SunTrust Reviews

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.8

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 40 reviews)

• The job as a Branch Manager did not allow for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible place

Former Employee - Teller 1-3  in  Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Teller 1-3 in Roanoke, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Way above average pay Fairly laid back dress code Interviewing is easy Fast promotions Ample overtime opps available is you want them

Cons

Too demanding on the sales, pressure is on 24/7, clients feel like they have walked into a retail store, management is poorly managed themselves. Extremely quick turnover.

Better screen your mgmt team, from every tier down. Also, reward good behavior, not just punish the bad.

Emotionally Damaged

Former Employee - Investment Associate  in  Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice

Cons

Had five different boses telling me what to do. No clear expectation on what I was expected to do in my role. Role was explained vaguely in interview and was sorely surprised with co-workers and boses didn't have any motivation to help me develop as a team member. Extremely bullied by bosses and co-workers and management didn't care. Work job experience of my life.

Support your teammates development. Not encouraging to know that their input was not valued. Fire the bullies, they are toxic to the entire work environment.

Stis investment associate

Former Employee - Investment Associate  in  Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in Virginia (South Africa)

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work load is manageable and pay is good. Vacation time was ok. No personal time and very little sick time.

Cons

Incentive pay is not a written contract. Can work all year and then not paid for the extra money you worked for. Managers are lousy. They don't promote employees as assets. The politics in my group was overwhelming. I would rather deliver pizza than work for suntrust investment services

Praise employees! Not just the high producers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the worst, if not THE worst, work experiences of my career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

There are some old and new managers and senior managers, especially newly-hired ones, that have excellent work ethics and seem to really want to fix many of the internal issues that exist at the company.

Cons

Biggest challenges include the ever-changing staff roles and duties, lack of providing new information to staff when changes have taken place so they can do their jobs effectively, lack of training, and lack of consequences for staff that are complacent or non-cooperative in their positions and/or in team efforts.

Continue to hire fresh new staff at all levels.

review

Current Employee - Teller  in  Eatonton, GA
    Current Employee - Teller in Eatonton, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

great branch manager, bank is ok

Cons

schedules, employees, higher management does not care @ employees

NA

The company "preaches" a lot of talk to the associates however no action or policies are put in place.

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

My office was fortunate with great teammates to work with. I learned a lot from each person and I hope they learned from me as well.

Cons

The company's process is severely hindered. The customers suffer as a result of the long process time. Upper management does not listen to associate concerns or takes any action. The company's business model as a whole is rather short-sighted. The company will never be a major force in the mortgage industry.

Poor company to work for

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Im very dissatisfied with Suntrust

Cons

lots of challenges, don't bother with them.

PURE HELL with former BOA executives in roles

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

You received a pay check

Cons

Sun Trust, brought over arrogant executives from Bank of America, who ruined BOA, now Sun Trust. Former executives now making all the decisions, with fake smiles and rude personalities. They are trying to make Sun Trust just like BOA, well news for you if it didn't work there, its not going to work anywhere.

fire your rude BOA executives- they are ruining the company.

The least professional organization I've worked for.

Former Employee - Premier Banker  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Premier Banker in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get a reasonable amount of pay for very little actual work. Management is totally out of it. Fun co-workers to goof off with. My manager (in premier banking) made 6 figures to dial into meetings and hit mute. She spoke english very poorly and was really "inside the box". If our training did not specifically tell us to do something (investment suggestions, client gathering/retention ideas, etc.) she wouldn't let us do it. She told us to pass up business if they client wasn't willing to do it the "SunTrust way". Other management was too busy trying to pad numbers. If you get a manager that only cares about numbers they will let you do anything to get them, even if you aren't actually creating new business.

Cons

Micromanagement. Expect meetings M/W/F. Total culture of company is to make everyone scared they'll constantly lose their jobs.

You aren't a national bank, you can't hang with the bulge bracket boys, stop trying it isn't working. Promote based on capabilities, not whatever HR thinks.

Stop the Insanity

Current Employee - Sales  in  Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent salary, good co workers, clean conditions

Cons

Management who can't answer questions accurately, poor management of benefits. Management does not go to bat for employees

When an employee comes to you for direction, have the 'right' answer available or at least make an effort to find out. Be willing to back up what you tell the employee and be willing to stand up for the employee IF you agree with them.

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!