SunGard

SunGard Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 28, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros
  • If you are put in right project they work life balance would be excellent (in 39 reviews)

• flexible work times, easy work environment, good salary, good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Though upper management is overly dependent on micro management (in 12 reviews)

• Very fragmented structure with multiple business units , complicated communications (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights
18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company with limited career growth

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice perks: Can work from home from time to time, great gifts on your 5-10-15 years at work.

Smart developers

Constantly improving the release cycle and following the best practices.

ConsRe-organization can happen frequently so this can be stressful.

Depending on the above, you can have a manager that doesn't share the same vision or ideas at all with the previous one so you will need to adapt.

Sales People Treated like "Pawns" towards The Management's Quota and Club Reservations

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey serve Starbucks coffee...and have a nice surplus of legal pads and pens.

ConsSales Compensation and Quotas are not in line with the Industry trends and the "solution selling" messaging the company subscribes to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to actually listen to the Sales People on what is going on and work accordingly to streamline instead of making "gut" like decisions or picking favorites when driving opportunities.

No career growth , only escape is to leave !

Applications Specialist/Consultant (Former Employee) Melville, NY

Pros- The culture is pretty lax, no micro-management
    - Work/ Life Balance, decent vacation
    -Easy for commute for folks living on Island
    -Most people are friendly except few in IT and admin

Cons-This place is dead end place where your professional career dies. You will be doing the same job even after 10 years of service
    - The business unit management is pretty shortsighted and does NOT invest in their employees
    - They promote people who belong to the long island "group"
    - Also, the top management leading this business changes every six months

Advice to Senior Management- Provide career path
    -Have clear strategy for organization and employee growth
    -Pay employee at par with the industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treated a 24/ 7 job like a 9 to 5. No incentives. Poor managment.

Mid Range Specialist II (Current Employee) Carlstadt, NJ

ProsSome of the folks that work at Sungard are enjoyable to work with. The hours when employed were nice and convenient.

ConsThe Management is absolutely heartless. When Sungard acquired Comdisco, they of course promised the world. They decided to fire people the week before christmas. Made a comment to my manager which he didn't like. F' him. I hate this place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Once great, now slowly sinking.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

Proswages can be competitive and there's a good chance you'll run into some excellent people all throughout the organization that are great at their job and excellent to work with. They do attract some good talent.

ConsAnnual reorgs for no apparent reason. unless you're upper management or sales you won't be raking in big bonuses and perks but they are there. Massive drive to move everything possible to Florida, but again unless you're high enough up relocation help isn't available. Layoffs/downsizing/rightsizing seem to be happening more and more frequently with a big push to get and stay very lean. Work Life balance has become non-existant for many, depending on your role/department. Benefits get worse and worse each year.

Advice to Senior Managementthe company is TOO lean, with many co-workers working 6 days a week just to keep up, with no compensation for doing so. Forcing older workers out in favor of hiring someone with no experience for less in FL is seriously draining the knowledge base of Sungard's products and it is being reflected in the increasingly unhappy customer base.

Company Is Falling Apart

Sales Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsKnowledgeable people, global presence, name recognition

ConsOn-going cost and benefits reduction program (going on for 5 years), lack of investment into product development, no collaboration between product groups, impossible to fulfill quotas, new commission plan has lower payouts, high turn-over, just announced up-coming head count reduction because they have not met thier financial projections, management is only focused on thier budget and spreadsheets,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your products and people. You neglect both

Good company to work for.

Technology Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance. Opportunity for promotion/recognition if you put in the work. Vacation days above average for the US. Could get more sick days.

ConsHowever, in terms of actual positions to go up the chain, it is limited unless you count on employee turnover. It is more and more acting like a "big company". Bureaucracy is growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics. Streamline the bureaucracy.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood salary, good work life balance

ConsNo carreer opportunities, no training, Owned by private investors since 2005 which makes a lot of uncertainty about future.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication about future of the company.

Consistent Opportunity to Achieve results

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wayne, NJ

ProsThrough the downturn in the economy had my best years in earnings. Ability to work in a flexible wfh and office environment. Opportunity to work with people with significantly different experiences to help me grow my skills. Ability to contribute across business lines like a small company while still working for a big company

Constakes a long time to remove bad managers, Finance/accounting has too much say/internal systems are challenging to work with and need to be improved to facilitate sales

Advice to Senior ManagementValue customer and contact relationships more then geographic lines, show your top performers in revenue you value them as much as the performers who out perform quota by the percentage over quota, improve marketing efforts to return our brand value

some chance to use new technologies; but limited chance to promotion unless being talkative

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgain some experience with new and currently populate technology and financial industries.

Consbenefit cutting down;
    often froze pay hike;
    too much bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementput more attention on what employees already achieved and less on being talkative

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!