SunTrust

SunTrust Reviews

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.7

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good benefits regarding health insurance and 401K with company match (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 44 reviews)

• Everybody from the branch manager down to the tellers are stressed which creates a negative atmosphere (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Teller

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

I loved the employees I worked with, they helped me out more than my manager. I knew that they could help me understand more of the banking world, since they had experience.

Cons

My manager was the worst, she was not in tune with her clients nor her staff, she spent her time in her office writing evaluations her employees with no real connection to them. Her analysis was based off of her monitoring our computer activity and looking at our facial expressions.

You really need to do a better job at updating the systems, and training managers properly.

No real direction... Just right for a merger.

Former Employee - Operations Analyst
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Has the potential to be a great place to work. Participating in employee engagement. 401k, health benefits, tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Always behind the top banks in technology and pay. Used to be a great place to work. No follow through on employee engagement surveys. Nothing positive anyway... Employees held under the gun for bad reviews and basically forced to change it or else. No longer a place that offers opportunities for growth and advancement. Favoritism is still alive and well even when employees that are favored are not qualified. Lots of restructuring, outsourcing and downsizing. Wouldn't surprise me if they were acquired soon.

Take heed to what the employees give you in feedback. Stop looking for ways to trim the staff as a means of revenue. Invest in your employees. They cannot provide good service when you have stripped them bare.

Former Private Client Advisor

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good products, good benefits, good co-workers. Suntrust has a good reputation, overall, and it wasn't as tarnished during the crisis.

Cons

In South Florida it feels as if management is attempting a complete cultural overhaul; however, local management is unable to articulate this often feels lost so that one feels directionless.

Lead, don't just parrot senior management.

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Officer in Parkland, FL
    Current Employee - Business Banking Relationship Officer in Parkland, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your voice is heard. Management is always available and ready to help. There is a lot of room for growth

Cons

Size can be a problem if you are looking to move to the northeast or western part of the country. Other than that, no other issues

Keep up the good work

Good Company

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

The best party about working at a bank are the holidays. You may get lucky and find an awesome manager. Having a good team makes a big difference. Good benefits as well.

Cons

Opportunities to progress. Getting a raise or recognition is not a very common thing. The pay is low considering the among of money your work brings to the bank. Retail is the bottom if the pyramid. Climbing the corporate latter is a serious task but like many organizations, knowing someone on the inside is the way to progress.

Value your team

The Choice is Yours as to whether you wish to work forever for this company making minimum

Current Employee - Credit Analyst
    Current Employee - Credit Analyst

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Pros of this Position is that you have weekends off.

Cons

The pay is low and the upward mobility is longer than one would expect to have

Think smaller. You are getting in your own way when you do not listen to the people you are managing.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management and training. Competitive salary.

Cons

Raises were awful. Basically you have to leave the company to get more money.

No advice at all

Great "do it for the team" culture.

Current Employee - Retail Credit Risk Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Credit Risk Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hours were not too demanding (compared to other banks), everyone is willing to help with any questions you may have, team environment, great company culture.

Cons

I found that I was not busy at all during some parts of the summer with no work to do, but then near quarter end the work piles on and seems as if it is never ending.

Allow for interns to meet with other parts of the bank and see what other departments do and how they function.

Great Place To Learn and Grow

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am constantly challenged. We are always striving for process improvements. I also enjoy working and interacting with people across business lines on problems for resolution.

Cons

Long hours during high volume peaks.

More formal training would help employee engagement.

Be competitive for crumbs.

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Suntrust is awesome when it comes to customer service. That's why I fell in love with the company in the first place.

Cons

Stop trying to be like other banks and concentrate on not being pests. A lot of the branches in the south have the same customers that come in several times a week. They don't want to be asked about applying for loans, credit cards or mortgages every time they come in.

Take a good look at the pattern of customers that come in instead of blaming the staff of not doing enough. Maybe the standards and numbers need to be adjusted.

SunTrust Photos