SunTrust Reviews

1,101 Employee Reviews

Great company!

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Savannah, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the benefits that this company provided. The people that I worked with were wonderful.

Cons

If you start out new with this company, you can expect a very low wage compared to other companies. Really, my only complaint with that is that yearly (even maximum) raises don't ever get you where you need to be. My manager actually told me to quit, work somewhere else for a year, then come back and negotiate a higher salary. It's just that difficult to move up (not title wise, but salary wise)

2. Great company, little food

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

Great people to work with and around

Cons

Food court = bleh a.k.a not that great

Advice to Management

Keep being nice

Culture Needs to Change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility to work remotely whic promotes good work/life balance. They promote wellness amongst employees Paid time off to volunteer

Cons

Benefits too expensive Promotions are slow Salary not competitive Favoritism

Advice to Management

It's not really a raise if you also raise the cost of benefits. What you pay annually isn't what you bring home after benefits. You might want to factor in the cost.

5. In-Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Branch Manager in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Store Branch Manager in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at SunTrust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good benefits, great team to work with.

Cons

Hiring process works so slow, outdated systems, needs better communication.

Fraud & Dispute Specialist

Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is great (i started at $14.50 in 2010). Benefits are GREAT! Employee discounts aren't bad either!

Cons

Management doesn't recognize your potential or hard work. It pays alot of money because you have to deal with ALOT of garbage. This is a good job for someone in junior college, definitely not a career.

Customer Care

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, diverse work environment, cafe in building.

Cons

Quotas, managers with little leadership skills, high turnover

Advice to Management

Train and/or select better managers. Be more understanding with employees. Employees should not be seen as specks that fill desks.

Run!!!

Current Employee - Teller III in Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Teller III in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A check, a check, a check, a check, a check, and that's it. And sometimes they even mess that one up as well!

Cons

So many cons, where do I start?! The staffing is ridiculous- there isn't any. People don't get lunches sometimes- that's wrong. Most managers don't seem to care if that happens. Old technology with high sales expectation got customers looking at you like "uuuuuu duh" when our programs freeze in front of them. Online banking going down all the time. The company has no direction and no technology, especially in the South Florida Region. I heard up in the mid-Atlantic states they have better technology. Nobody knows what they're doing, people are running this bank like a shheiiiitt show! I've never seen a bank ran as half assed as this one is ran! They're trying to be like Wells Fargo and keeps hiring those managers to try and pressure cook the tellers for sales goal, yet no real compensation for it until unrealistic sales goals are met! Oh and I forget, STOP THE EXCESSIVE LAYOFFS and Outsourcing nearly all positions! If I was applying from outside the bank, I would tell you to run! Clients always seemed shocked about the lack of software/technology that or competitors offer to make it convienient to bank online/in-person/mobile banking. They're shocked that we don't have a system that doesn't require them to fill out a deposit ticket/withdrawal ticket if they come inside, like or competitors have

Advice to Management

Invest in staffing, across the board training, better technology, and set realistic referral expectations of tellers. Instead of raising them every year! Also, pick a strategy and stick with it! Oh and your HR department suck!

Premier banker, Southeast U.S.

Current Employee - Premier Banker in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Premier Banker in Vienna, VA

I have been working at SunTrust (More than a year)

Pros

competitive pay, opportunity for meaningful bonus.

Cons

middle to upper-middle management of the branch network has now been filled heavily with former Wells Fargo management. And with that, the Wells Fargo hard-core sales business model. widget counting disguised as something else. The goals are not adjusted for regional/local demographics. They don't care about the employee. actions speak louder than words.

Would not recommend

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Suwanee, GA

I worked at SunTrust part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary with little experience

Cons

Everything else. The management was awful...turnover was even worse.

Advice to Management

Advice to ALL banks...do not make your staff's promotions based on credit cards during a terrible time in our economy.

Good Company But Highly Sales Driven

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Sarasota, FL

I worked at SunTrust (Less than a year)

Pros

Suntrust was flexible with my schedule and they worked with me while I studied full time for my bachelors degree. I had a truly wonderful supervisor who took good care of her employees.

Cons

I left the bank industry because the sales intuitive for tellers opening accounts and credit cards had high expectations. Tellers and personal bankers had a lot of unnecessary pressure put on us on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees and they will be loyal. My supervisor was supportive yet firm and had high expectations for us. Companies that value their employees grow strong and loyal teams to work for them.

Showing 1,101 of 1,117 reviews