Suncorp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Patrick Snowball

x

Prosgood job titles for shared service / advice functions

Conschallenging to progress for P&L roles

Advice to Senior Managementelevating all advice and support functions will dilute business acumen...

A Place for a long term career

Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsSuncorp is a company with a genuine passion for their people and customers with constant focus on continuous improvement. Suncorp is not afraid to make gutsy decisions and is changing the face of insurance in Australia.

ConsSometimes business processes hinder rather than help progress but this is becoming less and less common.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing for our people and customers - keep challenging the status quo.

A good stable company with a good work life balance.

Analytics Specialist (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe area in which I work outstanding opportunities for advanced analytics and Data Science. The management are also very humane, something almost never observed in large companies. There are great opportunities for long term development.

ConsSometimes a bit bureaucratic, probably due to the companies history as a former government business. The senior management are professional managers and don't really necessarily understand the business. They are also following out-of-date paradigms such as outsourcing many IT functions (savvy international companies are now in-sourcing key IT infrastructure, having discovered the hard way the outsourcing was a costly mistake). Also, they are obsessed with cloud offerings without any clear understanding of the risk both to information security as well as operational efficiency (network latency is a major non-controlled issue). IT processes are overly complex, it takes 6 people four weeks to set up an FTP capability. There is also an unhealthy obsession with Agile development methodology, it operates largely as a cult and is deleterious to good development practice (if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail).

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, except for the bureaucracy

Personal Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsRemuneration, team work, being able to use initiative

ConsIT, the new procurement and invoicing process, lack of internal customer services i.e. hospitality, meeting room and equipment management and IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management i.e. EGMS need to mingle more with their non direct teams and make an effort in being more personally transparent

Claims Assist consultant

Claims Assist Consultant (Former Employee) Melbourne (Australia)

ProsWork culture is family oriented and great. Team members always happy to help each other. Supportive team leaders and Technical service officers. very supportive of diversity: cultural, disabilties, age, gender. Discounts on insurance. Great work environment.

ConsGym not put in place ...yet...else it would be a perfect workplace to be in.

Good Company with a wide spectrum of colleague both good and bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company with many opportunities
    Many brands and different segment strategies and business models
    Professionally run

ConsStructure can be overly complex leading to excessive matrix and line management reporting, duplication, internal negative competition

Advice to Senior ManagementRotations and cross group teaming

Good company to work for!

ProsWork-Life balance, Competitive products, Fast promotion, Generally a good company

ConsSilly compliance procedures, some staffs are too lazy and always push tasks away

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid off lazy staffs

Great company to work for in all areas - at the end of the day comes down to whichever manager you work for

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- always ready to develop your career path for you
    - strong actuarial firm that allows you to learn lots on technical skills
    - a company with great image which boost your ego when you tell others you work for suncorp

Cons- dont get much of pay rise and stays as it is once you hit the higher band
    - bonuses depends on the company profit. if there's flood occuring in QLD, don't expect attractive bonuses

A company that still tries to find its own culture

Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsPays market rate
    One of the biggest GI insurer.
    Market leader in pricing techniques and pricing engines.

ConsYour experience will greatly depend on who is your manager.
    Doesn't have a clear career pathway.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to set clear pathways for ambitious people.
    Need to remove red tapes.

Okay for a short time

Pros- Large
    - Plenty of benefits
    - In theory room to move

Cons- Management goes with the latest trends
    - Inconsistent messages

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to hold EM's account and not see themselves a law unto themselves and sometimes do things that is bordering on work place bullying.

Worked for Suncorp? Contribute to the Community!