Sundt

Sundt Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Not yet rated.

Dave Crawford

Good and the bad aspects of an ESOP culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company overall. Up until the very end, felt like I was working for the companies benefit and that my voice was being heard and I was valued as an professional.

ConsPolitics! Playing the game is starting to be more and more of an issue and it is really causing problems. Who you know, how you ask a question and who you ask the question to can all affect how you get your job done. If you do not phrase the questions correctly, you can get stonewalled and get no help in resolving issues or just get slammed for not knowing how to do your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has been a lot of talk over the past few years from senior management about not losing the discipline and going back to the basics. I REALLY wish this would happen. Also, Sundt needs to be aware that politics are becoming a huge hindrance in achieving departmental goals.

Great Company

ProsThere were very interested in the "whole" person experience.

ConsThe nature of the job was hard - a lot of traveling.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to build into the budgets travel for folks to go home to see their families when working out of town

Disorganized.

Construction Worker (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ

ProsBeing employed in the current state of the economy. Benefits seem better than expected from a construction company

ConsMaterial procurement is a joke. 60 hours a week. Upper-Management doesn't seem to know whether they're coming or going, let alone how to run a project.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervisors on site don't seem to have any control or knowledge of the jobsite. There was apparently no look ahead done when the project was awarded.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company with a long history and a great reputation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee-owned company, great benefits package and compensation practices.

ConsSenior management is retiring and new leadership coming in doesn't fit the company culture and they are taking the company in the wrong direction, which is impacting morale and performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop and assess the current situation and do what is best for the employee-owners of the company in order to have the company continue its long legacy and positive reputation in the industry.

I think I just got unlucky to get my boss

Business Development Coordinator (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

Pros- Weekly payroll
    - 100% paid benefits
    - Overtime pay
    - Nice new building with great amenities
    - Above average pay
    - Stock plan
    - Excellent Christmas parties and time off

Cons- Management who has been there for a long time can be a bit hard to deal with.
    - I think I just got unlucky to get maybe the worse boss I have ever had. She could make anyones life miserable anywhere.

Sundt has given me many great opportunities and helped me to achieve my personal goals as a part of its larger vision.

Estimator I (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsSundt provides phenomenal benefits and its employees are good people. At Sundt, employees are people, and each one is important. If you work hard for Sundt, Sundt will work hard for you. The company sets "big, hairy, audacious goals" and it always reaches them.

ConsThe organization is quite fragmented. Each division operates with a level of independence from the others that is too high for true company-wide efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on breaking down the excessive independence of the divisions so that the company can move in new directions as a whole and be more dynamic in fluctuating markets.

Too bad the Sundt's aren't still there.

Project Director (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCompensation and are benefits competitive.

ConsForm over substance; they talk it but don't walk it anymore. No consitency. Management by the book of the month club.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you actually mean and mean it when you say it. Have the guts to fire someone if you want them out, rather than just making, or trying to make their life miserable enough that they quit. Allow people to speak truth to power. Establish an HR Department.

Sundt is a great place to work!

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsSundt is committed to its core values and continual improvement. In today's world, its refreshing to know you work for a great company with integrity. Although the construction industry is thousands of years old, Sundt is always looking to be innovative. If an employee has a great idea, the upper management will provide backing.

ConsThere are so many talented people at Sundt - a lot is expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing a great job.

Good company resting on its laurels.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWell known and is a leading contractor in the Southwest. Is very interested in staying on the leading edge of technology and construction processes. Sundt has good internal training programs. I took over 15 classes (2 to 8 hours each) ranging from public speaking to customer relations to legal employment rules and sexual harassment guidelines during my first 6 months. This continued with ongoing training beyond that. The company also gives $500 to $1000 bonuses for getting various certifications. The company is employee owned so there is profit sharing--but you have to have been there for a few years for this to make much difference.

ConsToo many employees have been there too long and there is a group think mentality. They are trying to get the right people on the bus--but it appears the right people are just too much like those already there. A little bit of nepotism also. The current management, although having been there a long time, does not seem to be very cognizant of the overall business cycle and may be blind-sided by the economic downturn. This may affect the stability of employment there if they are forced to lay-off because of over-optimism. The benefits are also set up to overly benefit those that have been there a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStir things up a little and open up the middle management to more senior positions to outsiders. A lot of current employees just seem to have the attitude of passing the buck and want to get along so they stay along. Most employees appear to lack an attitude of excellence. If glossing over problems makes everyone happy then so be it.

Good place to work

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about Sundt is that they value their employees. Management is open to suggestions for improvement, training is available (and mandatory for those starting) to help you get a good start in your position. They are fair and open with not just their employees, but their suppliers and subs as well. If you are interested in learning and growing, and working with the best and latest techniques and methods, then this is the place to be.

ConsEmployees who are used to doing things "old school" (some superintendents in particular) can find change difficult. Sometimes you get on a project where everyone is new.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on training, treatment of employees and subs. You've been doing a great job. Really.

Don't assume that project team members will automatically train the "newbies". Sometimes they can't, sometimes they won't.

Worked for Sundt? Contribute to the Community!