Sungard Availability Services Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Highly capable but unfocused

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely talented team of individual performers, well positioned to succeed in today's complex IT environments, strong customer support ethic

Cons

Disjointed approach to the market, inconsistent focus, undefined lines of responsibility, strong internal focus losing sight of customers.

Advice to Management

Set a strategy and focus relentlessly together, make decisions stick, hold people accountable when they depart your direction and recognize this is not 1995 any more...and make decisions quickly, analysis paralysis slows your progress with no benefit. Make the call and move on to the next decision, while executing with focus.

Negative culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good services in the portfolio and a recognized industry leader in disaster recovery.

Cons

Negative and confrontational culture with an in your face attitude. Legacy services declining faster than new service growth. Way too much focus on serving upper management.

Advice to Management

Culture change needs to start at the top. Need to develop a culture that respects the employees and rewards teamwork.

One Bad Apple...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services

Pros

Good team environment for my team in particular, but mostly because we reveled in our own misfortune and misery.

Good work/life balance, but since the attitudes stink, you still walk into the building like a complete zombie, and you want to medicate so you'll forget you were ever there. I used to take a pill every day just so when my wife asked "How was your day?" I could smile and say "I can't remember."

There were a number of great people here, but unfortunately, they have left also, which means the only ones left are the ones nobody can work with.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. You WILL be overlooked for a promotion for a less qualified friend or colleague. Hey WHEN that happens, stop back here so I can tell "I told you so."

Constant stream of unnecessary requests just to create illusion of work.

Some members of senior leadership are completely misguided, or just flat out nasty horrible bullies. My professionalism doesn't allow for me to post what I really feel here.

Advice to Management

Dig into the trenches and observe the activities of some of the leadership in place. There are a lot of individuals with ulterior motives that serve the individual's best interest and may not entirely capture the company's interests.

I would stage a fake project that requires all the people that ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING to meet at a separate location, and then just gas the building. This will solve most of the problem with the dead weight "do-nothings" that like to treat others like crap.

Network Engineer

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services

Pros

Highly skilled team. Guaranteed technical growth because of the wide range of network equipment an engineer gets to work on.

Cons

Low pay increase, no bonus

Brown eyes local Management

Former Employee - NOC Tech in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Tech in Richardson, TX

I worked at Sungard Availability Services

Pros

Only pro is that it was a full time job.

Cons

Pay and schedule bad. Manager don"t know the principles to Manage. Employees have no specialized skills....do everything from house keeping to workshop and carpentry. No room for promotion.

Advice to Management

Need to dissolve entire management.

former employee in a great group that got downsized for no reason

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Work environment was strenuous, but group got work done.

Cons

Management has no clue what's going on.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about the bottomline and don't lay off a whole group who fulfilled every expectation and then some when you wouldn't hire support when they needed it.

Application Engineer - III

Former Employee - Applications Engineer - III in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer - III in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment with decent objectives that would challenge and provide opportunities to learn.

Cons

Mid management is bad, lacks skill, favorism, you scratch - I scratch works well

Advice to Management

Choose right people, identify and provide opportunities for internal people.

Change is needed

Current Employee - Finance in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Finance in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, some good managers, there are still employees who want the company to succeed.

Cons

Too many VPs , Very heavy on upper management, good talented folks leaving due to lack of growth and motivation by their management

Advice to Management

Remove Dead weight and take care of your good employees before they decide to leave.

10. Well positioned for growth

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Positive professional environment. The company is adapting quickly to a changing market landscape.

Cons

No significant issues or complaints

Advice to Management

Continue to implement change and evolve with the market

Manager Data Center Operations

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for growth if your willing to stick your neck out and go after the challenge on your own.

Cons

Company direction lacks good leadership at the top. It felt like I was on a rudderless ship just drifting from point to point. There was no shortage of great ideas, but lacking in the leadership to successfully build on those ideas. Lacking in continuity and clear execution.

Advice to Management

Slow down, develope your plan and stick with that plans execution. I understand outsourcing, but stop outsourcing your vision. The vision should be sourced internally, not externally.

RSS Feed </> Embed