SunPower (San Jose, CA)
www.sunpowercorp.com San Jose, CA 5000+ Employees

SunPower (San Jose, CA) Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
SunPower (San Jose, CA) – US – “Main office”

SunPower (San Jose, CA) CEO and Director Tom Werner

Tom Werner

Pros:
  • "Good people environment and good work atmosphere (at least in the Richmond office)"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Wonderful being in renewable energy"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is only balanced if you don't like your life"
    in 3 reviews
  • "The solar industry is interesting and ever changing, for some it's too chaotic"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Product, horrible CAO

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsGood product and technology, unassuming CEO and very knowledgeable, great manufacturing team

ConsHorrible CAO, more of talk less knowledge, until this CAO is removed you cannot trust financials

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your CAO and appoint ethical and knowledgeable person

Decent place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good people in the company. They can be really helpful. But some of them are just overloaded and not having bandwidth to help.

ConsSome bad colleague and management. All talking and no actions. You have to pick your battle or just leave on time and enjoy your personal life outside the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAction speaks louder than words

At the beginning it was a lot of fun to work there. Then it became a sweat shop

Manager (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsWorking for an Alternative Energy company. Some of the people there are very good

ConsSome of the people there make your work difficult. Meetings after meetings, little time to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of bad apples that continue with bad attitude, year after year.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent vertically integrated solar co

Senior Director (Current Employee)
    Richmond, CA

Prosexcellent team attitude, work life balance is a priority

Consareas of business focus are varied and vastly different one another

Advice to Senior Managementbeat the street

New processes weekly

ProsNot much. Quarterly bonuses not always paid.

ConsWork life balance. The current management doesn't care how many hours are worked and the hiring process is a joke.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself.

Lots to do in the their NetOps group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe NetOps team is cohesive and effective. Previous Ops leadership was lacking but in the last 6 months both IT/Apps VP's have left.

ConsPrevious IT management was ineffective and set against each other. When not jockeying for position they could make progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! I enjoyed my time there.

SunPower Manager Post

ProsAwesome growth industry that provides oppertunity to radically change the way the world is powered by disrupting the fossil fuel industry with cheap renewable power

ConsThe culture of the company is very focused on working very long hours in a demanding environment where it's expected that you are totally focused on your job

Huge ability to have an impact and greater breadth and complexity than lots of mid-cap & solar companies.

Management (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsChallenging work, wide breadth, very diverse business units, will be pushed to perform at a much higher level than many other companies. Great focus on constant improvement. Global company with residential, commercial and utility segments.

ConsYou have to set boundaries for your version of work-life balance, and we will try to stretch them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on growing customer focus and service capability.

Great place to work

R&D Intern (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsSunpower provided a great environment to work in. The people were very friendly and everyone is dedicated to making solar energy a real viable alternative for the future of energy production.

ConsSometimes the work can get pretty mundane. The company is large, and so there is some red tape to get through before work can commence. Also, since it is large, sometimes your work is very focused and does not really let you learn a lot.

SunPower is a great place to expand on experience and effect change positively in our world.

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Richmond, CA

ProsMany brilliant minds at work in one place. Exposure to a global team environment. Feel good about environmental improvement work.

ConsProcess can bog down progress. Politics can interfere with advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe bottoms up approach is a wonderful way to instill responsibility in others and promote growth. However there is a need for a real connection to be made interdepartmentally. I'm sure things have changed since I left.

Worked for SunPower (San Jose, CA)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunPower (San Jose, CA) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SunPower (San Jose, CA) CEO Tom Werner. All 69 reviews posted anonymously by SunPower (San Jose, CA) employees.