Sunbelt Rentals

Updated December 15, 2014
2.7

Sunbelt Rentals CEO Brendan Horgan
Brendan Horgan

Pros
  • Fast pace, good leadership, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Lot's of opportunity for advancement (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Profit share has all but disappeared (in 5 reviews)

• Poor upper management convinced that sweeping under the rug is better then corrective action (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Your only as good as your last day.

Current Employee - Mechanic in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Washington, DC

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's employment. It's steady employment. It's really difficult to find something else to say. Your fellow employees more often than not are alright.

Cons

Low level management doesn't have to much to offer. They are normally washed-up salesmen. No one needs to have any extensive amount of education to understand Sunbelt rentals. Just a lot of people that don't seem to have real respectable work ethics.

Stop Acting like Rock Stars. Your peddling junk. Your not supernatural.

It's just a paycheck until you can find a real career.

Current Employee - Mechanic in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals

Pros

Great co-workers. That's just about it.

Cons

Upper management pushing to far and sending equipment out that is not ready then blaming the mechanics. Just to make a rent. Then putting everybody on 40 hours and pushing for more. The only people that make money in this company are sales and upper management they could care less about anybody else.

Bring back profit share. It's bad when stores are breaking records and get nothing for it. Let people have OVERTIME and not COMPLAIN about it you are making millions. And this 10 seconds for safety thing that's the biggest joke. The managers and outside sales don't give a DANG about it. As long as they get there paycheck and bonuses they could care less about what happens to people.

Sunbelt was once a great place to work. Don't work here unless you are looking for a steady check between careers.

Current Employee - Counter Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Counter Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The men and women that you work with on a day to day basis. NOT upper management, but the people who actually make the business work. The work boots on the ground people. They are all good hard working people. That's the only thing that keeps you going is your relationship with your fellow workers. This is a cash heavy and extremely lucrative business. Don't expect the company to share any of the record profits with you though. They will tell you that you have an opportunity to earn profit share, but they have made so hard to achieve that it rarely happens. They will also tell you that they love to promote from within, but this is also not true anymore. I believed when I started working here that I would retire from this company, but now I can't see myself staying here unless attitudes towards employees change. Some much has changed for the worse over the last several years, that I don't even recognize this company any more.

Cons

The company has one value, make money for upper managemant and the overseas investors. You are expected to work 50+ hours a week for a 40 hour paycheck. It didn't used to be this way. You are routinely "reminded" by upper management that you are lucky to have a job. The Sunbelt catch phrase is "you are always interviewing for your job". Nice, isn't it? The career path at Sunbelt = the good old boys network. If you're planning on trying to advance and build a career with this company, you better hope district and VP level management likes you and that you can get into their good graces. If they don't, you'll never get a fair opportunity to advance. A college degree, experience and/or hard work won't get you anywhere with this company, unless your part of the cool kids. They don't care about you, they will tell you they do, but they don't. I've seen many well qualified men and women get passed over, because they didn't set at the right table during lunch.

There are a lot of companies that rent equipment. Sunbelts true advantage has always been its good people. The people who actually deal face to face with customers every day. It's NOT the middle and upper level managers. Good people have left and will continue to leave until you begin valuing them again. It's frustrating and demoralizing to have the company wave "record" profits in our face, offer us profit share, then make it damn near impossible to get it. This company has lost my trust and respect.

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

this is a place to work until you find a career driven company to settle into..

Cons

Get ready to be thrown into a fire as there is really No one on one training and then be ready to have to explain to management when things go wrong...if you want to be a driver your days are numbered from day one... Be cautious!!!

look into regional Management your issues start there.

The worst of the worst managers I've ever worked with!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Dispatcher in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Dispatcher in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lower level employees great to work with

Cons

Will not get paid for all hours worked! You will get after hour calls that have too take care of and when you get paid You will notice you didn't get all the hours you worked! If you work hard you won't go far UNLESS you are a old friend of management or a really good butt kisser! You will be passed up time after time to only find out a woman got your position that came from hooters and because the DM was getting sexual favors!

Advice to upper CEO FIRE THE WHOLE LOT OF MANAGERS AND START NEW!

Change

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mon thru Fri, use of equipment, good trucks to drive, OK benefits, good coworkers

Cons

Sometimes there is to much gossip, drama allowed. Accountability as well.

STAY AWAY FROM SUNBELT!

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Technology and training from various vendors was great. Felt very confident with every offering we provided.

Cons

People who work hard and do right by the company are constantly stepped over for promotions. People given these jobs are mostly friends of upper management, or people who have worked for, and been fired from the competition. Human Resources does not assist employees at all, but rather gets bullied by RVP's and pushes their agenda which most of the time is unethical and boarder line illegal. At company meetings, upper management tends to drink in excess, then belittles lower level personnel for not following suit. In a nutshell, if you're ok with stabbing one another in the back, getting intoxicated and humiliating yourself, and have the privilege to be a friend of corporate employee, you'll be successful. If your a hard worker who puts the team, and customer first, it's a dead end job.

Start over. The morale as unbelievably low, across the board. There are a lot of people who love the brand, and want to be successful that you overlook. Reassess the regional
    management teams and ask yourself if these are the best people to forge you into the future. I was a long time employee and resigned only to not have an exit interview, and had to fight with your human resources department and the alcoholic district manger to be paid for the wages I earned. Bad look.

Only work at Sunbelt out of desperation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clarksville, IN

I worked at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job, nothing more, nothing less. The only perk is you got to use. the equipment for personal use, but if upper management knew that, I am sure it would change.

Cons

The pay stucture is horrible, especially for the counter staff an Dispatchers who do the lion's share of the work with no recognition and no opportunity for advancement. If you like being screamed and cussed at and being called vulgar by a PCM (Branch Manager) for no reason and by someone who has absolutely no clue what is going on, then this may be the job for you! (and yes, I have the texts to prove it) Just make sure you do not count on the profit sharing bonuses that are promised to you, they will find a way to always get out of paying them. The working environment is far less than desireable.

Also good luck with the racoon infestation and fease that you will have to endure because the PCM refuses to do anything about it! We had raccoons running overhead on our ceiling tiles where they could fall through at anytime, and often did. Ceiling tiles above the breakroom table were missing due to raccoons falling from there. Yum Yum, who would want to be forced to eat under that (nothing like a little raccoon dung to spice up that sandwitch!). AND YES, I have the pictures to prove it!

Safety takes a back seat to everything, even though the company will tell you it does not! I could write a book on all the unsafe practices that the PCM let slide by, some of which are very illegal! But hey, don't worry, you will not have to deal with safety problems very long, because if you bring attention to the issues, you will no longer have a job!.

GROW UP!!!!! Stop spending all your time covering up your mistakes and personal issues. Focus on becoming strong leaders who value their hardworking employees. Back up what you tell your employees and stop being so 2-faced. Treat your employees like human beings, not like some sweat shop trash, and maybe, just maybe you would earn (and yes I said earn) some of your respect and dignity back!

having worked for several companys in the industry its standard

Current Employee - Service Technician
    Current Employee - Service Technician

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paid time off is decent and most of the benefits are good. The upper level management is not best I have dealt with when it comes to personnel.

Cons

It can be hard to advance if you don't fit in with the "typical" ideals of management.

Excellent employer

I have been working at Sunbelt Rentals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent safety culture. Always working with the knowledge that business is cyclical.

Cons

Geographic constraints and limited upward mobility after a certain point.

Sunbelt Rentals Photos