SunTrust
www.suntrust.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

SunTrust Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros:
  • "You will have a good work life balance if you manage your time effectively"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice"
    in 58 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very product pushy and upper management liked to micro-manage"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Hard to transition from Branch Manager position into Corporate"
    in 25 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good teammates

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsThe people not in the mgt level are good and work together

ConsThey do no value employees within, looks for people outside of bank. Layoffs

Basic teller job

ProsThere is room for advancement within the company

ConsThe pay is very little for the hard work and sales referrals we are pushed to get

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher wages

Smoke and mirrors

Csr3 (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

Prosgood pay, good benfits and job stability

ConsPoor management, shift bids, un caring staff, poor work hours and very mean staff

Advice to Senior ManagementYou’re going to have employees that are student so you should work with them on their class hour and help them out. This will help them out and want them to stay with the company after working. Also care a little about the employees and a lot of this has to do with public company so I know this is out of your control but other company have done it. Also when speaking to a employee don’t put them to the side office alone. A manger did this to me and maid up a story that got me fired I could not fight it. it was her word agents mine. I heard from friends that she was fired for jus that act.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Manager with Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification working on projects to increase efficiency ratio

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe teammates at SunTrust are top notch and work together on projects to get things accomplished.

ConsLeadership is lost, company has no direction. Their idea of increasing efficiency and reducing expenses is laying off hundreds of people only to rehire mass amounts in less than a year. Leadership and Executives are out of touch with teammates and do not value their expertise

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider analyzing talent before deciding to layoff mass amounts of people you just hired within a year. Stop saying you value internal consultants who can increase efficiencies when all you do is lay them off the first chance you get. Your messaging to teammates is not clear and your direction is minimal. No strategic plan. You spend too much money hiring external candidates taking the risk they they will achieve results while overlooking the talent you already have with the same if not MORE qualifications that are really trying to make a difference in the company. Your strategic plan to increase the efficiency ratio should not include laying off people every single year. You are all over the place and it is unprofessional and quite embarrassing. You do NOT value your teammates and you wonder why teammate engagement is low.

Teller Coordinator

Teller Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsThe people that you meet are amazing and the pay is fair. You actually get more coming in as a new employee than you would transferring or getting a promotion. The bonus money is good if you can actually make the sales but its highly unlikely that you will make your goals every quarter because the banking business is no longer what it once was.

ConsThe drill down on sales and referrals is horrible. They will stress you out about sales which will eventually lead to you being dissatisfied with your job overall. The workplace is becoming more cut throat with everyone wanting to get sales and not wanting to get called out on conference calls for not making sales and/or possibly being given a verbal or written warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to understand what work life balance is and know that people have families and priorities outside of work. If you want to make your sales higher then pay attention to your store geographically and pay more attention to the well being of your employees. Just in the two years I worked there I saw a well developing environment of good hard working people turned into a confused cut throat business who is constantly making chances to keep up with the bigger banks. I honesty thought a merger would be happening soon with the directly that SunTrust is going in these days I say "go for it" anything to make things better or get back to who you once were.

Most Horrible company ever

Teller Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Okeechobee, FL

ProsThe branch level staff work great as a team, looking out for one another and motivating each other. Suntrust has good benefits.

ConsSuntrust is very micro managed, leaving the branches in disarray as they change goals and procedures every week (i'm being serious). implementation of new procedures is horrible, operations doesn't know the answers to branch staffs questions, area managers tell you one thing and branch managers tell you another, rom's will give you another story.

Operating systems are basically a MSDOS program, it actually says copywritghed 1988. It makes it hard to review anything that is of significant value to assist teller line with any issues. It is extremely antiquated.

Branch managers are free to run their branch as they would their own business which is a great concept in theory but leaves managers to make erroneous policies and procedures and can be very horrible in a situation where the manager doesn't like a certain employee they can make their work life extremely difficult.

Goals in the 8 months I have worked here have changed no less than 5 times. Each time was an increase, I can understand annually reviewing the goals and going up based on outstanding performance, but every 1 1/2 months and then to require part time tellers to do the same amount of referrals as a full time teller is beyond me.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit with your employees listen to them, make this a good place to work. Provide proper training. Stop outsourcing everything, (it doesn't work). As a company I think you need to get back to basics.

It good

ProsWork from home, great management

Conscall center so no work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

overall great culture,

Prosculture of client need based selling is very good

ConsStaffing challenges cause work life balance difficulties.

Advice to Senior Management.

If you want to be respected, don't be a teller.

Teller (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe pay was decent and depending on the location, the flow was steady.

ConsThe company is constantly changing their policies. Also, favoritism is prevalent in branches.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop showing favoritism towards certain employees. All should be treated with respect.

Could be worse, but could be better

Branch Manager (Former Employee)
    Spartanburg, SC

ProsGood benefits, vacation time is accommodating.

ConsNo appreciation of their employees. Culture says they are client service driven, and to a degree they are, but they definitely put a preference on the higher net worth clients. Everything is report driven. All pay increases are performance driven, and that's great, but even the highest performers may only walk away with a two percent annual increase. Expense control is often a hindrance to job performance; when you cut staff to extreme bare bones, how is an individual supposed to meet their sales and performance goals?

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees (teammates)

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SunTrust reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SunTrust CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr. All 720 reviews posted anonymously by SunTrust employees.