Suncor

Suncor Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Suncor President & CEO Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Pros
  • Work/Life Balance is supported by everyone (in 10 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities and well managed, especially at the most senior levels (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • There is very little work-life balance parity between teams within a function (in 6 reviews)

• Relatively smaller community if up in Fort McMurray but worth expereince and salary (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Suncor is a family oriented company that aims to be environmentally conscious and maintain complete professionalism.

ProsLots of career opportunities in Canada.

ConsRefinery operations sometimes include long hours

Great internship overall - awesome experience to learn with good people and excellent benefits.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Great benefits.
    -Interesting work.
    -Supporting team and management.
    -Nice people.

Cons-'Silos' built by people in different departments who won't see the bigger picture.
    -Lack of understanding between teams and departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore work should be done to integrate people in the office and field to create a better overall environment.

If you live to work, this place is for you.

Engineer (Former Employee) Commerce City, CO

ProsIf you make the cut, and pay your dues for a few years, you can make a lifelong career at their refinery. Play the politics, make the right "friends," follow the company line, and have the intelligence, perseverance and stamina necessary.... you should be able to stay employed for life. It's an exciting place to work; you won't get bored.

ConsBait and switch on the amount of work necessary for engineers. A 60 hour work week would not be unusual for projects once funding comes through. A project engineer in the Commerce City Refinery is expected to handle 6-10 projects for turnaround periods, ranging from $500K to $4M, each. The work filters down to the discipline engineers. Turnaround, of course, requires extreme overtime. Safety is given lip service. If it costs too much to bring up to code, the cost is spread out over too many years. The question isn't "if" it will happen at this facility; it is "when".

Advice to Senior ManagementStop jumping over a dollar to save a dime. Staff up your projects so all the procedures and safety reviews can be done well instead of simply getting through the gate. Revisit the bonus structure so the full time employees don't overwork the contractors to ensure quality and safe work. Pick two: fast, good, cheap. You've chosen fast and cheap.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Takes Care of Employees

Human Resources Advisor (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat benefits, good work environment

ConsReporting up to Canadian HQ makes US office seem removed from being involved.

SCM Analyst

Prosfun people, young crowd, opportunities available,

Consfound none. on the whole was a great experience

Not what it used to be.

Refinery Maintenance (Current Employee) Commerce City, CO

ProsGaining experience. You can take good lessons of what not to do. There are some good people scattered throughout the facility.

ConsThere are no training or advancement programs. The influx of multiple managers has everyone job scared and hesitant to make decisions. Hiring and promotions are based on favoritism. There is rampant discrimination at the U.S. refinery.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the double standard where management or those favored by management are not held to the same level of expectations. Stop sending managers southbound that apply tyrannical methods and try to intimidate subordinates.

Very Good

Logistics Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsWorked at Suncor as a co-op student. Was privileged to have a good boss/mentor. Lots of extra-curricular activities to get involved in within the organization which is refreshing. Good work-life balance

ConsLots of bureaucracy - takes a long time for things to get done.

Co-op student

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros- The pay is really competitive
    - Office environment is very friendly
    - Flexible hours offer work life balance

Cons- Work can be tedious and boring
    - Most employees have been hear a very long time so career progression can be tough

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training and opportunities to your younger employees

Great environment for learning and developing your career

Environmental Coordinator (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsPositive work environment, good benefits

ConsAs a junior employee, there weren't any cons I can think of

Great Company

Project Analyst (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsLots of learning options in every department

ConsNot that much work sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementMore balanced workload

Worked for Suncor? Contribute to the Community!