SunGard Reviews

Reset
3.2
SunGard President, CEO and Director Russell P. (Russ) Fradin
Russell P. (Russ) Fradin

Pros
  • If you are put in right project they work life balance would be excellent (in 46 reviews)

• Work culture is comfortable and flexible (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non existent (in 9 reviews)

• Constant upper management reorgs (in 12 reviews)

1. Company review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at SunGard full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work, Friendly and Flexible work environment. Latest Technology. Competitive Salary, Management takes care employees very well.

Cons

working for the company more than 10 years, Other than minor issues that I think every company has to deal with, I do not that I can mention here.

2. PM

Former Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at SunGard

Pros

SunGard is a global company. They are known for their education and financial software. Several opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Lack of leadership who are knowledgeable in the application they manage. The company doesn't invest in new technology nor in their employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to invest in all of their software. The application needs to be upgrade as new technology become available enhancing the existing application. Need to stay competitive.

3. Developer II

Former Employee - Software Developer III in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Software Developer III in High Point, NC

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had own office, dress very casual (polo shirts, jeans), Thursday morning breakfast paid for by the company, a lot of excellent training. Pay and benefits were excellent as well.

Cons

The application was originally written in VFP with SQL Server back end. I was to help fix bugs and add minimal new functionaly as a .NET team was put together to convert the VFP app to .NET. The VFP application was extremely terribly written and dealing with it day in and day out was a real mess and extremely frustrating knowing we were only keeping it alive long enough for the conversion to .NET. The leadership struggled with this setup. Especially since new features were being added to the VFP applications. It was going to be a very long process and left after one year. I couldn't deal with attempt to fix a mess and at the same time adding features that would sometimes break other areas of the application. Biggest mess I've ever seen.

Went Downhill

I worked at SunGard

Pros

Used to be great place, innovate and fun. That changed when focus went to cost cutting instead of growing the business.

Cons

Ran off all the talent. Outsourced everything to India. Now it's constant turnover. As soon as you train up someone they leave for another company.

Advice to Management

Really not much they can do. IPO may let them invest and hire some people. People could get more done if they didn't have so many security restraints.

Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in West Chester, PA

I worked at SunGard (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Work, Nice People, Good Clients

Cons

Management didn't get along, lack of focus, unclear objectives

Advice to Management

focus on customers, people, not their turf

7. Consultant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at SunGard (More than a year)

Pros

The structure is very flat, and it allowed me to get face-to-face interaction with not only managing directors, but also executives at clients.

Cons

The risk consulting group was very small and not well-integrated with the rest of the firm. Also, senior management of the firm, while approachable, was headquartered on a different continent.

Advice to Management

Have senior management in the US, integrate acquired groups, cross-leverage sales forces, and provide a structured training program for new hires.

8. Good company

I have been working at SunGard

Pros

Good personalities, the outlook is positive

Cons

Bad sense of worker ownership

Advice to Management

Fire people that don't do any work please

Good coffee, terrible work environment

Former Employee - Data Entry in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Birmingham, AL

I worked at SunGard (More than a year)

Pros

In my time at Sungard-Omni Department, I met some terrific coworkers and learned a great deal about information systems. On the surface, the atmosphere is fairly relaxed, and the work monotonous and fairly easy, thanks to a great training program setup to spoon-feed instructions.

Cons

SunGard is definitely a company focused on the bottom-line, and this is clearly indicated in the poor choice of management in the Omni Service Bureau. All problems occurring were swept under the rug by manager and anyone with potential to be more than just a sheep crunching data, run off with the most high school of tactics. There is a very strong group-think mentality in this department, and in my experience, only the most average of average employees were allowed to move up in any way. See the problem this creates? I'm sorry to say that I would recommend this job only to retirees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

A mixed bag

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at SunGard (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation was good, plenty of physical resources.

Cons

Extremely poor management, Inconsistent, illogical and arbitrary decision making patterns and ever changing policies suited for the short term convenience of the powers-that-be. Performance reviews of very poor quality. Cliquish and hyper-political work environment.

Advice to Management

Get some backbone, roll up your sleeves and engage with your committed employees.

11. PreSales Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at SunGard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, and 401k match (50% of your first 6%). Good people in the Burlington office, they bring in lunch once a week.

Cons

Lots of layers of management. They have at least 15 different people with a COO title in various different groups. As a PreSales Engineer your job is to help close new business and assist in up selling existing accounts. Once the deal is closed and the account is transitioned to Professional Services it's out of your hands, however due to an issue with the product that could have been fixed, but the COO of one of the smaller software groups chose not to fix the client took advantage of an out clause and the COO decided to claw back $5,000 in commission that had already been paid.

RSS Feed </> Embed