SunTrust Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
998 reviews filtered by
2.7
SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good benefits regarding health insurance and 401K with company match (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 44 reviews)

• Everybody from the branch manager down to the tellers are stressed which creates a negative atmosphere (in 32 reviews)

Vice President

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time

Pros

A paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

AS A NEW EMPLOYEE IF YOU DEPOSIT YOUR PAYCHECK WITH SUNTRUST BANK, YOUR TEAMMATES CAN VIEW ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION IN YOUR ACCOUNTS AND THEY WILL ASK IF THEY CAN BORROW MONEY FROM YOU AND HAVE NO SHAME IN QUOTING YOUR ACCOUNT BALANCE TO OTHERS ESPECIALLY IF YOU CHOSE NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS.

Not fully vested in the 401 (k) until the two year anniversary.

The processes are "half baked" and employees are used as guinea pigs to figure out the processes senior management attempts to implement throughout the Bank (teller, consumer, commercial, private wealth). After taxes, raise does not even allow me to fill up my 15 gallon gas tank which would be roughly $30.00. Hostile work environment, discriminatory, political, lots of favoritism if you "cozy up" with the boss.

The Bank loves to use words such as accountability, efficiency, ownership, and leadership which it has stolen from your resume or LinkedIn profile. Not a single person in management is able to show case any of these qualities. The Bank is not interested in honest dialogue and change, it just wants a body to push a button, and is sending most jobs overseas to India.

Health insurance did not cover one of the exams for my general wellness physical which is standard at other companies. The dress code- no casual Fridays and you are expected to wear a blazer at all times, even though a teller at SunTrust Bank only makes $11.00 an hour. The incentive programs are dissolved after you actually begin to meet your goals in the Branch. Branch goals are not in tune with the market with all of the technology available to customers. Teammates are the most unprofessional, and rudest people I have encountered in my professional life. Worse than high school.

Highly ineffective, inefficient procedures to make your workday a living nightmare and not to "inconvenience the client". The Bank uses the client as an excuse. "Client First" means being a doormat to the public because the relationship managers have no clue or skill set in how to actually manage a true banking relationship. A relationship manager at SunTrust Bank is nothing more than a salesman in a monkey suit.

Advice to Management

Resign, the lack of respect employees have for one another begins with you and the ultra conservative Board of Directors and it is reflected in the executive management team. For the holidays please send a block of cheese to all the relationship managers for all the whining they do.

2. A family that became over-corporate and cutthroat.

Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At first, it was a family. People really enjoyed working there. Then, the bank brought in the hatchet men to outsource a chunk of IT.

Cons

After the outsourcing, the whole environment changed, even for remaining Suntrust employees. There was no respect or trust. It became such a negative environment I would never go back.

Advice to Management

Pull everything back in house and start treating people like they matter again.

from good to worst

Current Employee - Teller 1-3 in Bladensburg, MD
    Current Employee - Teller 1-3 in Bladensburg, MD

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

great people to work with, the hours are good, and some of the clients are amazing.

Cons

the way everything is going with people leaving its saddening the goals have gotten way to crazy everyone is stressed no one wants to even come to work anymore because of all the overload these goals. These goals are unrealistic you want the customers to come back not pushed away by shoving something they do not need.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, don't make us so stressed out, you want to come to work everyday, and also pay people extra to speak a different language.

5. N/A

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

Not really many pros... i just enjoy about two people that I work with.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. They tend to not promote from within.

Advice to Management

N/A

Financial services representative

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked for in-store division inside a grocery store. No real pros except I made some good friends at the branch. The colleagues are the only thing that is ok and some of them are annoying to work with. You don't know what kind of people you will get, some are cool and some are uptight.

Cons

Terrible pay. They do not give raises to existing employees that often if at all. They look for any excuse not to promote you and it became the norm for them to hire from outside for all upper management jobs. No internal promotions. Terrible pay. Area managers and up are completely crazy and have unrealistic goals. Their new focus is now new household accounts (people who have no accounts with suntrust) and if you aren't opening these accounts they get mad at you even if you're hitting sales goals in other ways such as loans and etc. I worked for the North Carolina in store division and it was terrible! I did it for two years and I was one of the longest tenured employees because the turnover rate in NCM was 80%! Not lying. Do not apply or accept a position with in store. If you do work for suntrust, don't be in sales and if you are you need to be in a traditional branch.

Advice to Management

Stop changing your direction every other week. You are completely disconnected to from your employees who make your numbers. Also, don't tell them in a meeting that morale is wholly upon them and it's not up to the management to keep morale high like one area manager did. It made us hate our jobs that much more.

7. The most dishonest bank I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Teller in Dale City, VA
    Former Employee - Teller in Dale City, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A few nice co workers

Cons

Constant restructuring, sketchy business practices, shady dealings behind the scenes and so much more

Advice to Management

Follow through goes a long way with your staff and customers. I felt sick to my stomach many days when leaving work because we were in the business of deceiving the common customer. I feel much better after leaving

Culture problems

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

Good 401k matching, good hours, pay is competitive

Cons

Very aggressive sales goals, micro-management, members of management with questionable ethics, pushed to cross the line and do anything to get a sale.

Advice to Management

You need to send upper management into the branches (like Undercover Boss) without letting them know who you are and see what's going on. Is this really what you want?

9. CRE RM

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is based in Atlanta not New York

Cons

The company doesnt understand the NY Market.

Branch Manager

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are good, and the location of the branch I am running is very close to home. The people that work for me the tellers and bankers are awesome. The customers are also very good and the morale in the branch is great.

Cons

Upper management just out right treat Branch Managers bad. I happen to be a Saturday Branch and even though my supporting branches have not complained and have offered to help work an occasional Saturday, leadership has decided that I should be self sufficient which will require me to work 2-3 Saturdays per month. There are long Monday evening conference calls discussing commitments and floor minimums, bi-weekly deep dives, and bi-weekly Performance Leadership Model calls which are touch bases to all of the commitments, a Monday Team Meeting, a Thursday Teammate Readiness meeting, monthly branch Manger Meetings, weekly stay late call nights, and daily calling power hours. TOO MUCH!!!
    The worse thing yet...the technology is one step above a credit union. The system is constantly crapping out and you spend wasted minutes just trying to open a simple checking account. Leadership are all tech-tards and would prefer filling out paper profiles on clients, using paper calendars to manage appointment setting and old fashioned binder and tab system so they can inspect what you are doing.
    Bonuses for branch managers are all or nothing; if you made all of your Sales and Referral Points, Service, Controllable (which is completely did your tellers balance for the quarter), Active checking (did they use it so many times or set up online banking), and Deposit Growth. If you made all of these and I mean all, then you might make a bonus.
    Morale is low and no matter what you do it is not enough! Area Manager has favorites and it is obvious in meetings. Since she decides how the goals are adjusted year over year.

Advice to Management

Build Morale, change the bonus structure so there is some motivation for making 3 out of 5 categories (no one is perfect all of the time). Recognize that sometimes there are obstacles that as a manager you cannot control and you should not have to sacrifice your bonus.

Worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Short commute and talented team members who fight to do their best despite incompetent managers Made some great friendships that I will maintain

Cons

This is one of the most self- serving management team I've ever seen. It's all about who you know not skill set. Lots of idiots at the top. Throwing people under the bus for self- grandisement is the theme.

Advice to Management

Learn how to lead and truly care about your employees.