Suncoast Hospice

Updated Jun 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rafael Sciullo

Love and Compassion for our patients

ProsExcellent PTO, personal understanding from department head, treated with respect. The pay is fair and acceptable.

ConsHonestly, having a dependable computer network. Too much down time, too many emails stating the downtime. Don't waste time sending status emails about the network, just get us a fix and get us a better, dependable network. STOP the for sale email list. Too much time being focused on personal items instead of keeping focus on patients. Lets get down to business and leave the personal affairs for after work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to admit, there are a lot of meetings. Some staff get high anxiety when a management member has an emergency and needs to get them on the phone and to be told that they are in a meeting. My management team will return the phone calls asap though. Most staff complain about the pay but it makes me wonder why they took the job if pay is such a personal issue. Due to healthcare changes, through no fault of our own, Suncoast Hospice has been challenged with new changes. Most change decisions are a must to follow through in order to sustain an existence for our patients. Most staff do not like change but change is mandatory for our economy today AND we have been "Living Out of Our Means" for quite some time. Our census was higher and we were able to be flexible with the department budgets. I believe a better perception from ALL of us would allow us to see the real picture if we "Get Out of Our Minds" and stay in tune "With Our Hearts". Bashing our CEO and Leadership who have taken on huge challenging decisions is definitely firing shots in the wrong direction. I hope the Love and Compassion for one another will build again instead of falling. If we are angry with one another, how can we honestly give our patients our FULL potential? Maybe those who are so disgruntled could find the time to make a trip to Washington and hear about the REAL DEAL of what we are facing as a company and throw the tabloids away. I will alaways LOVE Suncoast Hospice, no matter the changes and challenges that are ahead.

I am trained in patient and family support

Volnteer Patient and Family Support (Current Employee)
    Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsThe company provides a pleasant working environment.

ConsI am a volunteer, so I do not get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within when paying position's become available.

Extremely happy in my roles with Suncoast Hospice!

Clearwater, FL

ProsMore and more every day, people are being held accountable in their jobs. If you work hard, it's extremely rewarding. Things are constantly changing but in a good way. My team is awesome and great to work with. It's a very collaborative environment so while it may take time for a process to change, there's much thought and discussion put into every decision/change.

ConsSome employees are resistant to change. This makes it difficult for those who are ready to move in a different direction that in years past. Some technical difficulties continue but there are improvements made every day. Communication isn't disseminated to lower levels as it should be, leaving a lot of employees unaware about what's going on in other departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership could help by providing more information to staff and being more transparent. It would be helpful for information that comes out of meetings to be shared with staff on/in each team/department.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very rewarding job

Flex RN (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

Prosgood employees, benefits okay, very fulfilling work

Consleadership unsupportive, lots of work off the clock, sometimes stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementAttempt to be more loyal to staff, especially those with a long history.

Two many changes in the last two years

PCTA (Former Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsI injoyed working with my co-workers

ConsDealing with the upper mangement was not a goood thing

Advice to Senior ManagementNot good

Very disappointed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with patients and families is a wonderful experience.

ConsThe whole climate of the organization has changed since the new "CEO" alias "The Butcher" took over. Employees work in an environment of distrust, fear, intimidation. The main goal of the new CEO is to cut costs so he has been pushing employees and managers out the door with no compassion. He is now relying on PRN staff who receive no benefits and are called in to work only when needed. Managers push their employees without mercy in order to keep their own jobs. Employees often turn against each other in order to earn the good favor of management and in hopes of keeping their jobs. "The Butcher" has a dog who attends all meetings and is treated like royalty while the employees are treated like dirt. A very, very sad place top work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some courage, stand up for your employees, talk to the board, send "the Butcher" back to where he came from. Let's restore the principles and values on which Suncoast Hospice was founded.

Not what I expected

ProsDisciplines work as a team, gas and travel reimbursement, and the ccmpany actually gives raises.

ConsWith all the changes in health care the company is changing, and not for the good. The foundation on which the company was started is gone. It's become all about numbers and regulations and less about quality care at time of death. Guarenteed forty hour work weeks and barely making thirty-five.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit leaving your staff hanging! Keep your staff involved throughout all changes! Stop springing major changes on your staff with out warning, keep staff in the LOOP!

awesome-until position change

Staff RN (Former Employee)

ProsPTO-wonderful , caring nurses-employees work together to offer patient care

Conschanges since new CEO-when employees leave they are not replaced adding a higher workload to other employees with no further compensation-evening weekend management poor-threatening several nurses with job loss/poor management skills

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at your evening/weekend managers-hear all the facts-don't overload your employees-offer positive reinforcement to employees dealing with death and dying 24/7

Was the best job in the world, now very disillusioned.

Nurse (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsBringing comfort to dying patients and family members. For thirty plus years the hospice team worked like a fine Swiss watch to provide true and honest care for the patient and family. They are trying to work on the salary issues for the employees.Will continue to try and hang in there because I believe the work we do is important.

ConsMassive turnover of employees including long time leadership who set the tone for the entire organization. In the past two years we have lost outstanding leaders, excellent RN case managers and compassionate continuous care nurses. Weekly there are goodbyes from outstanding employees who are "retiring." Hospice cannot hire fast enough to replace them. Massive confusion, intimidation, no personal life, and lots of lips service. I talked with a number of nurses that said that orientation was like talking to a new car salesman, six months later they have "found out they have been sold a lemon."

Advice to Senior ManagementWe don't need to keep changing the name of the organization or the name of the buildings. We don't need a committee for every perceived problem. We don't need more meetings. Everybody is in meetings. As an employee I have called various departments and cannot reach the person I need to get in touch with they are in meetings I get voice mail and leave a message.

Working in mass confusion.

Staff RN (Current Employee)
    Clearwater, FL

ProsHelping people during the dying process. This is a very rewarding job! The employees are wonderful! The other employees are kind and helpful and some of the best people to work with ever. The benefits are very good.

ConsThe left hand never knows what the right hand is doing. There is never enough staff. The computer system is the slowest and most user unfriendly ever. The pay is very bad. Too much money is used trying to keep other hospice out of Pinellas County instead of retaining employees with decent pay. Our founder died and unfortunately her ideas and dreams died with her.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo know your people instead of just thinking you know your people. To put more money into your people instead of upper management pockets.

Worked for Suncoast Hospice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Suncoast Hospice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Suncoast Hospice CEO Rafael Sciullo. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Suncoast Hospice employees.