Sundt Reviews

3.8

Dave Crawford

Intern

I have been working at Sundt as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Sundt for the past 3 months as an intern and I have to say that I love the atmosphere here. The people I work with are great and my boss is flexible with my rigorous class schedule. As for training, you will receive one on one training in the field you desire. I would highly recommend interning here.

Cons

A few days were slow with little to no work.

Sundt has been a great company to work for in many ways.

Current Employee - Field Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sundt as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Sundt Construction Inc. is a well structured company with highly motivated employee owners. The people at Sundt set this company apart from its competitors. The company being 100 percent employee owned encourages its employees to be successful. From my experience at Sundt, I have seen first hand how employee ownership has had a positive impact on the morale and success of its employees. I enjoy working at Sundt because you are rewarded for working hard and being innovative. When everyone is working hard and being innovative, not only does everyone benefit, but everyone continues to learn and get better at what they do. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about construction working a Sundt. This internship has allowed me to actually use knowledge and tools that I have gained in College, and apply it to real projects. Construction is all about gaining experience and learning from mistakes. Sundt has allowed me to gain skills in the construction industry and grow towards my personal goals.

Cons

Depending on your position at Sundt, you could be working longer hours than others. If you are a hard worker, it's nothing you can't handle though.

I think Sundt has great time off policies, personal growth, and training. My training at Sundt was very good and went smoothly. Everyone was ready to help with any questions or concerns that I had during my Internship. The only advice I have would be about feedback. An Internship is like auditioning for a job. As an intern feedback lets you know where your weeknesses and strengths are. I think more feedback would be good so we can improve and refine our skills.

Life-altering

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sundt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coming from a company that didn't appreciate any of their employees, I was reluctant to whether or not I wanted to continue my career in the construction industry. When I came to Sundt I was astounded by the care and dedication the leaders put in to make their employees love where they work. Not only that, but as you walk through the company headquarters building you can take a peak in any division and realize that this is a company unlike any other. This is a company built with integrity and we all strive to keep it that way. Your leaders work with you so that you continually grow within the company. You won't ever be at a stand-still here.

Cons

At Sundt, you are expected to do your job. It's as simple as that. It's not a typical 8-5 job. I's a work-until-it's-done kind of job. Which some people can view as a "con" or some people can view as "they will treat me as I will treat them," meaning that if you work an insane amount of hours your boss is likely to tell you to GO HOME early a couple days that way.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All in all its been fun, challenging, rewarding and profitable.

Current Employee - Project Director  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Director in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sundt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been able to grow and accomplish my career goals. My work-life balance is definitely more work than life, but I think that is part of the business. All I ask is that when I need the time I get it. Sundt is very good about understanding that and allowing us to take time out and handle what ever situations life may throw at us.

Cons

Three years ago I would not have had a single con to include in this area. However, the economy shift has had a ripple effect on subs and owners. So this has made it a difficult environment to work in. This is ultimately what we get paid for, but a little help from upper management or recognition rather than more pressure would be a welcomed change.

Try to understand the issues and offer help in resolving them before simply applying more pressure.

Sundt has been an overall great place to work at.

Current Employee - Field Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sundt as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The best things have to be the people who work for Sundt. Mostly everyone is very helpful and actually cares how things are going. It definitely feels like a company that treats you as a second family. This company is very professional and every day brings new experiences and great opportunities.

Cons

I would not say anything bad about this company. Every task day in and day out is a part of a job that needs to be done and I value my time here.

Advice would be to maybe think about creating a reward system for employees in the office. I know of bonuses but maybe just an employee of the week awarding some type of acknowledgment to those really busting their butt around and being noticed for it.

Great Internship Experience

Current Employee - Engineering Intern
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern

I have been working at Sundt as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is very competitive, employees are friendly and helpful, and most projects are large and interesting. Personally, I liked what I've seen of the employee-owned aspect of the company - everyone seems very unified and motivated. If you're a college student looking at a career in construction, take a serious look at Sundt's internship program.

Cons

Some slow days where I had to scrounge for enough work to fill my day. However, this is pretty common with internships and there are worse problems to have.

Keep doing what you're doing!

This Company Has Yet to "Go Beyond the Expected"... *Feeling Optimistic*

Current Employee - Administrative Professional  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Administrative Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sundt full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

1) Heritage - It is great to be working for a company that has been around since 1890 and still is ranked as one of the best construction companies in the country. This company has survived and thrived through various economic recessions.

2) ESOP - It is like having free money that is, if you intend to stay at Sundt for a long time. One will definitely reap the rewards at retirement.

3) LEAN Culture - Sundt has gradually adopted a culture that values continuous improvement.

4) Sundt Foundation - it is a great opportunity to be able to give back to the communities where Sundt is present. It gives Sundt, aside from all the Employee Owners, its heart.

5) Has potential to be the great company it used to be -- fingers crossed.

Cons

1) Management often overlooks talent and exceptional work ethic from within the company. Seasoned and experienced employees are let go only to have their positions filled again with new employees that require training and orientation, resulting in a lot of wasted resources. Unfortunately, this "waste" ultimately affects each Employee Owners' much valued ESOP.

2) Sundt has many policies, goals, mission and vision statements that are inspiring and truly admirable. However, it all just looks good on paper. The frustration starts to set in when these very same statements, goals, policies are not being applied to day-to-day operations of the company.

3) Sundt employs a mixture of races and gender. However, it is still very evident that racial and gender classifications still determine employee positions and vertical movement in the company. This has resulted in the loss of so many great employees who have fallen victim to the "system".

4) Open Door Policy. It depends on whose door it is you choose to walk through.

5) Nepotism. A lot of nepotism.

Upper management should be vigilant. Look out for your exceptional employees and learn to pick out the bad unsatisfactory. Value and reward those who deserve it and at the same time, rid the company of the nuisance. The company's employee owners are its treasure, learn to distinguish between the real assets and liabilities.

Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sundt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary and benefits package.

Cons

Disorganized and incompetent junior management. Some staff are more concerned with building their own careers on the backs of their harder working subordinates, than building the project they've been assigned to. Information and coordination are almost nonexistent. Tense work environment at times. There is more to leadership than being the boss.

Develop your new talent through mentoring. Trust in your recruiting process and hold junior management accountable. Provide for feedback from new hires during the first several months. There is a huge disparity between the professionalism found at the Tempe headquarters and the incompetence fostered in the field. Loyalty can't be demanded. Respect for employees and work/life balance is crucial for keeping talent.

Great Company

I have been working at Sundt

Pros

There were very interested in the "whole" person experience.

Cons

The nature of the job was hard - a lot of traveling.

Continue to build into the budgets travel for folks to go home to see their families when working out of town

Disorganized.

Current Employee - Construction Worker  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Construction Worker in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Sundt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being employed in the current state of the economy. Benefits seem better than expected from a construction company

Cons

Material procurement is a joke. 60 hours a week. Upper-Management doesn't seem to know whether they're coming or going, let alone how to run a project.

Supervisors on site don't seem to have any control or knowledge of the jobsite. There was apparently no look ahead done when the project was awarded.

Worked for Sundt? Contribute to the Community!