SunTrust Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
998 reviews filtered by

The worst professional job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Durham, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

paid time off during the first year and some cut rate health insurance.

Cons

Its all about sales and not people this including employees or customers of SunTrust. During orientation they talked about doing what is best for our customers but when you got in the branch they literally tell you that I don't care how you make the numbers just do it. So in turn I have seen a investment banker sell a 15 year annuity to a 87 year old lady. Setting up savings accounts for people who can not even keep a few dollars in there checking. Also working 6 days a week for 40 hours 3 out of 4 weeks a month. And always adding duties to my job description and not once receiving a raise.

Great at first! They have essentially ran off every Branch Manager in the Columbus Market. VERY DEMANDING MGT! I had a history as a top performer. ASK ABOUT tenure of the existing branch Mgrs in COLUMBUS.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Regional Bank
    Good reputation in the community. Great clients!
    Has been in the Columbus Market for 100+ years.
    Good historical presence .

Cons

Not the bank they use to be!!!
    Get ready for "how many products can you PUSH on people today?!!"
    They recently reduced staff and expect top tier Client service scores.

Advice to Management

Add some staff to the branches to free up the Sales people to Sell! Don't be surprised with negative client service scores wen staffing is cut by 30-50%.

Great peer group - high stress - results are the only thing that matters

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people in branches - they really want to help customers

Cons

expected to sell even when product not needed. Results is the only thing that counts. No common sense in how to coach or grow business. They want to act like big company without having full staffs.

Advice to Management

Upper management should work in a branch for a week to see what it like. It is one thing the to tell people what to do, it is another to do it.

5. Awful place to work. Antiquated systems and products.

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees were nice to work with despite the overall negativity of the office.

Cons

The management was out of touch with the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Quit wasting employees time with needless meeting and reports which detract from getting new business.

Numbers, numbers, numbers, over employees or customers. Don't take a job here, friend.

Current Employee - Branch Manager IV in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager IV in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After several minutes of intense thinking, I cannot think of a single pro for this bank.
    (This in the retail bank) Very few pros anymore. Once the bank cared about and wanted its employees to succeed. Once, the pay was fair and the goals were challenging, but reasonable. Senior Management's credo used to be "If we put something new on your plate, we will take something else off it."

Those days are gone.
    Now, the culture is very sales driven, and operates on a wishy-washy wannabe Bank of America model. Employees are under constant stress and are fearful for their jobs.

Cons

Near-impossible sales goals are compounded by arbitrary "points" system that sets very high monthly/quarterly goals, but each individual sale earns very small points. Management wants big volume of high-dollar, high-net worth customers that do not grow on trees.
    In addition, bonus compensation for personal bankers & branch managers is controlled by the Area Manager, who decides how much each person receives. For example, if a sales person earns a $1000 bonus, $700 of that - 70%! - goes into a pool that the AM can divide up however they choose. This system encourages favoritism and brown-nosers.
    Advancement is scarce, once a person reaches a "senior" personal banker level, there are few opportunities to move into management. Once a branch manager, you will stay a branch manager. There is zero movement to senior management at all. Senior managers (area manager level and higher) are ALWAYS recruited from other banks. Branches are run on skeleton crews as a matter of policy. Endless, pointless meetings and conference calls will eat at your soul. Every interaction between employees is dictated by a form that must be filled out, and discussed to death.
    Benefits are junk. Over-priced medical with poor coverage. 401k matching is laughable. Pay is lowest among is competitors. Typical branch manager (in my part of the world) will earn $45-$55k, while competitor banks offer $65-$75k and up for the same job.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nonsense points system. Stop tying to be Bank of America, go back to treating your people and customers like people, not money making drones.

Csm

Former Employee - CSM in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - CSM in Tampa, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing nice to say about suntrust! The goals are way to hard to reach. All they care about is sells, sells, sells,

Cons

Fake area managers, out of this world goals. Every three months goals go higher. You can not have a family life.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

Transition to what?

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best part are the benefits which include 20 days vacation (with officer title) and the remote work or mobile work arrangements. I learned a lot and met a lot of great people, including some really inspirational leaders until about a year ago.

Cons

The work is always heroics, lets pull together and work to get the last change in, late deliverables are norm, no requirements, business blaming IT and visa versa. Performance evaluations are done by the numbers so if you are with a manager in a small team you can get a low rating even though you did everything that was asked. No real advancement opportunities unless you can network with someone who happens to have an open position. The real goal of the CIO, that of hitting the numbers, is not communicated. Since his bonus depends on it, they will hit the numbers and since he doesn't have the experience he is doing it by cutting employees

Advice to Management

Just swap them out (again) they are not really worth saving. They don't have a long term plan or roadmap. They want their bonus. which is tied to expense ratios, so they will cut until they think they can get it.

2nd Go Around . . . HORRIBLE . . . Is not strong enough word

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative II in Cookeville, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for SunTrust for more than four years. The first time I worked for them I worked for three years and returned and worked for them for a little more than a year. BIG MISTAKE! I worked in the call center and the environment is TOXIC at best. The managers are overworked and mostly not a good fit for their positions. I have worked better than 10 years for another bank. I can tell you in comparison that SunTrust doesn't treat their employees well. I was having a major surgery and was advised to be off work prior to surgery but I didn't want to take the time off. I even committed to working many hours of overtime to help with the work load. As a matter of fact I worked 17 straight days with no time off leading up to surgery. Four days before my surgery I had 45 minutes left in my shift, I was extremely sick all day and felt I had went as far as I could. I went to my manager to let her know I was leaving early for that day and why but she actually guilted me into staying the rest of the shift. I was miserable. During that last 45 minutes I had a monitored phone call that I got a considered 'failed' which never happened to me before. The failure was because I my tone wasn't 'cheery' enough and I placed a customer on hold for too long. The long pause was due to my health at the time. Such a shame. I am a grown woman who never missed work, I was never late and I made my quotas but SunTrust thought their agenda of course was more important than my health.

Cons

I paid for Long-Term disability out of my pocket, I provided three medical opinions saying I was unable to work following the surgery yet my claim was denied and benefits were stopped. SunTrust uses a questionable 3rd party administrator whose job is to save SunTrust money, their name is Sedgwick. Whatever you do, I'd avoid working for any company that used Sedgwick for administration of claims. Then, SunTrust ignores you and puts you out to pasture once they let Sedgwick do the dirty work for them. Why offer a benefit that you are going to do your best to wiggle out of? It is absolutely disgusting. Do a search on the web using Sedgwick and lawsuits and you will see what I mean.

Advice to Management

I realize that tardiness and absenteeism is an issue especially in a call center, but how about knowing your workers well enough to know who is a problem and who isn't?. I am a grown woman and I have worked successfully for over 30 years. I returned to SunTrust from another bank who capitalized on my talents. I was a manager and won literally thousands of dollars in cash and prizes working for them. Furthermore, don't put a benefit on the table if you don't want to honor it. The sick pay is on you guys but Long Term came out of my pocket and YOU AND SEDGWICK took my home and vehicles from me after me working all my life to survive. I have never been treated so poorly by a company as I was the 2nd time I came to work for you guys. As far as advancements, there isn't any. There managers are fired as fast as they are hired.

10. Migration specialist

Former Contractor - Migration Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Migration Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment, great location, secured

Cons

Short term, no parking, paid,lack supervision

Advice to Management

Show contractors more respect

Be ready for layoff's

Current Employee - Team Lead in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Benefits are really good

Cons

They have a reputation for layoff's frequently. You never feel secure