Sunflower Group

2.3

Justin Garberg

Great atmosphere.

I have been working at Sunflower Group full-time

Pros

Love this place and the family. Very family friendly.

Cons

HR is the only challenge.

n/a

Great family operated company

I have been working at Sunflower Group full-time

Pros

This company is currently run by three brothers and the treat the rest of their employees like family members as well. The company celebrates new hires and peak performers every first Friday of the month with an in off party/meeting, complete with complimentary beer and wine.

Cons

Some cons are compensation, you have to actively defend your work and prove why you deserve your wages. This is no problem for those of us that are constantly working hard.

Great Company

I have been working at Sunflower Group

Pros

Family oriented, company cares for it's employees, great atmosphere

Cons

Position availability, move up opportunity

just say no

I worked at Sunflower Group

Pros

good learning experience. You'll know which kind of company to avoid in later years

Cons

crappy pay, constant layoffs, slacked work environment. i hated working there

just quit and let someone else run it.

Organized Chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Sunflower Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, if you can stick it out long enough, job title would look good on a resume.

Cons

All of the above. Poor Training from management who expects you to be able to do their jobs. Rude teammates as they are very much more inclined to talk behind your back versus get to know you. In all honesty, they could hire 10 unpaid interns to do this job and at least then they would stick out for at least 6 months. Most people stay for about 3 months and then disappear when they see the true way this company treats its employees. I saw someone leave before I started, another disappear two days after I started, and another leave a month after. The only people who stick around are the ones the upper management actually likes.

Lack of Communication

Current Employee - Demostrator in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Demostrator in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Sunflower Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Dress, You can choose to accept a demo or you can decline. Coordinators are THE BEST, they understand the frustration that we get from upper Management.

Cons

Pay is never on time. Constantly being threatened to be "off boarded" even though they need demonstrators. Upper Management will not return emails or phone calls, and when they do can be extremely rude. Lazy payroll department always saying they didn't receive "your" paperwork in time, that is B S! Rules change weekly, never know what is going to be thrown at you. Markets do not have products you need 90% of the time. Expected to drive 50+ miles without any gas disbursements. No way to be promoted and NEVER get any raises or bonus's.

Have a little respect for YOUR Employees, treat them they you would want to be respected. More open door policy.

Will never see my paycheck!

Former Employee - Independent Contractor (Demos) in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor (Demos) in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sunflower Group as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Anna (my coordinator of demos) was the only great part about this job.

Cons

They ended up getting sued for mistreating their independent contractors. I'll never be able to collect my last, large paycheck.

Stop being so shady.

Shady company; no business acumen

I worked at Sunflower Group full-time

Pros

Casual Dress; Limited Accountability; Limited Education/Qualifications Required

Cons

This company is one of the shadiest places I've ever worked. Not a day went by where something went wrong with a program/event due to Sunflower's mismanagement/error causing me to lie or spin the truth to a customer. Reporting to clients is delayed, falsified, and spun because they don't want to disclose that events didn't execute or events executed incorrectly. Each day went to heck by 10 a.m. because of kits not shipping, kits shipping late or, kits shipping without correct supplies to demonstrators or with misprinted materials. Add staffing shortages and just about anything that could go wrong to the mix. Each program/event you design is ruined once handed over to execute by other departments/people.

Sales and client service make false promises to potential clients during a pitch saying that they have all these amazing capabilities to beat out the competitors when half the pitched services aren't even rolled out or functioning. Then if they win the business everyone scrambles to get the promised capabilities up and running (yes, more lies).

The human resources department is run by incompetent, conservative right-wing brown-nosers who continually mismanage employee's W-2s, benefits because they're too busy affixing their noses to the owners' behinds.

Stress from layoffs every few months, lying to clients to cover Sunflower's shortcomings, dealing with owners / managers who have no business acumen...I could go on.

People who survive and leave this place reminisce and laugh later at the atrociousness of it.

I am honestly not sure how the doors remain open.

Close your doors so your employees can get their lives back.

Excellent family owned company to work for. Relaxed fun atmosphere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Sunflower Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Periodically need to work overtime

Sad, sad 2nd generation family company

I worked at Sunflower Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be an energized, enterprising place to work. Used to be an entrepreneurial, nimble innovator in the promotion industry. No longer.

Cons

Picture this: an "executive team" huddled around their internal dashboard (a complex spreadsheet meant to mirror company health), making decisions for the future while staring squarely in their rear-view mirror. Disregarding and demoting anyone with contrary input or questions. Launching "new" businesses based on knee-jerk emotional wishes (certainly not upon marketplace demand) that are, at-best, poor replicas of successful, entrenched competitors. Picture a national sales manager who rarely leaves HQ, scarcely works with his team in the field--and whittles a once-powerful nationwide sales organization down to 3 successful (soon to be frustrated) performers.

Pull your head out. Listen to your clients (while you still have some.) Listen to your people (even if they say something that hurts your "feelings".) At least: update your Glassdoor profile: Dennis Garberg is no longer the CEO and hasn't been for several years since his son Justin took the reins.