Sungard Availability Services
www.sungardas.com Wayne, PA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Sungard Availability Services Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Sungard Availability Services – San Ramon – “View of the mountain from the office”

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern

Andrew A. Stern

Pros:
  • "Good Learning Opportunity Work-Life Balance is good"
    in 11 reviews
  • "great place to learn new skills"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most of the upper management has only been with the company 3 years or less"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unethical

Senior IT Solution Architect (Current Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsThe promised rate was high and the client was a well known large company.

ConsI was hired as a contractor on a 12+ mo contract. I received an offer letter with a start date after passing multiple interviews, background, drug and reference checks. I resigned from my full time job for this opportunity.

The day before my start, I received a call saying the SungardAS acct manager was out sick and wanted to be present with me at the client on my first day. they asked if I would please start on the following Monday. No problem... We played this game for 3 weeks. I was finally told that there was no position-- Sunguard did not get the contract with the client. This left me without my original job and any immediate prospects going forward. There was no followup by SungardAS to help remediate the situation with positions from other clients-- no communication at all.

In 20 years of professional IT, I have never heard of any company doing anything like this, not to mention a brand name such as this. Something is seriously wrong with Sungard's account management and human resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a small market and people will remember... A company's reputation is everything.

Unethical senior management at the Philadelphia location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere's an opportunity for exposure to a broad variety of technology. If you align yourself with the "right" people you can have a long career there.

ConsI was exposed to numerous examples of unprofessionalism while there. Sr management is good at getting things done unfortunately sometimes their methods are questionable. Very autocratic culture lacking in people skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current Sr Management in Philadelphia needs to understand the role and importance of having "people" skills. Anyone can manage through intimidation. Too many good managers, with the required skills and temperament, have been let go. They need to develop the proper balance between technical skills and social skills.

It was a great working enviornment!

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Carlstadt, NJ

ProsLearned new Technologies as they came down the pike.Had to adapt to new customers IT requirments. In 2009 as the sr. System Engineer I was the vangaurd in implementing 36 HP Integrity Itanium Servers for a major Health/Pharmaceutical clint for Sungard. This included Visio and Excel Sheets for documentation. Participate in the 911 disaster recovery of major Corporations for their Hewlett Packard IT Environments. Was well compensate both in salary and weeks of vacation. The customer was always put first.

ConsOn call 24/7. Some times had to fly out to different SunGard site, due to disasters or staffing issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a diligent and dedicated team player with strong organizational and personal skills.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Customers and Great Service offering with lots of opportunities

Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee)
    Wayne, PA

ProsWork life balance, virtual office option, compensation, flex time, some travel. The service we offer is very valuable and you get an opportunity to impact a customer immediately in a positive way.

ConsCareer path is not as clear cut depending on your position. The company does not provide a credit card for travel so everything is out of pocket and reimbursed which can be tough if you travel more than a week at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrike a deal with American Express or another card company and move towards a company credit card for customer facing roles.

Chaos

ProsSmall company so individual impact can be significant

ConsNot profitable, morale is horrible, inter-departmental cooperation is non-exisitent

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace much of the senior management

Challenging work environment

ProsChallenging can be a positive - each day is different, you need to use your brain, the people you work with are smart and hard-working.

ConsChallenging can also be a negative - passive/aggressive management, lack of consistency, very opaque decision-making.

Very suitable place for women..

ProsManagement is always encouraging and supportive... very good place to work .. colleaues have become like family.. i love working here

Conspay, pay, pay .. no bonus for 2 years now .. utilization is not met .. company not doing well

Advice to Senior Managementhire more technical people than managers... who is gonna do work?

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with an incredible group of people for several years, loved the perks employees got, not to mention the excellent benefits package provided by SunGard.

ConsI felt that the company was not so supportive of it's employees on several levels. I also felt that after the buyout and the company went private, it spent money on unnecessary things, like trips to vegas, AC, etc.

Administrator

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsWorked with knowledgeable people that know what they are doing....for the most part.

ConsJob not challenging enough for personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more challenging environment

SunGard AS is a very solid company with good benefits.

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat teamwork and coworkers.
    Solid 401k
    Customers are very good to work with

ConsLack of communication outside our our realm.
    Disconnect on philosophy from team to team

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter alignment of goals.

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sungard Availability Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern. All 256 reviews posted anonymously by Sungard Availability Services employees.