SunGard Higher Education

Be The First To
Add Photos

SunGard Higher Education CEO Ron Lang

Ron Lang

Pros
  • Ability to work from home is a huge plus(in 5 reviews)

• No hassle from management about work-life balance from where I sat(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management level has changed numerous times throughout the last couple of years(in 4 reviews)

• Just a very bland company overall and the product lines reflect that(in 3 reviews)

Satisfied group to work for until reorganization happened

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Paramus, NJ

ProsThe best part about working in SHE was the quality of peers you are partnered with. As a SysAdmin/DEV/Jack-of-all-trades, you get to work with talented individuals that are eager to learn the new technology.

ConsManagement takes things for granted such as, oh you know, the client and employee's needs. When your staff asks for assistance, spend a little to help them. Bottom line shouldn't sacrifice the needs of your employees and client.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen instead of staring at the bottom line... it's what causes employees (and clients) to jump ship.

Good company, but management is clueless

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPeople work really hard. Talented employees who watch each other's backs.

ConsLots of long hours and sweat. No bonuses. minimal salary increases.

Good Company

ProsGood Company to work for starting a career.

ConsThere are not really any cons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work life flexibility with WFH options, flexible hours. Management team cared about employees and customers. Went so far to say we have two bottom lines - our and our customers. There was real passion for higher education and furthering the mission.

ConsBeing part of the behemoth, SunGard had is share of disadvantages like 'requirements' for various departments that were not as relevant for all operating units.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on customer and their success. They do, after all, pay the bills.

A complete train wreck

Manager (Former Employee) Maitland, FL

ProsThe company has a decent product and a solid sales force. It holds a solid place as a leader in the higher education ERP space.

ConsManagement exhibits no true leadership and sales is permitted to sell vaporware. The middle managers will consistently make commitments their teams are incapable of fulfilling.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-establish credibility with customers and reign in the sales people in order to re-establish the brand. Empower the employees to make positive changes for the company.

Great People

ProsThe employees were awesome. Great culture.

ConsLeadership didn't listen to the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to people who have the client's best interest.

Great Company

Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFlexible Schedule, Salary, Great Teamwork

ConsSalary, Benefits, Upper Management, Product Development not looking forward

great people

Network Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the few industries where you are able to feel good about what you do. Individuals are great, knowledgeable, and customer focused.

ConsOffice politics and old-boy/girl networks make it so hard/good work is not relevant to being promoted or assigned a good project. Some managers/leaders are indecisive, causing more problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the culture you have built and are building. Make a decision and stick with it and your team.

Advancement Senior Technical Consultant in Waltham

Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

Prosnice telecommuting option. free snacks once a month. friendly co-workers.

ConsSales team that consistently under sell services and then expects consultant to complete work as unbillable. unrealistic time lines. not fore-though into travel planning ( I once went from Boston to Sacramento to Virginia to Portland Ore, back to Virginia and back to Boston in a 10 day period because the services manager could be bothered to work out the engagement schedule). Benefits and salary are below average. The bonus structure is set up to be impossible to reach the top tiers without killing yourself. For example, if you take time away from billable work to attend training, you'll miss your utilization number and therefore, your bonus is impacted.
    Communication from senior management doesn't exist.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to balance your commitment to shareholders with the need to treat your employees better than 3rd work country factory workers.

Bottom line

Instructional Designer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey are a high tech company and there are a lot of good folks working for them

ConsNot an employee friendly company (if you aren't at the top)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the people that you send into the field and REALLY get to know your clients. Stop writing contracts that don't really meet the needs of your clients.
    And the movie that employees have to watch about ethics... too bad it isn't really practiced toward the employees

Worked for SunGard Higher Education? Contribute to the Community!