SunGard

Updated Jun 13, 2014

SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company to work for.

Technology Consultant (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance. Opportunity for promotion/recognition if you put in the work. Vacation days above average for the US. Could get more sick days.

ConsHowever, in terms of actual positions to go up the chain, it is limited unless you count on employee turnover. It is more and more acting like a "big company". Bureaucracy is growing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to basics. Streamline the bureaucracy.

Sales People Treated like "Pawns" towards The Management's Quota and Club Reservations

Senior Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThey serve Starbucks coffee...and have a nice surplus of legal pads and pens.

ConsSales Compensation and Quotas are not in line with the Industry trends and the "solution selling" messaging the company subscribes to.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to actually listen to the Sales People on what is going on and work accordingly to streamline instead of making "gut" like decisions or picking favorites when driving opportunities.

Company Is Falling Apart

Sales Executive (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsKnowledgeable people, global presence, name recognition

ConsOn-going cost and benefits reduction program (going on for 5 years), lack of investment into product development, no collaboration between product groups, impossible to fulfill quotas, new commission plan has lower payouts, high turn-over, just announced up-coming head count reduction because they have not met thier financial projections, management is only focused on thier budget and spreadsheets,

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your products and people. You neglect both

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood salary, good work life balance

ConsNo carreer opportunities, no training, Owned by private investors since 2005 which makes a lot of uncertainty about future.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication about future of the company.

Excellent

New York, NY

ProsGreat company for career development with great management to help guide you

ConsConflicting personalites can make it a frustrating environment and there are HR issues.

some chance to use new technologies; but limited chance to promotion unless being talkative

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosgain some experience with new and currently populate technology and financial industries.

Consbenefit cutting down;
    often froze pay hike;
    too much bureaucracy

Advice to Senior Managementput more attention on what employees already achieved and less on being talkative

Overall SunGard has been a good company to work for

Consultant (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosone of the best things that I like working for SunGard is their flexibility in work schedules and their understanding of the balance of work and family. They do that better then any other company I have worked for.

ConsIn certain areas growth is not the easiest, the structure is more flat which is bad and good but makes climbing the corporate ladder difficult.

Application Support at SunGard

Applications Support (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsLarge well-established company with a good reputation, yet has a small-company feel since the company consists of a large number of small business units. Good work atmosphere, diverse workforce, many talented co-workers, interesting products and projects. Strong vision at the executive management level.

ConsIt can be difficult to gain visibility with management above your immediate supervisor since the organization tends to be very hierarchical. Not easy to learn about opportunities in other business units since each unit is self-contained.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way of sharing information and job opportunities across business units; provide a way of rotating people into other assignments across business units to increase retention and cross-fertilization.

Fragmented consulting practice

Analyst (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe unit I worked in had lots of bright people who cared a lot about their work- but started to slide downhill soon after I joined. People were more than willing to lend a hand and teach, and quite fun to be around.

ConsAttrition was significant during the time I was there. People (including myself) left for greener pastures, on the whole, so I've got to think that the Sungard experience was solid as a stepping stone.

The company, during my time there and as far as I could see, was an amalgam of separate, small business units who didn't communicate much even though they worked on similar things.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaying below-market wage contributed to attrition, as did a promotion/bonus system that was not transparent. Since I've left, I think progress has been made in the business unit I was with towards working with other parts of the firm.

Too much consolidation

Director (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsDecent benefits. However, the work environment varies drastically depending on which division you are in. If you are lucky, you can work with hard working, highly skilled people. SunGard is large and hence there are opportunities to advance if you are willing to look beyond your own unit.

ConsToo quick to layoff in order to make their numbers. Consolidation and layoffs are eliminating many solid employees, leaving those left overworked and overstretched. Consolidation is happening faster than remaining employees can obtain the skills and industry/product knowledge to cover new tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management at the division level needs to better understand the business model of the products under them. While standard practices can lead to some efficiencies, remember that an acquired company was doing something right prior to acquisition.

Worked for SunGard? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunGard reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SunGard CEO Russell P. (Russ) Fradin. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by SunGard employees.