Sunflower Electric Power

Updated August 18, 2014
3.3

Stuart Lowry
1 Rating

The best company I have ever worked for.

I have been working at Sunflower Electric Power

Pros

Sunflower culture exceeds that of any job I have ever had. Management truly supports their staff and actually cares about their employees and customers.
    They recognize hard work and reward it with advancement and raises. These things aren't just handed to everyone. It's one of those places where hard work really does pay off. They have an open door policy. If you want to talk to your direct supervisor or the CEO, your concerns will be heard.

Cons

Budgets are tight. You get what you need to do your job, but there are no extras.

Keep up the good work - no advice needed.

Tons of opportunity although house cleaning is needed.

Current Employee - Transmission Engineer
    Current Employee - Transmission Engineer

I have been working at Sunflower Electric Power full-time

Pros

You'll get excellent opportunity to do real projects here. You definitely will not be board. People are friendly in the small towns and cost of living is very affordable. Good towns to raise your kids in.

Cons

You really have to like living in the small town environment as I have seen it wear on people. People in the organization don't communicate very well and can be rude. Nepotism policies are are followed loosely.

Upper management in Hays is doing a great job. Clean house with the nepotism as it is really creating more problems than it is worth and will even get worse in time. Be more responsive to your members. See if you can find new ways to address generation shortages.

Fast Paced, Nose to the Grindstone

I have been working at Sunflower Electric Power

Pros

The people here are genuinely nice. The compensation is also very high and benefits are comprehensive. Locations tend to be small which lends itself to a family type environment.

Cons

Where to start... there is no consistency between any departments. One area may be flexible in working arrangements while another is very rigid. HR has to have a say on EVERYTHING that happens in the company and no one likes the head of the HR department and avoid dealing with him when possible. Promotions are handed out like candy to people upper management favors without truly investigating their actual work ethic and performance.
    Micromanaging is a key theme in the company... no one can do anything with out someone scrutinizing and knitpicking something to death. The executive team has to approve anything which defeats the purpose of the million managers they have underneath them. Why hire them to do the job when you will be doing it yourself? It is a very centralized work place with little to no autonomy for the worker bees and managers.

Listen to your employees... What happened to the company wide survey we all took? We were told results would be shared in February and it is now mid-March. We have something to say so the company can improve but you don't seem to want to listen. Relinquish some responsibility... it will be okay, I promise! You have competent, responsible employees working there.