Sunbelt Rentals

www.sunbeltrentals.com

Sunbelt Rentals Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014
Sunbelt Rentals – US – “Truck Rodeo”

Sunbelt Rentals – US – “Truck Rodeo”

Sunbelt Rentals CEO Brendan Horgan

Brendan Horgan

Pros
  • Lot's of opportunity for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• I worked at another equipment company and had close dealings with all of the other major equipment rental companies (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Profit share has all but disappeared (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Sunbelt Rentals

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Ocean Springs, MS

ProsSteady work in an industry that will be stable for quite some time to come.

ConsLimited room for growth. Management seems to be a very tight knit group and often shows an unwillingness to accept new comers. Pay raises, if you choose to call them that, are few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer greater opportunities for employee growth within the organization. Don't try to force those out who don't wish to pursue the Outside Sales career path.

Use to be a great place to work! Not so much anymore.

Safety Manager (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the largest rental companies in North America, and when including the parent company in the UK Sunbelt is part of the largest rental organizations in the world. There is no lack of work and since MOST locations are in major markets seldom are there times when workers do not get at least some overtime. There are hundreds of locations around the USA so there are opportunities in most major cities.

ConsBecause Sunbelt is such a large organization, and because there is a serious lack of appreciation for their non-senior management employees, employees are often "just a number". Due to it's size and the "employer's market" they tend to underpay their employees.

The organization allows tyrannical upper managers to consistently over work their employees and make them work under conditions which are inconsistent and often makes personal success impossible. Complaints to HR and upper management about employees being mistreated by department-heads go completely ignored (to say "we are looking into this" and then do NOTHING about it is ignoring the issue).

Additionally, Sunbelt is still using the "the economy is still soft and uncertain" argument to underpay their employees. Most employees still have not had a raise since the economy crashed in 2008, despite the fact that Sunbelt has continued to see record profits year after year. Not to mention what they pay the CEO in relation to employees in middle management and below.

There is little to no life-balance, especially in the "specialty" divisions where employees are expected to "jump" whenever and always... no matter what!

As a [former] employee of over a decade, I personally witnessed Sunbelt change from a great place to work, to being a "sweat shop". Where Sunbelt use to be a company that recognized that every man and woman are out to build their own dreams, and they use to recognize that sometimes it's worth it to spend a little to make sure employees are happy. Now, employee moral is as low as ever and that doesn't seem to matter to upper management at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should consider to actually value their employees and be concerned for their work environment. Upper management should also consider that not everyone eats, drinks, breaths and lives to make money, and while that may be a positive trait for leaders, money isn't THE motivating factor for everyone. Some folks actually care about enjoying their work environment.

And upper management should especially consider that their employees should not work (and live) in an environment of "you are lucky to have a job... [read into that "so sit down, shut up... and do two people's worth of work and be happy about it!"]. As a former employee I literally had my direct manager tell me word for word "You know... after all, we are all luck to have jobs". And this was told to me during my annual review (where ALL my numbers were vastly improved vs previous year).

Sunbelt employees had great hope when Brendan Horgan became CEO because he came up through the ranks and would make Sunbelt a great place to work once again. Sadly his term as CEO has not resulted in any improvement for worker moral, and has continued the trend of Sunbelt being a "big company" where employees are just another asset that can be disposed of as easily as a piece of equipment.

Great Place to work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsFast pace, good leadership, good benefits. Allows you to achieve what you earn. PTO is great at this company.

ConsIT department needs upgrading. Raises can be lacking at time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep giving managers the equipment they ask for and need.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, unbalanced pay structure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat culture at most levels of business
    Perks of job are nice for certain jobs
    Most management is approachable
    Work life balance

ConsCompensation is extremely unbalanced, need to fight tooth and nail for raises.
    No room for advancement in support office
    Gossip was an issue in almost all areas

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management was great. CEO is one of the most approachable people I've ever met. No issues.

Your only as good as your last day.

Driver (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAll of the hours you can handle. More often than not. The ability to see that real world experience doesn't actually matter at sunbelt. That can be considered a "Pro" because most people need to see it to believe it, which means it can be labeled as a learning experience.

Cons12 hour days are expected. Someone else will tell you that you are able to work 14 hours. Falling asleep at the wheel or leaning against your tool box completely exhausted doesn't matter. Middle management will look at your lunch break as a time to discuss what's going on in the shop etc. Tomorrow or 27 minutes from now will not destroy the future of your particular location. Whether you have 20 minutes or 20 years in the company you're only as good as your last day.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe hourly paid employees know that "profit" keeps everyone employed. Don't let these dead - beat PCM'S ruin the overall morale of the entire location by putting "profit" above all else every minute of those 12 to 14 hours.

Good place to be if you like being busy

ProsNever bored. Always busy normally with last minute gotta have now stuff from customers as well as employees. Nature of our business.

ConsProfit share has all but disappeared. Goals are extremely hard to achieve. Sales commission plan keeps changing

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is making money and used to share with the employees thru profit share. Now the company is doing better than ever and the employees receive little to no profit share.

Not Just A Great Place to Work

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Florence, KY

ProsI am speaking of my experience at the Florence, KY location. Fellow workers all seemed dedicated, enthusiastic and customer oriented. Management was fair, truly interested in furthering your career with SBR and open to suggestions.

ConsTraining could be improved in certain departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe attitudes and core beliefs of management should start with top management and filter down to the lowest levels or the profit center. That is being exemplified at the Florence, KY Profit Center.

Fast paced and never boring

Field Mechanic (Current Employee) Channahon, IL

ProsThere is something different everyday. You may be fixing equipment one minute and then setting up a job the next minute. The people are all good to work with as we work together with other stores and stores in different states. There is plenty of overtime, almost too much. The division handles Power, Temperature, Pumps, Dehumidification, Compressed Air and everything that goes with it so it hardly ever gets boring. The pay is great if you're in one of the union shops, but no so bad in the non union shops if you know your craft, are willing to learn and most of all work. Even though Sunbelt is a big company, there still is a family atmosphere and the CEO and VP's are regular guys that you can have a beer with.

ConsEmployees are spread thin (The reason for all the overtime). Emergency jobs take you away from family often without notice. You're on call 24/7 and that gets old QUICK. In the busy season, it seems like the company fly's by the seat of their pants (disorganized chaos most of the time). Sales doesn't talk to service and the technician gets the pleasantries when on the jobsite when everything goes south.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people. Training on some of the equipment would be a big plus. Communication, communication, communication, there is none.

CSR

ProsGet oppertunity to interact with customers.

ConsIts a boys club not much growth for females.

Great company to work for

Mechanic (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsGreat work environment. Safety is a large part of the culture. Great team environment.

ConsHigh stress and fast paced. Llittle room for advancement due to slow turn over rate.

Worked for Sunbelt Rentals? Contribute to the Community!