Suncor

Suncor Reviews in Calgary, AB Canada

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Suncor President & CEO Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance is supported by everyone(in 9 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities and well managed, especially at the most senior levels(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work-life balance parity between teams within a function(in 6 reviews)

• Relatively smaller community if up in Fort McMurray but worth expereince and salary(in 8 reviews)

62 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great company with opportunities for growth and development... In some teams

Human Resources (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsA great company with opportunities for growth and development.. Interesting work.

ConsSome staff promoted to leadership positions before they are ready/capable. Cliquey environment with employees competing among each other not the best way to establish efficiencies and teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent staff and steer away from hiring so many temps.

The experience was a mix of very good with some not so good

Contracts Administrator (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsSome very qualified and knowledgeable people who were willing to listen an share their know how!

Conspolitics and people wanting to protect their turf. Lack of openness and direction for employees. Make a mistake an you were taken to task. This of-course depends on your supervisor

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the people you promote to management are qualified in the area they are promoted into. Your desire to try and expose people to different business units does not always work. They have to have some knowledge of the area they are promoted to.

Great work, great people, great experience.

Reg Dev Coop (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood atmosphere, work ethic, people values, safety concerns, business values and a good vision.

ConsNo overtime policy, No/Much less openings available for full time candidates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat work evironment. Responsible, ethical company.

ConsGreat place to work, no major cons.

Great perks but don't let them blind you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros- Lots of friendly, intelligent people
    - Good pay & benefits, especially flex days and annual vacation
    - Varied work experiences allow you to learn different areas of the business if desired

Cons- Politics, politics, politics - Lots of talking the talk and not walking the walk
    - Everything is a project and it's all high priority; many projects draw on the same experts leading to burnout
    - Senior leaders take for granted that high pay, bonuses and incentives (that take 3 years to vest) will keep people around, but they forget that some people are motivated by more than money

Advice to Senior Management- Promote people with true leadership skills, not just technical knowledge and/or self-promotion skills
    - Encourage thoughtful and purposeful planning and execution rather than rushing to implementation and dealing with the aftermath later
    - Focus on employee development to retain good people - they need challenging opportunities and want to make contributions that will be sustained, not re-worked or negated by the next project that comes along

Excellent place to be until you reach mid-to-senior management level.

Manager (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat place to be when you are a recent grad, great culture.

ConsSalaries start to fall behind industry average as you move up the ladder. Too many priorities and bureaucracy is rampant. Too many "old-school" managers. Motivation starts to fade as you go up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on lean management, promote leaders from within, learn from younger generation of professionals.

My review of Suncor? A mixed bag -

Team Lead (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsSome great people work here. I have had the opportunity, at times, to learn from my colleagues and deliver great work. There are some very dedicated line/first-level managers in some business units and areas. If you are an aggressive personliaty the future is wide open.

ConsAs the compnay has grown I have observed more troublesome things. I see problems in mid to senior leadership - likely the result of old-style promotions (promote the loudest). Acquisitions always add more rancour and fault lines to the organzation and the Petro-Canada acquisition has not yet resolved itself regardless of public perception. It plays out in office politics every day. There are also fewer women in senior leader positions - it is subtle, but men have greater opportunities to develop and advance. I am quite sure if someone lifted the cover we would find gender-based pay inequity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look. Don't believe everything you are told in the glossy stewardship report. Pay attention to employee enaggement survrys and anonymous feedback from places like glass door. The cracks are starting to show, gentlemen.

Great work place

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsIt's just amazing to work for Suncor

ConsSometimes, you feel there are too many bosses in your team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep open-minded to your employee's suggestion

Education, Experience Are not Valued or Factored into the Compensation

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe pay and benefits are better than the companies I used to work for.

ConsI got paid based on my role not my education, knowledge or experience.

My former boss went out to hire a high-paid contractor to do the work which can be added to my current role. I felt no hope to get promoted or raised because I am not given any right opportunity to prove myself.

Advice to Senior Management1) Education and professional experience should be part of consideration when reviewing the salary band.

2) Ask if any of the current employees wants to take the new workload before going out to hire any additional resource.

2) Making it easier for an experienced current employee to transfer to a new role even he/she does not meet all the criteria of the new role - providing training if needed as long as she/he is a fast learner with similar experience. Ask them what they would like to do and what their strength are, give them the opportunity to develop themselves!

Geological Technologist

Geological Technologist (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsStable company with opportunity to grow

ConsNot the company Petro-Canada was by a long shot

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up on the process management

Worked for Suncor? Contribute to the Community!