SunGard Public Sector Reviews

Mike Borman

1. Happy Camper

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High Point, NC

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, busy and growing.

Cons

Sometimes too busy and hard to keep up with tasks.

Support

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Good people to work with

Cons

-highly stressful working environment with little reward -No work/life balance -No reward for hard work

Advice to Management

Treat your hard working people better or they will continue to look for employment elsewhere

3. Software Developer II

Former Employee - Software Developer II in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I felt that this was a great place to learn how to properly write software for enterprise solutions. The software was very well organized and I learned a lot of proper coding standards and best practices. It also serves well for a steady income, good benefits to cover unexpected expenses such as healthcare costs, and the flexibility in work schedule was very prominent for workers having children/family needs.

Cons

This company could improve on their leadership to properly facilitate training. On the job training should not necessarily always be a fixed lesson plan for each new hire since everyone has a different background including learning styles, level of competence, and some developers pick up on concepts quicker than others. Performance reviews should be measured against prior work performance and expectations, not other co-workers. No matter how great you are, there may always be someone better, and besides such evaluations can promote negative competition in the workplace working against the team building culture that true team players work towards achieving.

Advice to Management

Most of the personnel or persons hired to do their function are fully capable. Try to work with the talent and retire finger-pointing at recognized failures within your infrastructure, take the lead to properly repair/improve your leadership with their respective departments.

5. Software Developer II

I worked at SunGard Public Sector

Pros

Awesome company in every aspect! Company is very family centric and strive to make sure their employees have a healthy balance of family to work time.

Cons

I can't think of any cons with this company honestly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

6. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees and managers who are hard working yet have have a great sense of humor. The Company has fun Events through out the year, and sometimes monthly, that really bring people together in a fun atmosphere. Plus free Friday breakfast is a great bonus.

Cons

Communication can be improved. Things that effect others is not always communicated until the last minute, and then you are expected to have days worth of work done in hours.

Advice to Management

Please communicate with everyone who is involved in a project, process, or event. We can succeed together if everyone is consistently communicating in a successful and informative manner.

7. Product Specialist Review

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid Back work environment Not micromanaged Gets involved in the community Great perks Easy hiring process Great upper management

Cons

Not enough staff to meet demand Laid off too many people to meet what clients want Needs more programmers and quality testing

8. Many benefits, great company, but the internship program is subpar

Current Employee - QA Analyst (Associate) in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - QA Analyst (Associate) in Lake Mary, FL

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding benefits, even for an intern. I got paternity leave when my son was born. Top employer to work for, for working class families as nominated by the Orlando Sentinel Management does care about you and take an interest Lots of learning opportunities Many events and they give back a lot to the community

Cons

Very little if any room for growth the internship program is very weak and could use more attractive methods to retain quality employees

Advice to Management

Keep trying to bridge all the lack of communication between offices. Specifically the NC branch working on OSSI and the FL office working on NaviLine and ONESolution within the public safety department.

9. Great place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in High Point, NC

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, environment, work life balance, flexibility, people, dedication to customers and quality products. The people are extremely helpful and supportive of one another. Enormous intellectual talent exists in the company.

Cons

Typical corporate stuff, often attempt to make promotions without salary adjustments (more responsibility, no more money) in some cases trivial expenses are overly scrutinized. Employees are overburdened with work and increase staffing doesn't seem to happen as quickly as some would think, even in light of positive, double digit growth. Good for bottom line, but not sure how long employees can "hang on."

Dec 2, 2014 – Senior Human Resources Generalist

We are happy to hear you value us as a GREAT PLACE TO WORK! Our turnover is very low because we are very employee focused at SunGard Public Sector. We work hard at SunGard Public Sector. We reward ... More

10. Improve Internship program

Current Employee - Developer Intern in Heathrow, FL
    Current Employee - Developer Intern in Heathrow, FL

I have been working at SunGard Public Sector full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is your experience. Everyone is really friendly and its a great atmosphere.

Cons

The internship program sucks. If you expect to get hired fulltime, I would look elsewhere. Here you will just get hired and then look for other places once your resume is filled out

Advice to Management

Hire your talent.

Dec 2, 2014 – Senior Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your insight. We are creating a new recruiting program for students in 2015. It will be called the GAP program. We take ideas of our employees and ... More

11. Awesome People, Fantastic Customers

I worked at SunGard Public Sector

Pros

I absolutely loved working with the people of SunGard and share in their passion for the customer.

Cons

Compared to other commercial private companies the pay for performance at SunGard is very poor. When I reflect back this was by far one of my most positive work experiences but I simply could not afford to keep working there. Hopefully either their equity group will figure this out or they will get purchased by a company that can fund a more equitable variable compensation plan.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. As a former leader I can tell you that you have some great thinkers and some passionate people. Everything is not about software functionality, service and overall experience can improve greatly with more involvement from the field.

Dec 2, 2014 – Senior Human Resources Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We value our talented employees and appreciate our fantastic customers!

RSS Feed </> Embed