SunTrust Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
976 reviews filtered by

1. Has a bright future, but needs to get enough support for employees

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Has great incentives...Realistic goals, and a blueprint to be able to "win"

Cons

Has a lot of unnesscary reports that are needed everyday

Keep us positive

A Good Regional Bank with Challenges for Promotion and Strong Emphasis on Expense Controls

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

The benefits are probably the best with comparable regional banks. The Teammates as they refer to employees are a pleasure to work with and I consider many as my friends.

Cons

The Bank tends to make it challenging to get promoted in your department as many managers prefer a good employee to remain at their job function as more important than given the opportunity to gain new skills and move up within a department. Most senior level management stay in their positions for a long period of time which does not promote career growth. Strong expense controls is a primary factor at the Bank which results in never enough teammates. They tend to prefer teammates to work long hours and weekends than hiring more people.

Please invest in your teammates and career growth regardless of location so employees don't have to relocate to Atlanta for senior level positions. Lighten the expense controls and hire more people within departments so employees aren't stressed by working long hours and weekends. One person should not be responsible of doing the same job as five people. The Bank should transcend a strong sense of vision throughout the Organization.

Company has great overall vision, but poor employee skills

Former Employee - Online Banking Specialist in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - Online Banking Specialist in Cookeville, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The office culture of the call center is pleasant, people are pretty nice to each other. Promotions are yearly and at bare minimum to keep employees pacified. If you can upsell, you can get a considerable amount of commission. Company offers vacation and paid volunteering days. Community involvement and charity work are encouraged. Completing a degree program is encouraged and compensated, if it is a degree in a field of work you can use in the company. Paid training time is generous, or it was while I was there. 401k plan, IRAs, HRAs, health and wellness bonuses, and many other financial planning and saving options are all offered. Employees get access to premium banking accounts and are forgiven one fee a month.

Cons

A black cloud hangs over employees to meet complicated goals set by management. Up selling goals for being paid a monthly commission push employees to sell things to customers that the customer does not need. Everyone worries about their positions, because the company is outsourcing so much work internationally now. Team managers have and abuse too much power, and do not have to answer for their actions. Personal growth in the call center is slow, promotions are rare and usually only because a need develops due to someone else quitting, not because of actually earning it. Although there is a nice, quiet place to eat, limited lunch options are available through vending machines. The call center is located about 5-10 from town, so rushing to go buy lunch on a 30 minute lunch break can be tricky.

It would not hurt to get to know your employees a little better. Some management is good, but you can tell the good ones are over worked, and almost seem disinterested in the bottom level employees. Other management act like they only show up to work for a check and do the bare minimum interacting with their inferiors to get the job done. Its easy to forget that you are part of a team when you do not participate in it. Then higher management gets upset when goals are not met. It is not always just the workers to blame, you should not put so much faith in your team managers' words.

5. Wonderful company to work for.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Asheville, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is kind, caring, and fun. Goals are attainable. Great training program. Good hours. Laid back environment. Encouraging and positive atmosphere.

Cons

There are almost no requirements for the lower level positions. Therefor the people they hire can be uneducated, unprofessional, and difficult to work with.

Keep up the good work!

The company as a whole cares very little for its employees and their career advancement.

Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Teller Coordinator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The hours are nearly unbeatable. The benefits are average (though vacation time is below average for the industry).

Cons

Upper management seems to care very little about the employees. The systems used are outdated and slow. The products and services offered are nothing special. Positions and responsibilities are misleading.

This company is solid and stable to work for

Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You truly get a opportunity to meet amazing people who values your help and guidance.

Cons

The retail side of Suntrust I adopting more of the Bigger bank mentalities in terms of sales sales sales mindset

Focus more on quality vs quantity of service

Status quo. Do as instructed. Don't expect much.

Former Employee - Client Manager
    Former Employee - Client Manager

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

Strong commitment to clients. Good work and life balance. Independent work encouraged with little micro management. May develop good friends.

Cons

Atlanta makes the decisions for all markets without knowledge affecting clients. Initiatives change direction often without clarity of who is in charge or if one hand is talking to the other. Little advancement and same with compensation regardless of performance. Unrealistic goals mandated without any basis on market. Networking is critical to continued employment: staying under the radar is certain death.

Decisions need to be more market based. Incorporate feedback from client facing and operations staff. If authority is questioned, there's probably a valid reason: listen, don't punish.

Performance reviews, IT projects, and corporate culture

Former Employee - EIS Applications Developer in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - EIS Applications Developer in Richmond, VA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you have a good manager. Pay is very good. There are MANY excellent people there.

Cons

SunTrust rates you on a scale of 1 to 5 in your performance review (5 being the best). I was told by one manager that he/she was not allowed to give me a 4 or 5 even though my performance rated such an evaluation due to the fact that SunTrust allows only a certain number of 4's and 5's, and requires a certain number of 2's. So if everyone in your area is doing a fabulous job, somebody is going to get a low rating anyway and very few will get above a 3 (acceptable). No surprise that this does not boost employee morale. I doubt this is widely known among most employees. I have never heard this from HR. But it would explain some evaluations I have received in years where I have done an exceptional job.

There are too many IT projects with such aggressive timelines that many projects are simply scheduled to fail. More than 1 manager assumes when these aggressive dates are in danger, it is time for staff to work nights and/or weekends.

Strong emphasis on the efficiency ratio tends to drive up the working hours and stress.

SunTrust has a corporate wide employee opinion survey in which employees rate many parts of their job, their managers, and the company. I have heard that managers in multiple areas tell their teams to give them high ratings. (I myself have heard the implied "or else".) In my opinion, that survey is a joke. Too many managers only deal with low ratings by telling their employees to give higher ratings, or it is the employees' fault for not doing a better job improving their managers. SunTrust is wasting money paying some company to do this employee opinion survey that has no validity.

Like most companies, SunTrust has stopped the pension and keeps cutting back on health insurance. When SunTrust dropped the pension, the company did increase the 401K contribution.

While SunTrust keeps saying how much the company cares about employees, the corporate actions have convinced me that senior management really cares about their bonuses and the stock price.

Reconsider how performance evaluations are done. Performance evaluations should be based on actual performance.

Set realistic project dates.

Ditch the corporate employee opinion survey OR make ALL the managers and ALL the senior executives read, or reread, the book, "First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently" to learn the real purpose of the survey.

10. Needs Technical Leadership

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

Close knit teams. Technical teams drive towards producing well thought out and designed solutions to line of business needs.

Cons

Senior technical leadership is from a technical background. This causes mixed priorities in the technical direction of the project delivery teams.

Listen to your subordinates and value their opinion.

11. Solid company

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

SunTrust is a good company.

Cons

SunTrust provides very poor training.

Turnover is very expensive. Please train your employees better. You will retain employees and not incur the costs of new employee training.