits and PTO are very good.

Cons- Management (middle and senior level) cannot see past themselves. I am not sure if this "closed minded" philosophy is dictated from the Executive Team, but it exist across multiple segments.
    -Failure to reward employees with a pay raise. In my 5 years, never received more then a cost of living raise

Advice to Senior ManagementReconsider the philosophy for performance reviews. The current reviews were a joke and provide zero road map for development.

Very corporate and slow-paced

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
    Lombard, IL

ProsYou have a ton of free time, and it seems like the management doesn't really care what you do

ConsYou don't do any substantive work

Consistent Opportunity to Achieve results

Wayne, NJ

ProsThrough the downturn in the economy had my best years in earnings. Ability to work in a flexible wfh and office environment. Opportunity to work with people with significantly different experiences to help me grow my skills. Ability to contribute across business lines like a small company while still working for a big company

Constakes a long time to remove bad managers, Finance/accounting has too much say/internal systems are challenging to work with and need to be improved to facilitate sales

Advice to Senior ManagementValue customer and contact relationships more then geographic lines, show your top performers in revenue you value them as much as the performers who out perform quota by the percentage over quota, improve marketing efforts to return our brand value

Lousy Management, Capped/Low Commissions, So-So Products

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Wayne, PA

ProsSome large clients. Not many positives at SunGard.

ConsTerrible sales compensation plan, which includes multiple low caps on commissions, low commissions, and some very low commissions.

Management is all politics, no vision or leadership.

SunGard is really a cobbled together group of companies, that is not well integrated.

A strong "yes man" culture stiffles creativity and productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be replaced, company restructured.

Not what it once was

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
    Birmingham, AL

ProsVery flexible work environment with relatively low workload stress. A lot of freedom in day-to-day work. Still staffed by good people at the ground level.

ConsWork environment has slipped since the last re-org (from groups by product to groups by function). Some groups are mired in contention over which group is really in charge. Products that aren't growing aren't providing growth opportunities for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRefocus on the fundamentals - find problems customers will pay us to solve and solve them.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunGard reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SunGard CEO Russell P. (Russ) Fradin. All 247 reviews posted anonymously by SunGard employees.