Suncoast Hospice

2.5

Rafael Sciullo

Not what it used to be.

I worked at Suncoast Hospice

Pros

You accumulate a lot of PTO. 9 hours biweekly.

Cons

The pay is salary for RNs and you will take a pay cut. You will find yourself using your PTO as quickly as you earned it because of the long hours, on call, and emotional stress of the job.

Try to keep caseloads at a more manageable 16 patients per RN max. Pay attention to this and make sure there is help for those with high caseloads. The database for charting needs to be upgraded and streamlined to make it more user friendly and less time consuming for RNs. It feels like your forever clicking tabs just to complete one task.

Positive Experience Overall

I worked at Suncoast Hospice

Pros

Overall friendly environment, hours not too demanding, moderate level of pressure, most co-workers were knowledgeable and helpful. Average pay and benefits. Ultimately a pleasant but relatively average experience.

Cons

Promotional structure was not all that clear. Management could be somewhat overbearing at times. Tasks were sometimes repetitive to complete. Sometimes worked after-hours when it was inconvenient.

Make the promotional structure within the individual departments of the organization more clear.

Good concept, poor upper management

Former Employee - Psychosocial in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Psychosocial in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Suncoast Hospice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best was caring for the patients. I loved being out in the field. There was a lot of team support as well.

Cons

Management is very top heavy. Instead of the agency being about the care and quality of life for patients, management now only cares about productivity and numbers. I've heard many patients who have had subpar care since the new changes. It used to be rare and that saddens me greatly. Also employees are being more and more bogged down which makes it hard to drop what you're doing to help a patient in a crisis. Work is not 8-5. Much documentation has to be completed after hours.

Aren't some of the negative reviews being submitted by deceased patients' families being taken into consideration?

Unfortunate changes are killing morale.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Suncoast Hospice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Our community reputation is still positive.

Cons

How long before our reputation is tarnished for good? We face challenges with less funding but our current leadership plans are bleeding away many long term, experienced frontline staff. You can't just replace experience with warm bodies.

Our new CEO talks a big show about his greatness and qualifications. He fails to mention that his style of intimidation when not in front of a camera does not foster loyalty. Ditto for management implementing his top down decisions. This is exactly opposite of what built Hospice up over the years with the founding leadership. We now have a king.

Liked the job, not the management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Suncoast Hospice

Pros

The job itself was great. Great and supportive coworkers.

Cons

They have people in the immediate management who don't know how to do the basic job requirements. There is a high turnover rate with terrible pay and no rehiring. Would always be told we are on a hiring freeze but we have 17 vice presidents and can only hire PRN. Constant micromanaging when there didn't have to be. The whole company looks into the dollar signs rather than there patients and employees.

Cut some of the top management out and treat the workers in the field better. Hire people who are competent for the job and portray the hospice way of life.

Stressful! Disheartened

Current Employee - Staff RN in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Suncoast Hospice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good PTO, dedicated staff, ability to help patients at vulnerable time

Cons

Nurses are leaving in droves. Caseloads are through the roof, averaging 20+ patients per nurse and these are case managed patients, not safe. An average caseload should be about 14 patients to adequately manage their needs, keeping in mind these are dying patients who need much TLC. There is a quota of 20 visits per week which is manageable unless one of your patients goes south and you spend 4 hours getting them settled. Now to the on call. With so many nurses leaving your on call averages one weekend every 5 weeks and one full night each week. You can guarantee you will be called out to make back up visits, you are paid 50 dollars per visit regardless if you spend 30 minutes or 3 hours with that patient. Charting is supposed to be completed electronically at the bedside but is impossible due to the volume of patients that demand your attention. The result is spending until 10 or 11 at night charting or 5-6 hours on the weekend completing it. I used to love this job, it is very rewarding and fulfilling, now I resent the time it is taking away from my personal life and family time. Once upon a time you were treated as you should be when guiding folks through the journey to a comfortable and peaceful death. Initial orientation spends a lot of time preaching a work/life balance that is just not possible what is expected/required at this time. Now the focus is " get over it and here is another patient". Dealing with death and dying patients takes a toll on your mind body and emotions but this does not seem to matter any more. This is being reflected in the family satisfaction surveys, which are routinely shared with the staff making them even more discouraged. Any nurse worth her salt wants to do a good job at any cost and sharing the results adds shame.

Please please please someone come to your senses!! Walk a mile in the shoes of your field staff! Not just for one or two visits. Spend a week actually following a nurse and see the work that we do. Sit by my side from the time I start in the morning until I end my day. Realize that I am in action from the moment I get up until I go to bed. Realize that I routinely don't eat all day and rarely take a bathroom break. Sit next to me while I try to chart but are interrupted by numerous calls and texts. Get up with me at 2 am to go to an on call visit and then try to work the next day. Sit next to me while I try to complete my charting on the weekend while my family goes on without me. Get THIS house in order before you partner and attempt to move into other counties. Stop trying to placate us by telling us "it will get better soon" when this has been going on for years without any results or resolution. Ever since the nurses caseloads have skyrocketed there has been a total of ONE acknowledgement that our caseloads are way over what they should be and we are working understaffed by a VP and it was sent not by that person but through another and gave vague promises that they would work on hiring more staff. Suncoast Hospice was once known for its caring and compassionate staff but sadly I must say that is no longer true. Upper management is out of touch with what is really happening on the team level and seem to not want or care to know. Please wake up and realize this before you lose more employees that really want to do good work and provide superior care. I really love the work I do and do not want to seek other employment but I cannot tolerate this much longer.

Best job to disappointed in 6 years

I worked at Suncoast Hospice full-time

Pros

Team approach, good PTO, free phone, rapid response to support team members in the field and seemed to care about quality patient care.

Cons

They talked a good talk about work/life balance, supporting team members as family and "doing the right thing". however, management was out of touch with the "worker ants" in the field. They made changes from top-down, without concern or input from the people would be effected by the change or the impact it would have on patient care. It was all very awkward and backwards.

Stop the madness. Micromanagement and lording over your employees is senseless. Stop punishing your top performers for being proactive and trying to grow your business. Pay salaries that allow your employees to stop shopping at the Thrift Store.

Horrible management, poor salary and expected to work 80 hours a week for 40 hour salary

Former Employee - Staff RN in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Suncoast Hospice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Issue you a phone and an old laptop that barely works

Cons

Management on "teams" shows favoritism, and constant negative feedback. Unappreciated for the work that you do. You will work 80 hours plus a week charting, and get paid (poorly) for 40 hours if lucky! This was a toxic work environment with horrible PFCC's (leadership) and lazy Senior Staff nurses. Constant gossip and lack of compassion, totally not focused on patient care. Very sad, since Hospice used to be patient based.

Poor compensation (once again). Learn not to threaten employees. Stop gossiping, and treat your staff with respect. This company is downsizing and cutting back in all areas. They will suck you dry, and effective your family life. So, if you want to work in a place that you have no life outside of work- this job is for you!

From great to it's a job

I have been working at Suncoast Hospice full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

PTO is very good, benefits fair, immediate supervisor cares for team

Cons

Upper management doesn't keep employees informed in timely manner, now micro managing employees making them anxious when no need to. Makes a person feel guilty if late or need time off. Training could be better when first hired, changes should be discussed with everyone before implemented.

Keep everyone in the loop regarding changes, so they were handled better. Stop micro managing , you already have good employees. Start treating employees with respect, listen to what they have to say, bring back the hospice heart, keep good employees, it's ok to expand other areas, but not at the expense of losing the hospice original message. No need for so many directors, stop making the employees feel unsafe, like they can be replaced at any moment. We are there for the patients, no matter what department we work in. Also stopped sending mixed messages, and have rules apply to all, no more favorites. Be more consistent , stop making unnecessary changes.

Love and Compassion for our patients

I have been working at Suncoast Hospice full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent PTO, personal understanding from department head, treated with respect. The pay is fair and acceptable.

Cons

Honestly, having a dependable computer network. Too much down time, too many emails stating the downtime. Don't waste time sending status emails about the network, just get us a fix and get us a better, dependable network. STOP the for sale email list. Too much time being focused on personal items instead of keeping focus on patients. Lets get down to business and leave the personal affairs for after work.

I have to admit, there are a lot of meetings. Some staff get high anxiety when a management member has an emergency and needs to get them on the phone and to be told that they are in a meeting. My management team will return the phone calls asap though. Most staff complain about the pay but it makes me wonder why they took the job if pay is such a personal issue. Due to healthcare changes, through no fault of our own, Suncoast Hospice has been challenged with new changes. Most change decisions are a must to follow through in order to sustain an existence for our patients. Most staff do not like change but change is mandatory for our economy today AND we have been "Living Out of Our Means" for quite some time. Our census was higher and we were able to be flexible with the department budgets. I believe a better perception from ALL of us would allow us to see the real picture if we "Get Out of Our Minds" and stay in tune "With Our Hearts". Bashing our CEO and Leadership who have taken on huge challenging decisions is definitely firing shots in the wrong direction. I hope the Love and Compassion for one another will build again instead of falling. If we are angry with one another, how can we honestly give our patients our FULL potential? Maybe those who are so disgruntled could find the time to make a trip to Washington and hear about the REAL DEAL of what we are facing as a company and throw the tabloids away. I will alaways LOVE Suncoast Hospice, no matter the changes and challenges that are ahead.