Suncor

Suncor President & CEO Steve Williams

Steve Williams

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Opportunities for Development

Process Safety Implementation Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Suncor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe size of Suncor lends itself well to many interesting and varied career development opportunities. There are many good opportunities for engaging work in which one could learn and grow every day.

Depending on the role and responsibilities, the tempo can be face paced, which many people enjoy.

The financial compensation can be more then fair, depending on the role and responsponsibilities.

ConsThe cons are that each individual must set boundaries. The boundaries must be set to protect family life, physical health, and mental health. This is a challenge in any company but is magnified in a company which is fast pace and "results driven".

Advice to Senior ManagementLets continue to tell the Suncor and Oilsands story. Those in opposition to the development of oilsands are very vocal. We need to be as enthusiastic and vocal proponents of responsible development.

The product we provide society is needed and valued. We need to continue to remind folks of the value added to their personal lives. We need to educate them on the Suncor culture of safety and responsible development.

A great company with opportunities for growth and development... In some teams

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Suncor as a contractor for less than a year

ProsA great company with opportunities for growth and development.. Interesting work.

ConsSome staff promoted to leadership positions before they are ready/capable. Cliquey environment with employees competing among each other not the best way to establish efficiencies and teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent staff and steer away from hiring so many temps.

The experience was a mix of very good with some not so good

Contracts Administrator (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Suncor full-time for more than a year

ProsSome very qualified and knowledgeable people who were willing to listen an share their know how!

Conspolitics and people wanting to protect their turf. Lack of openness and direction for employees. Make a mistake an you were taken to task. This of-course depends on your supervisor

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the people you promote to management are qualified in the area they are promoted into. Your desire to try and expose people to different business units does not always work. They have to have some knowledge of the area they are promoted to.

Great work, great people, great experience.

Reg Dev Coop (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Suncor as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood atmosphere, work ethic, people values, safety concerns, business values and a good vision.

ConsNo overtime policy, No/Much less openings available for full time candidates.

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Suncor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat work evironment. Responsible, ethical company.

ConsGreat place to work, no major cons.

Great perks but don't let them blind you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Suncor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Lots of friendly, intelligent people
- Good pay & benefits, especially flex days and annual vacation
- Varied work experiences allow you to learn different areas of the business if desired

Cons- Politics, politics, politics - Lots of talking the talk and not walking the walk
- Everything is a project and it's all high priority; many projects draw on the same experts leading to burnout
- Senior leaders take for granted that high pay, bonuses and incentives (that take 3 years to vest) will keep people around, but they forget that some people are motivated by more than money

Advice to Senior Management- Promote people with true leadership skills, not just technical knowledge and/or self-promotion skills
- Encourage thoughtful and purposeful planning and execution rather than rushing to implementation and dealing with the aftermath later
- Focus on employee development to retain good people - they need challenging opportunities and want to make contributions that will be sustained, not re-worked or negated by the next project that comes along

Excellent place to be until you reach mid-to-senior management level.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Suncor full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to be when you are a recent grad, great culture.

ConsSalaries start to fall behind industry average as you move up the ladder. Too many priorities and bureaucracy is rampant. Too many "old-school" managers. Motivation starts to fade as you go up.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on lean management, promote leaders from within, learn from younger generation of professionals.

My review of Suncor? A mixed bag -

Team Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Suncor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome great people work here. I have had the opportunity, at times, to learn from my colleagues and deliver great work. There are some very dedicated line/first-level managers in some business units and areas. If you are an aggressive personliaty the future is wide open.

ConsAs the compnay has grown I have observed more troublesome things. I see problems in mid to senior leadership - likely the result of old-style promotions (promote the loudest). Acquisitions always add more rancour and fault lines to the organzation and the Petro-Canada acquisition has not yet resolved itself regardless of public perception. It plays out in office politics every day. There are also fewer women in senior leader positions - it is subtle, but men have greater opportunities to develop and advance. I am quite sure if someone lifted the cover we would find gender-based pay inequity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look. Don't believe everything you are told in the glossy stewardship report. Pay attention to employee enaggement survrys and anonymous feedback from places like glass door. The cracks are starting to show, gentlemen.

Great work place

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Suncor full-time for less than a year

ProsIt's just amazing to work for Suncor

ConsSometimes, you feel there are too many bosses in your team.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep open-minded to your employee's suggestion

Geological Technologist

Geological Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Suncor full-time for more than 10 years

ProsStable company with opportunity to grow

ConsNot the company Petro-Canada was by a long shot

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up on the process management

Worked for Suncor? Contribute to the Community!

Suncor Videos

Suncor – Why Work for Us?

Go Ahead. Expect More. Suncor is Canada’s premier integrated energy company– the largest in Canada and the fifth largest in North America. When you join Suncor, you’re signing on with a company that has built a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Suncor reviews and ratings in Calgary, AB — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Suncor CEO Steve Williams. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Suncor employees.