SunTrust Reviews

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.8

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Good benefits regarding health insurance and 401K with company match (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 43 reviews)

• Everybody from the branch manager down to the tellers are stressed which creates a negative atmosphere (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience. Sorry I left.

I worked at SunTrust

Pros

Great company. Excellent benefits.

Cons

None, great place to work.

Working here exposes you to rewarding and complex work but the environment is conservative.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust as an intern

Pros

1. Banks offer rewarding challenging work
    2. When you leave, you will feel like you could conquer the world
    3. People hand you important responsibilities early on, so you get a diverse amount of exposure.

Cons

1. There are hardly any young people in the legal department so it seems like they are out of touch with the legal market.
    2. The company tends to favor hiring people with significant experience.

1. The bank should focus on hiring and developing the next generation instead of merely hiring experienced attorneys.

Great Advancement Opportunities, but the retail side is tough.

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

I like the Company's purpose. Client focus.

Cons

Overwhelming amount of tasks. Too many changes are creating too many things to do and people feel overwhelmed.

My career was rewarding at SunTrust.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Nashville, TN

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits were excellent. There were many opportunities to make extra cash or increase your pay. The coaching was invaluable.

Cons

There was not always a good work/life balance working in a call center. The schedules were not the best.

Create better work schedules. Continue being supportive.

Awful place to work. Antiquated systems and products.

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employees were nice to work with despite the overall negativity of the office.

Cons

The management was out of touch with the marketplace.

Quit wasting employees time with needless meeting and reports which detract from getting new business.

Numbers, numbers, numbers, over employees or customers. Don't take a job here, friend.

Current Employee - Branch Manager IV in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Branch Manager IV in Tampa, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

After several minutes of intense thinking, I cannot think of a single pro for this bank.
    (This in the retail bank) Very few pros anymore. Once the bank cared about and wanted its employees to succeed. Once, the pay was fair and the goals were challenging, but reasonable. Senior Management's credo used to be "If we put something new on your plate, we will take something else off it."

Those days are gone.
    Now, the culture is very sales driven, and operates on a wishy-washy wannabe Bank of America model. Employees are under constant stress and are fearful for their jobs.

Cons

Near-impossible sales goals are compounded by arbitrary "points" system that sets very high monthly/quarterly goals, but each individual sale earns very small points. Management wants big volume of high-dollar, high-net worth customers that do not grow on trees.
    In addition, bonus compensation for personal bankers & branch managers is controlled by the Area Manager, who decides how much each person receives. For example, if a sales person earns a $1000 bonus, $700 of that - 70%! - goes into a pool that the AM can divide up however they choose. This system encourages favoritism and brown-nosers.
    Advancement is scarce, once a person reaches a "senior" personal banker level, there are few opportunities to move into management. Once a branch manager, you will stay a branch manager. There is zero movement to senior management at all. Senior managers (area manager level and higher) are ALWAYS recruited from other banks. Branches are run on skeleton crews as a matter of policy. Endless, pointless meetings and conference calls will eat at your soul. Every interaction between employees is dictated by a form that must be filled out, and discussed to death.
    Benefits are junk. Over-priced medical with poor coverage. 401k matching is laughable. Pay is lowest among is competitors. Typical branch manager (in my part of the world) will earn $45-$55k, while competitor banks offer $65-$75k and up for the same job.

Get rid of the nonsense points system. Stop tying to be Bank of America, go back to treating your people and customers like people, not money making drones.

A good environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many career choice to choose from once inside the organization. Can become content in a department.

Cons

Sometime maybe hard to move within the company to other departments.

Each manager may be different from the previous manager. Depends on the individual and management style.

Take advantage of time there, but do move on!

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for learning wide variety of banking / financial industry knowledge. Multiple departments and business lines to pick from, both customer facing and behind the scene technical.

Cons

Good-ole-boy-gal management stifles productive change. Slow to adopt industry standard technology and governance.

Raise up everyone's skill and salary, not just the vp's and ceo's.

Great Until........

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I learned alot and was allowed to grow as fast as I could. The leadership was great until the brought in the new leadership. The people I worked with were wonderful and who could complain about working downtown.

Cons

Our entire dept was outsourced. Measly salary increases.

Consider what made you a great company.. The fact you never followed trends, you were a trend setter and showed you employees how much you cared.. Now. Youve become just another mediocre sub par company.

Csm

Former Employee - CSM in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - CSM in Tampa, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing nice to say about suntrust! The goals are way to hard to reach. All they care about is sells, sells, sells,

Cons

Fake area managers, out of this world goals. Every three months goals go higher. You can not have a family life.

Get a clue