SunTrust Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.8

SunTrust President and CEO William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.
William H. (Bill) Rogers Jr.

Pros
  • Great Company to work for, understand the importance of work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good benefits and working with retail branch employees was nice (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management had a old south mentality not many other races in management (in 40 reviews)

• The job as a Branch Manager did not allow for work life balance (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Unappreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Suntrust the pay is favorable and has the potential to be a great company with the correct leadership. The benefits are fantastic and also needed to cope with the stress.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch. Incentive plan is designed to prevent associates from achieving. Associates not receiving guidance for career development. Call nights every week get old and wears down teammates.

ST has potential to do great things. Currently, the leadership is out of touch and lacks leadership to inspire success. Associates do not have a voice and would be retaliated against if they spoke up.

Hostile environment for retail employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Hours, benefits and paid holidays.

Cons

1. Constant shortage/turnover of branch employees 2. Poor employee support infrastructure 3. Management prioritizes sales before clients best interest. 4. Employees are often kept out of the loop regarding corporate, product and policy or implementation change. 5. Employee responsibilities, sales goals, hours and roles constantly increase without salary compensation or regard to staff shortage.

Managements should not withhold employees quarterly bonuses; If the branch is short on employees managers should know how to run a teller window to alleviate long lines; Managers should lead by example and place the client above their own self-interests.

Worst place I've ever worked

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

Where to start? Poor leadership, no direction, initiatives change every three months, doESN't live up to promises made IN WRITING, demands perfect customer service without giving employees the proper tools or discretion to give good service, expects you to act like a robot, sets impossibly high goals, doesn't staff branches properly to achieve sales goals or satisfaction targets.

Shut it down

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company culture is highly dependent on the department.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convenient location downtown
    Bank holidays
    Opportunity to learn financial technology

Cons

Shark eat shark - not a friendly place in some departments.
    Some managers treat their employees with disdain, almost as if they are unwanted children instead of valued employees/co-workers.

Show that you value your employees, instead of treating them like misbehaving school children.

Lack of growth

Current Employee - Portfolio Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Portfolio Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, convenient work location, the staff is okay and the company is located in different cities within Georgia.

Cons

The processes for getting work done are long, cumbersome and most times unnecessary. Too many administrative hoops just to get any work done. Lack of growth potential. This company typically does not promote from within.

Improve the process for promoting internal employees.

Gain good experience, but it'll end like that. SunTrust needs to go back to how they use to run things.

Current Employee - Teller III  in  Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Teller III in Port Richey, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll learn ALOT! If you get a great manager, you'll really succeed. My former manager really was willing to help me get to the top with operations and sales. If your TC is nice, you'll have a flexible schedule. Great benefits such as vacation, insurance, tuition assistance, and 401k. If you reach all your sale goals, you'll have stability.

Cons

The pay is ridiculous! I've been here 5 years and my raises are a joke. No matter how many times I was on top of leaderboard I wasn't getting anywhere close to market average. It seems as the new teammates were getting paid more than someone who's been here longer. It's who you know to get ahead with promotions to better positions. If you're someone with ambition and is not happy with staying in one position, run away! You'll gain experience but you won't make it far unless you are in good with your area's managers. Sales goals are ridiculous. Each sales goal should depend upon the branch and the market you're in. There is no way to be able to make 40 referrals a month if you only see maybe 10 clients a day. These are the same clients that are being seen every week. You've worked with these clients numerous times and they are not changing what they have with us. I feel as I am being set up for failure. SunTrust does not care if you've been here foerver. If you don't meet you're goals one quarter, you're getting written up. When I started there were so many people that had been working here for 15 years plus. My Teller Coordinator was with SunTrust for 30 years plus. I loved my branch. SunTrust was about service and it was a pleasure to work here. 2011 came around and thats when all the technology and sales goals started to rise. Service is still important but not as much as sales which is even more important. Now it's all about assumptive selling and the client isn't put first. They'll preach on client first but it doesn't feel that way to me. Because of this, many people that have been here so long are slowly retiring or finding other employment. SunTrust use to be different than many other banking institutions. They were prided on their fantastic customer service. Now we're joining the ranks as other commerical banks.

Please reevaluate each branch's market to make sale goals a little more attainable. Teammates will work better if they know they are not going to immediately fail. Consider promoting from within the company and really value your the employee's hard work. Take all situations into consideration. It shouldn't be a popularity content. Also hire management that is willing to help their teammates succeed. My TC likes to micromanage and discourages growth. Go back to that client first feel. Yes, you have new values and a new "flag" but by preaching it and following it is completely different.

Current part time teller

Current Employee - Teller III  in  Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Teller III in Memphis, TN

I have been working at SunTrust part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is above average. Benefits are excellant.

Cons

managers are indifferent to your needs. Care more about keeping their own jobs than helping you with yours.

Make your schedules and be more flexible with employee needs.

Ok place to work

Former Employee - Teller Lead
    Former Employee - Teller Lead

I worked at SunTrust full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits . Has done a good job navigating the challenges of the recession and economy.

Cons

All about sales. If you didn't meet goal they would write you up.

Need more room for advancement. More one on one with employees

A hot mess

Current Employee - Teller III  in  Coral Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Teller III in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at SunTrust full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice Co-workers and affordable benefits. That's it.

Cons

Extremely anemic staffing and it seems like this will not change. Outsourcing payment programs, that is always a headache to use. Old software that is time consuming and new software that is always down. No staffing so clients keep getting upset about the wait time. They refuse to train people, unless it's online training. You do training online then you go to do it and you have no clue because in the training you are not given step by steps. You are now encouraged to seek help online versus calling for SunTrust help. No one knows what they're doing here. They're trying to become Wells Fargo but with no technology at the branch level. Each week something changes and they raised our goals, again.

Stick to your roots of a Southern Regional bank and put what the CLIENT wants first over the sales goals. You will push employees and clients out of this bank if you continue. Training classes need to be done so consistency between each branch and area are the same throughout. While I have an excellent, well experienced district manager, a lot of other people have no clue what to do and it amazes me how you can run a bank like this. I've worked at 2 prior banks over the years and this bank is ran on the fly it seems.

Great benefits and advancement opportunities but...

I have been working at SunTrust

Pros

Good Opportunities for advancement and relocation, good benefits package with the exception of PTO.

Cons

An in-depth review and modification of the products currently offered by the bank is crucial in making the bank competitive. The sales pressure is very high and it is difficult to meet goals with the accounts currently offered. Exempt employees are are expected to work 50+ hours/ week.

Worked for SunTrust? Contribute to the Community!