SunTrust

SunTrust Reviews

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.7

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Good benefits regarding health insurance and 401K with company match (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 44 reviews)

• Everybody from the branch manager down to the tellers are stressed which creates a negative atmosphere (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Personal Banker

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

Great opportunity for quick promotions

Cons

High sales pressure and robotic teaching when it comes to customer service

Find another place to work

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

401k match, vacation time, my current manager

Cons

Micromanagement to the EXTREME. As a branch manager I receive a meeting to hold with my team and every morning huddle, I don't get to choose for my own team. On a daily basis must update 4 reports, on average 4 conference calls/ live meetings a week. Everything you do is tracked and dictated from your regional management. Every single day you are given your "focus" for the day. Behind on core products? You get to update your manager 4 times a day. Are you behind on credit cards... To bad today is business merchant service focus. The insurance has gotten worse every year, out computers are usually down a couple times a week( along with the client online banking). Our partners are too focused on their goals to help. It is a terrible place to work. Keep in mind I have been with the company for a decade and consistently in the top 10% of my peers.

Invest in your technology, hire the right people so you don't have to manage everything for them.

Only care about the SALES!

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Greenville, SC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation package, decent salary, good 401K choices, good training program

Cons

Extremely sales driven, the Consulatative Client Conversation Guide is horrible, forces clients to sit and endure questions and info that they are not interested in, when they tell you they arent interested then you are to "Corral" them to find out why they are not interested , followed by giving them more info on why the are wrong and should be interested in whatever product/service you are selling. Basically badgering the client to take the product/ service and if they still refuse then call them back 2 days later to hound them again, if she a no call back in 3 weeks, if still a no call back in 60 days. Make sure the CCG is filled out and filed correctly, make sure you update the Opportunity log with this info and save it, then report all numbers at the end of the day on the share drive. Didnt get enough points for the day, then obviously you didnt badger enough clients! Oh and now theres Lobby Leadership! GEt out in the Lobby welcome clients then FORCE them into an office with a personal banker who then badgers them into some product/service they DONT want or need. If the client tries to get around you, then FOLLOW them to the kiosk or teller line and continue talking to them until you can get them into an office. UGHHHHHHHH I am sick to death of this! Goals are out of reach and unattainable. Staff is stressed to the max. No matter how much you do it is never good enough! Weekly call nights until 7 pm is crazy. This takes away from family time and honestly all we are doing is aggrivating our clients. They dont like to be called after a long day at work when they just got home and are trying to have family time. These calls are a waste of time and energy!

Do away with call nights-they are a complete waste of time, Get back to the basics of client service, stop hounding clients, stop trying to force products and services on them.

Review

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably in middle tier as far as base salary is concerned among most banks.

Cons

In general this is not a company that is good to their employees. Average benefits and incentives.

Stop treating everyone as a number and replaceable.

Lots of continual organizational changes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and incentive compensation if at the right level - based on individual performance so you get rewarded if you work hard and succeed
    Can work with really good and dedicated people if in the right area

Cons

Tons of ongoing organizational changes with no end in sight
    Often hard to succeed due to politics and roadblocks put up
    Way too many organizational politics and back stabbing
    Lack of clear and actionable organizational strategy - lots of talk but not much success
    Customer technology is mostly from 20 years ago so makes everyone's job harder; employee tools are decent

Break down the silos, invest in technology, really listen to employees instead of paying lip service

Just ok

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Washington, DC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best training programs I have experienced banking. Their rigorous training courses will have all employees prepped and prepared for the next level, which is the branch.

Cons

Interactions with customers are somewhat robotic. Had to make use of an "RBT Tool" which caused for strained customer interaction.

The worst professional job I have ever had.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Durham, NC

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than an year)

Pros

paid time off during the first year and some cut rate health insurance.

Cons

Its all about sales and not people this including employees or customers of SunTrust. During orientation they talked about doing what is best for our customers but when you got in the branch they literally tell you that I don't care how you make the numbers just do it. So in turn I have seen a investment banker sell a 15 year annuity to a 87 year old lady. Setting up savings accounts for people who can not even keep a few dollars in there checking. Also working 6 days a week for 40 hours 3 out of 4 weeks a month. And always adding duties to my job description and not once receiving a raise.

ETI fulltime technical

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work remote. Some Mid-level management very laid back. 401k match. Can get away with just doing nothing for weeks at a time. Check is on-time.

Cons

Out of touch senior management. Many workers are not held accountable for sloppy work results. Many skilled resources have left as the EIS Org has been going downhill due to offshoring and lack of faith in senior Mgt. Bottom line first before people. Poor teaming across board for large company.

Offshoring has diluted the talent. Too many of us are doing development, etc. when we are just administrators and vice versa. Offshore talent is severly lacking and many projects implemented are just put together to work for today. Stop the offshoring, get rid of Indian CIO before it is too late. Actually already too late.

SunTrust was a great place to work.

I have been working at SunTrust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you don't mind poor pay. SunTrust is hiring.

Cons

Major outsourcing of Jobs to India and Philippines. Each department has production goals that are impacted if you take an extra break or go to the bathroom more than once a day.

Great at first! They have essentially ran off every Branch Manager in the Columbus Market. VERY DEMANDING MGT! I had a history as a top performer. ASK ABOUT tenure of the existing branch Mgrs in COLUMBUS.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Regional Bank
    Good reputation in the community. Great clients!
    Has been in the Columbus Market for 100+ years.
    Good historical presence .

Cons

Not the bank they use to be!!!
    Get ready for "how many products can you PUSH on people today?!!"
    They recently reduced staff and expect top tier Client service scores.

Add some staff to the branches to free up the Sales people to Sell! Don't be surprised with negative client service scores wen staffing is cut by 30-50%.

SunTrust Photos