SunTrust

www.suntrust.com

SunTrust Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • You will have a good work life balance if you manage your time effectively(in 34 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management(in 39 reviews)

• The job as a Branch Manager did not allow for work life balance(in 28 reviews)

Large bank with a lot of competent people, but with some questionable decisions at times.

Project Management (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsI had a very good group of co-workers, that got things done sometimes despite the environment.

ConsOperations and other backroom groups seemed to be in constant reorganization mode, which led to having to constantly relearn how the structure worked to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to keep your experienced staff engaged and working in areas where they have expertise. Constant reorganizations and staff reductions with associated outsourcing are bad for morale.

Good opportunity for learning, but has entrenched middle management

ProsGreat people to work with.

ConsEntrenched middle management (10+ yrs), doesn't allow change easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove people around some and you might get a refreshed organization.

Good pay but must make sales results or you get fired

Commercial Relationship Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsFull service bank that which allows you to service any and all client needs.

ConsMoral is shot due to employee turn over - bank has 40% market share and trying to grow in a saturated footprint so the pressure to hit targets is high. If you're not at full production within 6 months you get micro managed to death. I'd have to say the growth expectations are not reasonable unless they are open to new markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's less expensive to keep the clients you have and fully franchise them when compared to attracting new customers. This concept seems to have escaped the top level.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat company to work for

Conssalary is not very competitive

Training Specialist

Training Specialist (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe BEST training
    Great benefits
    Career advancement opportunities if you are well-liked

ConsLove to play musical bankers... constantly shuffling
    You are not a person. You are just a number.
    Horrendous sales pressue.
    They constantly tell you that you are lucky to have a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to everyone: Run away! As fast as you can.

Smoke and mirrors

Csr3 (Former Employee) Orlando, FL

Prosgood pay, good benfits and job stability

ConsPoor management, shift bids, un caring staff, poor work hours and very mean staff

Advice to Senior ManagementYou’re going to have employees that are student so you should work with them on their class hour and help them out. This will help them out and want them to stay with the company after working. Also care a little about the employees and a lot of this has to do with public company so I know this is out of your control but other company have done it. Also when speaking to a employee don’t put them to the side office alone. A manger did this to me and maid up a story that got me fired I could not fight it. it was her word agents mine. I heard from friends that she was fired for jus that act.

Project Manager with Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification working on projects to increase efficiency ratio

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe teammates at SunTrust are top notch and work together on projects to get things accomplished.

ConsLeadership is lost, company has no direction. Their idea of increasing efficiency and reducing expenses is laying off hundreds of people only to rehire mass amounts in less than a year. Leadership and Executives are out of touch with teammates and do not value their expertise

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider analyzing talent before deciding to layoff mass amounts of people you just hired within a year. Stop saying you value internal consultants who can increase efficiencies when all you do is lay them off the first chance you get. Your messaging to teammates is not clear and your direction is minimal. No strategic plan. You spend too much money hiring external candidates taking the risk they they will achieve results while overlooking the talent you already have with the same if not MORE qualifications that are really trying to make a difference in the company. Your strategic plan to increase the efficiency ratio should not include laying off people every single year. You are all over the place and it is unprofessional and quite embarrassing. You do NOT value your teammates and you wonder why teammate engagement is low.

Most Horrible company ever

Teller Coordinator (Former Employee) Okeechobee, FL

ProsThe branch level staff work great as a team, looking out for one another and motivating each other. Suntrust has good benefits.

ConsSuntrust is very micro managed, leaving the branches in disarray as they change goals and procedures every week (i'm being serious). implementation of new procedures is horrible, operations doesn't know the answers to branch staffs questions, area managers tell you one thing and branch managers tell you another, rom's will give you another story.

Operating systems are basically a MSDOS program, it actually says copywritghed 1988. It makes it hard to review anything that is of significant value to assist teller line with any issues. It is extremely antiquated.

Branch managers are free to run their branch as they would their own business which is a great concept in theory but leaves managers to make erroneous policies and procedures and can be very horrible in a situation where the manager doesn't like a certain employee they can make their work life extremely difficult.

Goals in the 8 months I have worked here have changed no less than 5 times. Each time was an increase, I can understand annually reviewing the goals and going up based on outstanding performance, but every 1 1/2 months and then to require part time tellers to do the same amount of referrals as a full time teller is beyond me.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit with your employees listen to them, make this a good place to work. Provide proper training. Stop outsourcing everything, (it doesn't work). As a company I think you need to get back to basics.

Loved the work but you are told to do one thing while expected to do something totally different.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Cookeville, TN

ProsAbility to telecommute. Pay wasn't bad, bonuses based on performance.

ConsToo much focus on metrics. While stressing that you have to meet these (you will be written up for not meeting them) and you must go strictly by performance, I had a customer complaint while I did everything strictly by the book (would have failed process quality if I didn't) It all depends on if your manager likes you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a policy and stick with it you can't expect employees to perform at the level you want when the policy changes from day to day, sometimes call to call. Quit taking jobs overseas and expecting employee loyalty when everyone is scared to death if their next call is their last.

I Used to Like Working Here

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI met a lot of great people working here. Although the salary was not the best, I liked the atmosphere and enjoyed what I was doing.

ConsThey have lost their identity. They are all over the place, and outsourcing is out of control. Management thinks that the key to being effective is micro-managing and being nasty and unprofessional. Working from home means that you are expected to work longer hours.

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!