Sunbelt Rentals Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.3

Sunbelt Rentals CEO Brendan Horgan
Brendan Horgan

Pros
  • Lot's of opportunity for advancement (in 3 reviews)

• I worked at another equipment company and had close dealings with all of the other major equipment rental companies (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement within the company (in 4 reviews)

• Profit share has all but disappeared (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent employer

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent safety culture. Always working with the knowledge that business is cyclical.

Cons

Geographic constraints and limited upward mobility after a certain point.

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals part-time for less than a year

Pros

opportunity to move up in the company if you work hard at it, a job can turn into a career if you arent worried about getting pay well. great management that want to see you move up in the company fast.

Cons

to many politics involved in promotion seeking and commisiion plans continue to change. The pay raises arent that much in the company. Kind of bad hours at some locations. Long shifts. time off policies are kind of hard.

It is a staedy job for those who dont like to be noticed, just fly under the radar and colect a paycheck.

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Current sales employees are treated excellent. Given a tremendous amount. from the company. Other positions are available but with minimum to no recognition or amenities. Steady paycheck.

Cons

To much buddy system promotions and advancements to under qualified personnel. Leadership is poor. No mentoring of any kind. Poor upper management convinced that sweeping under the rug is better then corrective action. Retirement is poor unless your upper management. The american middle class worker can not retire from this company comfortably.

"Building relationships with employees is just as important as building relationships with customers"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Use to be a great place to work! Not so much anymore.

Former Employee - Safety Manager
    Former Employee - Safety Manager

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

One of the largest rental companies in North America, and when including the parent company in the UK Sunbelt is part of the largest rental organizations in the world. There is no lack of work and since MOST locations are in major markets seldom are there times when workers do not get at least some overtime. There are hundreds of locations around the USA so there are opportunities in most major cities.

Cons

Because Sunbelt is such a large organization, and because there is a serious lack of appreciation for their non-senior management employees, employees are often "just a number". Due to it's size and the "employer's market" they tend to underpay their employees.

The organization allows tyrannical upper managers to consistently over work their employees and make them work under conditions which are inconsistent and often makes personal success impossible. Complaints to HR and upper management about employees being mistreated by department-heads go completely ignored (to say "we are looking into this" and then do NOTHING about it is ignoring the issue).

Additionally, Sunbelt is still using the "the economy is still soft and uncertain" argument to underpay their employees. Most employees still have not had a raise since the economy crashed in 2008, despite the fact that Sunbelt has continued to see record profits year after year. Not to mention what they pay the CEO in relation to employees in middle management and below.

There is little to no life-balance, especially in the "specialty" divisions where employees are expected to "jump" whenever and always... no matter what!

As a [former] employee of over a decade, I personally witnessed Sunbelt change from a great place to work, to being a "sweat shop". Where Sunbelt use to be a company that recognized that every man and woman are out to build their own dreams, and they use to recognize that sometimes it's worth it to spend a little to make sure employees are happy. Now, employee moral is as low as ever and that doesn't seem to matter to upper management at all.

Upper management should consider to actually value their employees and be concerned for their work environment. Upper management should also consider that not everyone eats, drinks, breaths and lives to make money, and while that may be a positive trait for leaders, money isn't THE motivating factor for everyone. Some folks actually care about enjoying their work environment.

And upper management should especially consider that their employees should not work (and live) in an environment of "you are lucky to have a job... [read into that "so sit down, shut up... and do two people's worth of work and be happy about it!"]. As a former employee I literally had my direct manager tell me word for word "You know... after all, we are all luck to have jobs". And this was told to me during my annual review (where ALL my numbers were vastly improved vs previous year).

Sunbelt employees had great hope when Brendan Horgan became CEO because he came up through the ranks and would make Sunbelt a great place to work once again. Sadly his term as CEO has not resulted in any improvement for worker moral, and has continued the trend of Sunbelt being a "big company" where employees are just another asset that can be disposed of as easily as a piece of equipment.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fast pace, good leadership, good benefits. Allows you to achieve what you earn. PTO is great at this company.

Cons

IT department needs upgrading. Raises can be lacking at time.

Keep giving managers the equipment they ask for and need.

Great company, unbalanced pay structure

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals

Pros

Great culture at most levels of business
    Perks of job are nice for certain jobs
    Most management is approachable
    Work life balance

Cons

Compensation is extremely unbalanced, need to fight tooth and nail for raises.
    No room for advancement in support office
    Gossip was an issue in almost all areas

Upper management was great. CEO is one of the most approachable people I've ever met. No issues.

Sunbelt Rentals

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Ocean Springs, MS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ocean Springs, MS

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals full-time

Pros

Steady work in an industry that will be stable for quite some time to come.

Cons

Limited room for growth. Management seems to be a very tight knit group and often shows an unwillingness to accept new comers. Pay raises, if you choose to call them that, are few and far between.

Offer greater opportunities for employee growth within the organization. Don't try to force those out who don't wish to pursue the Outside Sales career path.

Good place to be if you like being busy

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Never bored. Always busy normally with last minute gotta have now stuff from customers as well as employees. Nature of our business.

Cons

Profit share has all but disappeared. Goals are extremely hard to achieve. Sales commission plan keeps changing

The company is making money and used to share with the employees thru profit share. Now the company is doing better than ever and the employees receive little to no profit share.

Not Just A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Florence, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Florence, KY

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals part-time for less than a year

Pros

I am speaking of my experience at the Florence, KY location. Fellow workers all seemed dedicated, enthusiastic and customer oriented. Management was fair, truly interested in furthering your career with SBR and open to suggestions.

Cons

Training could be improved in certain departments.

The attitudes and core beliefs of management should start with top management and filter down to the lowest levels or the profit center. That is being exemplified at the Florence, KY Profit Center.

Fast paced and never boring

Current Employee - Field Mechanic  in  Channahon, IL
    Current Employee - Field Mechanic in Channahon, IL

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is something different everyday. You may be fixing equipment one minute and then setting up a job the next minute. The people are all good to work with as we work together with other stores and stores in different states. There is plenty of overtime, almost too much. The division handles Power, Temperature, Pumps, Dehumidification, Compressed Air and everything that goes with it so it hardly ever gets boring. The pay is great if you're in one of the union shops, but no so bad in the non union shops if you know your craft, are willing to learn and most of all work. Even though Sunbelt is a big company, there still is a family atmosphere and the CEO and VP's are regular guys that you can have a beer with.

Cons

Employees are spread thin (The reason for all the overtime). Emergency jobs take you away from family often without notice. You're on call 24/7 and that gets old QUICK. In the busy season, it seems like the company fly's by the seat of their pants (disorganized chaos most of the time). Sales doesn't talk to service and the technician gets the pleasantries when on the jobsite when everything goes south.

Hire more people. Training on some of the equipment would be a big plus. Communication, communication, communication, there is none.

Worked for Sunbelt Rentals? Contribute to the Community!