SunGard

Updated Feb 7, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company to work for.

Technology Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at SunGard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work/life balance. Opportunity for promotion/recognition if you put in the work. Vacation days above average for the US. Could get more sick days.

ConsHowever, in terms of actual positions to go up the chain, it is limited unless you count on employee turnover. It is more and more acting like a "big company". Bureaucracy is growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics. Streamline the bureaucracy.

Treated a 24/ 7 job like a 9 to 5. No incentives. Poor managment.

Mid Range Specialist II (Current Employee)
Carlstadt, NJ

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome of the folks that work at Sungard are enjoyable to work with. The hours when employed were nice and convenient.

ConsThe Management is absolutely heartless. When Sungard acquired Comdisco, they of course promised the world. They decided to fire people the week before christmas. Made a comment to my manager which he didn't like. F' him. I hate this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Once great, now slowly sinking.

Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

Proswages can be competitive and there's a good chance you'll run into some excellent people all throughout the organization that are great at their job and excellent to work with. They do attract some good talent.

ConsAnnual reorgs for no apparent reason. unless you're upper management or sales you won't be raking in big bonuses and perks but they are there. Massive drive to move everything possible to Florida, but again unless you're high enough up relocation help isn't available. Layoffs/downsizing/rightsizing seem to be happening more and more frequently with a big push to get and stay very lean. Work Life balance has become non-existant for many, depending on your role/department. Benefits get worse and worse each year.

Advice to Senior Managementthe company is TOO lean, with many co-workers working 6 days a week just to keep up, with no compensation for doing so. Forcing older workers out in favor of hiring someone with no experience for less in FL is seriously draining the knowledge base of Sungard's products and it is being reflected in the increasingly unhappy customer base.

Company Is Falling Apart

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsKnowledgeable people, global presence, name recognition

ConsOn-going cost and benefits reduction program (going on for 5 years), lack of investment into product development, no collaboration between product groups, impossible to fulfill quotas, new commission plan has lower payouts, high turn-over, just announced up-coming head count reduction because they have not met thier financial projections, management is only focused on thier budget and spreadsheets,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your products and people. You neglect both

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood salary, good work life balance

ConsNo carreer opportunities, no training, Owned by private investors since 2005 which makes a lot of uncertainty about future.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication about future of the company.

Consistent Opportunity to Achieve results

Wayne, NJ

I have been working at SunGard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThrough the downturn in the economy had my best years in earnings. Ability to work in a flexible wfh and office environment. Opportunity to work with people with significantly different experiences to help me grow my skills. Ability to contribute across business lines like a small company while still working for a big company

Constakes a long time to remove bad managers, Finance/accounting has too much say/internal systems are challenging to work with and need to be improved to facilitate sales

Advice to Senior ManagementValue customer and contact relationships more then geographic lines, show your top performers in revenue you value them as much as the performers who out perform quota by the percentage over quota, improve marketing efforts to return our brand value

some chance to use new technologies; but limited chance to promotion unless being talkative

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SunGard

Prosgain some experience with new and currently populate technology and financial industries.

Consbenefit cutting down;
often froze pay hike;
too much bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementput more attention on what employees already achieved and less on being talkative

Excellent

I have been working at SunGard

ProsGreat company for career development with great management to help guide you

ConsConflicting personalites can make it a frustrating environment and there are HR issues.

Overall SunGard has been a good company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SunGard

Prosone of the best things that I like working for SunGard is their flexibility in work schedules and their understanding of the balance of work and family. They do that better then any other company I have worked for.

ConsIn certain areas growth is not the easiest, the structure is more flat which is bad and good but makes climbing the corporate ladder difficult.

Application Support at SunGard

Applications Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at SunGard

ProsLarge well-established company with a good reputation, yet has a small-company feel since the company consists of a large number of small business units. Good work atmosphere, diverse workforce, many talented co-workers, interesting products and projects. Strong vision at the executive management level.

ConsIt can be difficult to gain visibility with management above your immediate supervisor since the organization tends to be very hierarchical. Not easy to learn about opportunities in other business units since each unit is self-contained.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way of sharing information and job opportunities across business units; provide a way of rotating people into other assignments across business units to increase retention and cross-fertilization.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunGard reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SunGard CEO Russell P. (Russ) Fradin. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by SunGard employees.