SunTrust Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1,143 Employee Reviews

Absolutely the worst place to work

I worked at SunTrust part-time

Pros

I loved the work. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

VERY strict on attendance in the STOLI call center. Will not work with you on problems that may arise that will cause you to miss work. Will not advance you. You're stuck in a position forever.

Advice to Management

Lay off a little bit. Your attendance policy should not be as strict as it is.

2. A joke of a company

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros to the company is that the job was easy. I worked as a teller for a couple of months and after the first week had no problem working the systems. You get to know the customers very fast and it was easy to get your numbers for referrals on a day to day basis.

Cons

Well lets start from the beginning. Upon my first day of work my CSM had no clue I was even supposed to show up. My hire date was moved three times due to issues in the company that I still have no clue why. After that, the PB at the branch opened up an employee savings and checking ALONG with my checking and savings under her name. Not only did all my accounts go into her name, but my online banking, solid theft protection, and anything else related to my account also got moved into her name. I would be a little understanding if she was a new employee, but she had worked as a PB for over 3 years and from what I was told, that wasn't her first time doing that.

Advice to Management

Get on your job and teach your employees how to do the job correct. Its sad to see that a large company can have such issues with the basics, I can only imagine the internal issues that we at a branch level don't see.

Less than pitiful.... Stay away - the worse company to work for

Current Employee - First Line Supervisor - IT in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - First Line Supervisor - IT in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, telecommuting , nice offices, great coworkers, federal holidays.

Cons

Politics, ego, hidden agendas, favoritism, ridicule, verbal abuse from the part of management makes the life of an employee a living hell. Micromanagement, poor management, high stress, no work-personal life balance, unrealistic expectations, high turn over, clueless senior management, , no respect for employees, voice of the team mate ( more like no voice ) a joke - they keep ramming it down employees throats every year hoping to wear the employee down and get the answers they want. Too much outsourcing, excessive reduction in force - they way of firing employees and avoid the legal consequences - makes employees constantly fearful of losing their jobs. Career opportunities are plenty but the process to seek these opportunities allows management misuse and retaliation - employees prefer to look outside the company.

Advice to Management

Learn about tone at the top, learn that your employees are human, Lerner that respect and loyalty doesn't come w a title - you have to earn that, learn that loyalty goes both ways, learn to respect your employees

The Sun is setting and the Trust is gone

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

SunTrust was a great place to work and then the new CEO came in.

Cons

Cutting every expense like travel, training, bonuses, paper, supplies, coffee, benefits, ... (for non executives), selling a lot of assets to cover bad debt, off shoring nearly all of IT, outsourcing almost everything else, and to bring in a new CIO from India who is pushing with vigor the off shoring agenda (to guess where.. India). It is obvious to nearly everyone that the direction SunTrust is headed is to be sold. Therefore, expect continuous cuts, layoffs, outsourcing and off shoring. This is however a sound business decision. This will cause the stock prices to raise significantly before the company is Sold so that the Board of Directors, "C" suite officers, and other major investors get a significant parting bonus. It is not so good for those thousands of folks here in the US who put in 40+ per week to make everything work.....

Advice to Management

Would be like trying to change the course of the Mississippi River by talking to it. Therefore I decline.

Look within and share the wealth

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full line of benefits, many tenured teammates, many good coworkers to work with, relationship building with clients

Cons

Out of touch executive and senior management spending too much time micromanaging....too many chiefs....on the retail side you might have a branch manager coaching a teller while being coached by a Area Manager who at the same time is being coached by the Region Executive who at the same time is being coached by the Geographic Exec and if your really lucky they will also have an HR consultant with them all. CRAZY You have to know somebody or kiss up to survive.

Advice to Management

How about all the above mentioned stay out of the branches and let us do our job..... Also...CEO how about you take some of that $9,2 salary and reinvest in some of the good people vs continuing to lay them off. TOOOOOO many senior management levels taking down big salaries vs staffing to support clients.

Run,RUN in the other direction

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at SunTrust full-time

Pros

Decent starting salary, good training and clear message from upper management

Cons

I was a branch manager in Orlando market and it was the worst bank management experience of my career of 15 years as a bank manager. They had almost 100 percent turnover in last year and each manager had individual sales goals that pitted them against the staff as we had to fight for customers in lobby. No team concept. No recognition of rest of staff. They say they are focused on customers and that is true. However, there focus is not a team concept, the incentive plan was pitiful and upper management bullies anyone that is not producing daily or hourly. Horrific. Most managers worked open to close..745 to 615 or later..every day..plus Saturdays..Run..run.. the other way.

Advice to Management

sell the company

Not the same company.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Having a job, the great staff ( other than management)

Cons

Managers need training. Not just on technology but managing the staff. The annual raise is 1.5%. 5 sick days out of the whole year is ridiculous. Heaven forbid you get the flu and strep throat in the same year. People come to work sick. Outsourcing work isn't working because it costs more in time and money to fix. No one is willing to listen to new ideas this is why the bank is still behind the larger banks. Many employees are dissatisfied. Managers who have been at Suntrust a long time are too concerned about keeping their jobs and pointing fingers instead of doing valuable work. Many no longer have the skills to understand how things work and don't care to know. Suntrust was a great place to work previously. I understand when a company needs to cut back however great people are walking out if the door because the stress is too great for the lack of value placed on the employee.

Advice to Management

Review your management. Especially the ones who have been there a long time. It will be cheaper to offer packages than to let the dead weight hang around. Interview your Investment operations department on the condition of anonymity. You'll find a whole lot of issues. Do what you do best. You cannot follow a model designed for a bank twice or triple your size. Yes, take some ideas but not the whole model. You will need to spend a little money to be competitive. Not a whole lot just more than you are currently.

Treading water....

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are a large employer. They are a bank. Nothing else good comes to mind.

Cons

Expect to have to reapply for your own job at some point, which I feel is a cheap trick to cull employees. Have seen/heard stories of employees being laid off during phone calls and while on vacation --- every 6 months or so there is another round of layoffs. Have to constantly watch your back. There is no job security at ST.

Advice to Management

When asked to lay off workers, better get your own house (and resume) in working order. After you are done doing their dirty work, you head goes up on the block. Good luck.

10. Branch manager

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Upper management is disconnected from reality. Terminations are a daily activity.

Advice to Management

Get back into the field and recognize the expectations.

vice President Commercial Loan officer

Former Employee - Vice President in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Vice President in Charlotte, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Had a good name in the marketplace

Cons

The name and reputation of the company is being destroyed by bad management

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves

Showing 1,143 of 1,159 reviews