Sungard Availability Services

www.sungardas.com

Sungard Availability Services Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014
Sungard Availability Services – San Ramon – “View of the mountain from the office”

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern

Andrew A. Stern

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization(in 14 reviews)

• great place to learn new skills(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management has only been with the company 3 years or less(in 20 reviews)

• Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work(in 15 reviews)

On it's way up.

Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsFlexability, ability to manage your own workload, the people I work with.

ConsCommunication from Upper Management. Compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on it. This company and it's employees have the ability to make Sungard a great place to work!

Steadily going down hill over the past seven years.

Customer Sales Support Representative (Current Employee)

ProsMany still believe in what the company provides to customers. Still have solutions for what customers need. Flexibility for work life balances.

ConsLack of communication from the LT down to the average employee. In fighting between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting the workers and invest in them instead. Thin out the extra management layers in the Leadership Team. Hold management accountable.

Favoritism at its worst. Management hired their best buddies, and treated seasoned incumbents like dog-meat.

Marketing (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

Prostelecommuting as an option, job flexibility

Consmanagement asleep at the wheel, never prepared at meetings, running late asking for materials sent prior constantly. "do as I say not as I do" was the motto.

Advice to Senior Managementhold managers accountable for their own work, not simply how well they report on their staff's projects

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad company but could use a little work...

Program Manager (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCompensation, Benefits, Flexible on time and scheduling, great teams of very capable people.

ConsTendency to assign responsibility without authority. Confuses "Program Management" with "Project Coordination." Actual job requirements different than advertised. Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementOf primary concern to any employee assigned responsibility of a particular area, be SURE that employee has the requisite authority to accomplish the work they will be measured and evaluated by. This is probably the number one dissatisfier with an employee followed by a poor work/like balance. Do not advertise a position as one thing and in fact, have it turn out to be another. Though I said I would recommend this employer to a friend, it would be with caveats and a caution going into it.

The most interesting job I have ever had

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVariety of job experiences and customer situations - extremely interesting and challenging.

ConsNo long-range strategy for company growth. Extremely limited opportunities for promotion within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great Experience

Director (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI received loads of experience and opportunity. A great group of people to work with on a day to day basis.

ConsSenior Management was constantly changing. SunGard companies were very adversarial, did not communicate or function well. Lack of synergies. Behind on technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in the employee education and technology.

Good pay and benefits--poor management.

Data Communications Engineer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsCo-workers were some of the best people with work with. The pay and benefits were excellent. Parking was a great perk.

ConsPromotions were based on the buddy system rather than on talented, capable, hard-working people.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people based on skill and knowledge rather than as favors to friends.

SunGard is trying to reinvent itself without much success

Recovery Solutions Architect (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsSunGard offers the opportunity to learn about most anything that is available on the market. The customer base is so diverse, that the opportunity exists to gain knowledge into all manner of concepts with regard to infrastructure operations.

ConsEverything you learn is specifically geared toward disaster recovery, and you will have the opportunity to learn that VERY well. However, that is the bulk of what you learn. The ability to use the applications in the real world is not part of what the SunGard environment will be able to provide. The technical knowledge that gets you hired at SunGard will get stale quickly as you focus solely on disaster recovery.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe direction that the Recovery organization is being pushed relies on standard processes, and the ability to squeeze-fit a unique client base into recovery methodologies which can be easily duplicated and executed from off shore. Every client is different, and must be treated as such. Stop trying to perfect a cookie cutter strategy, and start focusing on actually serving the customer needs. SunGard's strength has always been in the ability of their people to adapt to each and every client, taking difficult recoveries of very complex clients and successfully working through the issues encountered. This, of course requires a very talented and empowered employee base which is inexpensive, but when the client base sees that SunGard is willing to go to this level, success (and money) will follow.

Exercise Caution!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wayne, PA

ProsFlex hours are allowed, lending better work/life balance.

ConsUnprofessional and sometimes hostile behavior is demonstrated by employees, to include some at the management level. This is one of the most disorganized places I have ever worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnprofessional behavior is at the management level and is allowed to continue. This should be addressed.

It is what you make of it

ProsGreat Brand, relevent products, great opportunity to learn about all kinds of technologies. Strong talent pool of employees

ConsSr. Leadership is disconnected from the daily grind

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to your employees to identify what needs to change

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!