SunTrust Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.7

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 40 reviews)

• The job as a Branch Manager did not allow for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Thrown out like trash after almost 20 years

Former Employee - Database Administrator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My co-workers was one of the few positives about Suntrust.

Cons

Worked like a dog the last several months I was there, and then summoned to my managers' office and being summarily fired with no severance pay or given any time at all to find another job. They didn't even wait until the end of the day to do this, but did it while all of my co-workers were present to watch. Very poor management. I would hope anyone considering coming to Suntrust would choose anywhere else first. They don't know the meaning of the word loyalty. The only thing I can say good about them is that they're financially solvent, and I'm looking forward to the pension I'm going to enjoy spending for many years.

Why bother.

Unappreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Suntrust the pay is favorable and has the potential to be a great company with the correct leadership. The benefits are fantastic and also needed to cope with the stress.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch. Incentive plan is designed to prevent associates from achieving. Associates not receiving guidance for career development. Call nights every week get old and wears down teammates.

ST has potential to do great things. Currently, the leadership is out of touch and lacks leadership to inspire success. Associates do not have a voice and would be retaliated against if they spoke up.

Pressured

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

I built some great relationship with the customers via long term retention building. It open the door for some strong sales leads and the ability to develop strong good leads.

Cons

Management was very poor and not well trained. They were constantly pressured the employee to produce even thought banking was ungoqing some fundamental changes.

The should undergo more training on the retail floor.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

not at all people-focused

Former Employee - Personal Banker  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Durham, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed being able to help people when I could. Salary and benefits were pretty good.

Cons

Having to try to force expensive products and services that struggling clients didn't need felt awful. It goes against trying to help clients when you have to try to talk them into things that result in more/higher fees that they already cannot afford. The attitude that a client is not a "real client" unless you can get a sale out of them shows how little they actually care about their clients.

Employees are belittled and yelled at in front of other employees and clients regularly. How exactly is this supposed to improve performance?

Readjust your focus to the people (both employees and clients). Clients that feel like they can get help rather than a high-pressure sales pitch when they are struggling will be clients for life.

Regardless of sales employees deserve to be treated with basic human respect. A little bit of this will go a long way.

SunTrust: Wrong Company to work for..............

Former Employee - Teller Coordinator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Teller Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No Pro at all, wrong company to work for............

Cons

Company values are total screwed. No Loyalty, no vision, horrible pay and extremely incompetent managers.
    Managers get away with murder, Upper managment has no clue what is going on in their branch's. Some branch's are under staffed which it a safety and service issue daily. They work their employees very hard with little or no reward. Incentive plans always changes which cause goals to be higher each year and rewards stays the same or is lowered.

Please close your doors, Wells Fargo is better choice.

Cut-Throat, Dishonest manager

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

I met and worked with a great team of people.

Cons

Management is cut-throat and phony.

Clean house on mid-management.

Room for growth

Current Employee - Personal Banker  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place for diversity and sales. I'm sorry but I don't have too many pros for this company and I tend to be very enthusiastic about my work

Cons

Not enough leadership or support. Hire people who aren't qualified for the job and then don't train them for success. A lot of constant unanswered questions. Disconnect in retail and call center solutions

Growth necessary in order for the company to remain successful. It must hire qualified managers and then take care of the managers so that they want to take care of their employees

Training Specialist

Former Employee - Training Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The BEST training
    Great benefits
    Career advancement opportunities if you are well-liked

Cons

Love to play musical bankers... constantly shuffling
    You are not a person. You are just a number.
    Horrendous sales pressue.
    They constantly tell you that you are lucky to have a job.

Advice to everyone: Run away! As fast as you can.

Smoke and mirrors

Former Employee - Csr3  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Csr3 in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay, good benfits and job stability

Cons

Poor management, shift bids, un caring staff, poor work hours and very mean staff

You’re going to have employees that are student so you should work with them on their class hour and help them out. This will help them out and want them to stay with the company after working. Also care a little about the employees and a lot of this has to do with public company so I know this is out of your control but other company have done it. Also when speaking to a employee don’t put them to the side office alone. A manger did this to me and maid up a story that got me fired I could not fight it. it was her word agents mine. I heard from friends that she was fired for jus that act.

Project Manager with Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification working on projects to increase efficiency ratio

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The teammates at SunTrust are top notch and work together on projects to get things accomplished.

Cons

Leadership is lost, company has no direction. Their idea of increasing efficiency and reducing expenses is laying off hundreds of people only to rehire mass amounts in less than a year. Leadership and Executives are out of touch with teammates and do not value their expertise

Consider analyzing talent before deciding to layoff mass amounts of people you just hired within a year. Stop saying you value internal consultants who can increase efficiencies when all you do is lay them off the first chance you get. Your messaging to teammates is not clear and your direction is minimal. No strategic plan. You spend too much money hiring external candidates taking the risk they they will achieve results while overlooking the talent you already have with the same if not MORE qualifications that are really trying to make a difference in the company. Your strategic plan to increase the efficiency ratio should not include laying off people every single year. You are all over the place and it is unprofessional and quite embarrassing. You do NOT value your teammates and you wonder why teammate engagement is low.

SunTrust Photos

SunTrust Headquarter offices located in Downtown Atlanta (Photo attributed to Organicabq)
SunTrust Building
Suntrust Bank offices in Orlando Florida, located in the Suntrust Center at 200 South Orange Avenue (Photo attributed to Imagempt)
A typical SunTrust bank branch, this one located at 4235 University Drive in Durham, North Carolina. (Photo attributed to Ildar Sagdejev)

+ Add Photo

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!