SunPower (San Jose, CA)

www.sunpowercorp.com

SunPower (San Jose, CA) Reviews

Updated Jun 29, 2014
SunPower (San Jose, CA) – US – “Main office”

SunPower (San Jose, CA) CEO and Director Tom Werner

Tom Werner

Pros
  • Good people environment and good work atmosphere (at least in the Richmond office)(in 6 reviews)

• Leading edge technology in the solar industry - makes you proud of changing the way the world is powered(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Few in upper management have contracting experience(in 5 reviews)

• Work life balance is only balanced if you don't like your life(in 3 reviews)

Great people, growing company!

Program Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsSmart, innovative, team-player people
    Great culture: always professional skills and attitude but simultaneously accepting of business casual or t-shirts and shorts.
    All work tied to changing the way the world is powered... and building a sustainable future for us all.

ConsMultiple and frequent reorgs. Extremely competitive marketplace = multiple waves of layoffs. Solid performers not always recognized or compensated fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a plan and an organization and stick with it.

Get In & Get Out

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsYou will be involved in some great projects w/ a leader in the industry (scary). There are some solid people still working in the trenches 8)))

ConsIt's not a place to hang your hat as technical knowledge is not valued. Few in upper management have contracting experience. Supply Chain is in disarray. It personifies Silicon Valley arrogance and "Catch 22" administrative shenanigans.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho really wants work thier? And why would you want to be thier customer? Without Totals $$$ you would be unemployed and forced to work as clowns 8P

N/A

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA company on the rise

ConsCharge customers a lot of money

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A number

Administrator (Former Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsIt's a large company and there's opportunity to move within the company.

ConsIt's a large company and you're just a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within before and working with internal talent.

Great place to work but I question their motives in the policies they push internally

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt is a great place to work, good pay and benefits. Mostly nice people to work with. There is room to experiment on new ideas.

ConsThe upper tier are pushing all values to customer centric items that seem to place us all at a disadvantage. Increasingly it is a do more with less and anything the customer wants vice what they truly need. A customer focus is great but it is making the internal operations very short sighted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance your values. Stop being afraid to add personnel when they are needed. The org is so lean that it cannot sustain the demands of the company. This is where the future breaking point will be. Organizational Exhaustion will lead to higher turnover and lack of confidence in the leadership. Knowing what I know as an investor (not insider) I would sell if it continues.

Good company, great coworkers, but ultimately felt misled about the chance I would be given to succeed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked on a great team, really collegial. Great work-life balance. Superb benefits. Felt great supporting the company's products.

ConsSunPower's (highest) price point makes them extremely vulnerable to competition and market factors. I think that without a cheaper PV product option, they are doomed to stagnant growth, at least in some market segments. Also, being a public company makes them a slave to Wall Street.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need a cheaper product to be more competitive. Don't blame staff for when you don't hit quarterly goals primarily due to this HUGE handica.

Many good people treated badly - No recognition, no job security, no confidentiality, no confidence in exec staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsHigh quality product, many excellent and dedicated employees, good benefits

ConsMost salaries are below market. No clear report of actual earnings due to obfuscation by HR. Statement of earnings includes projected bonuses, benefits and paid time off, but not adjusted for unpaid time off required at year's end. There is no job security. HR, based in Texas, is ignorant of California law and provides incorrect information, routinely violates state and federal labor laws. High-visibiity long-term staff have been laid off without notice when their jobs were arbitrarily transferred to lower paying US or foreign markets. Good people leave and are not replaced. Management circulates "anonymous" questionnaires prior to quarterly open meetings, but it is common knowledge that they are not anonymous and no one answers truthfully for fear of reprisal. Performance evaluation software is also touted as confidential, but no one answers truthfully for the same reason. There is little confidence in the executive staff, some of whom are utterly unqualified for their positions, but prevalent demeanor is obsequious. Established e-staff members and management staff vanish abruptly and are replaced with no explanation. Austerity programs are applied randomly. Software is either obsolete or, in the case of new programs, selected without apparent regard for functionality. Training is inadequate or absent. Management in many cases have no management skills and, despite lip service to the contrary, are not loyal to or supportive of their subordinates. Information regarding where to turn for answers does not exist. Accounting department (which is excellent) is overseas; unclear and haphazard U.S. approval processes result in bills being consistently unpaid or paid late, sometimes many months late. Some e-staff, through sheer apathy or inattention, allow their subordinates to claim credit for the hard work of others and to assume power disproportionate to both their position and their abilities. Power corrupts. Watch your back.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoyalty.

Crumbling From The Inside

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

ProsGreat technology
    Diversified business
    Solid growth potential
    Competitive compensation and industry leader in the equity plan department
    Will be one of the long term winners in the battle for solar

ConsI left SunPower half way through 2013 after I concluded I had no growth potential. It was a disappointing conclusion for me, but life after SunPower has been great and further points out the internal dysfunction at this company. I have received >10 inquiries from current employees over the last 6 months who too are dissatisfied with SunPower and looking to move elsewhere. SunPower's success in retaining employees is solely based on the fact that their existing employees believe there are only a few 'safe' options within the solar industry as it goes through consolidation.

Limited internal growth prospects due to the segmented nature of their business
    Negative spirit of competition within its employee base (people rooting for others to fail)
    Inconsistency in compensation on the sales side, rewards luck versus hard work and innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the employee issues or retention will be a problem in the long run.

Very Intense, with lots of great experience, but the experience tends to be the reward

Senior Manager (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsPeople are generally very nice and fun to work with.
    The growth of the industry and the company provide a lot of opportunity to gain great experience that would normally require more seniority.

ConsWork life balance is only balanced if you don't like your life.
    They tend to bring in outside talent rather than promote from within.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time and effort to decide what NOT to do. You tend to give directions that mean do everything. It leads to the work/life balance challenges.

Excellent vertically integrated solar co

Senior Director (Current Employee) Richmond, CA

Prosexcellent team attitude, work life balance is a priority

Consareas of business focus are varied and vastly different one another

Advice to Senior Managementbeat the street

Worked for SunPower (San Jose, CA)? Contribute to the Community!