Sungard Availability Services

Updated August 11, 2014

2.8

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern
Andrew A. Stern

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization (in 14 reviews)

• great place to learn new skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management has only been with the company 3 years or less (in 20 reviews)

• Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great working enviornment!

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Carlstadt, NJ

Pros

Learned new Technologies as they came down the pike.Had to adapt to new customers IT requirments. In 2009 as the sr. System Engineer I was the vangaurd in implementing 36 HP Integrity Itanium Servers for a major Health/Pharmaceutical clint for Sungard. This included Visio and Excel Sheets for documentation. Participate in the 911 disaster recovery of major Corporations for their Hewlett Packard IT Environments. Was well compensate both in salary and weeks of vacation. The customer was always put first.

Cons

On call 24/7. Some times had to fly out to different SunGard site, due to disasters or staffing issues.

I am a diligent and dedicated team player with strong organizational and personal skills.

Great organization Great people

Pros

I worked as a contractor and the people and the organization treated me professionally and courteously. In my short time there I was impressed with the culture and the direction of the organization

Cons

I saw no real drawbacks in my short time at Sungard AS

Unethical

Current Employee - Senior IT Solution Architect  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior IT Solution Architect in Miami, FL

Pros

The promised rate was high and the client was a well known large company.

Cons

I was hired as a contractor on a 12+ mo contract. I received an offer letter with a start date after passing multiple interviews, background, drug and reference checks. I resigned from my full time job for this opportunity.

The day before my start, I received a call saying the SungardAS acct manager was out sick and wanted to be present with me at the client on my first day. they asked if I would please start on the following Monday. No problem... We played this game for 3 weeks. I was finally told that there was no position-- Sunguard did not get the contract with the client. This left me without my original job and any immediate prospects going forward. There was no followup by SungardAS to help remediate the situation with positions from other clients-- no communication at all.

In 20 years of professional IT, I have never heard of any company doing anything like this, not to mention a brand name such as this. Something is seriously wrong with Sungard's account management and human resources.

This is a small market and people will remember... A company's reputation is everything.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Customers and Great Service offering with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Wayne, PA

Pros

Work life balance, virtual office option, compensation, flex time, some travel. The service we offer is very valuable and you get an opportunity to impact a customer immediately in a positive way.

Cons

Career path is not as clear cut depending on your position. The company does not provide a credit card for travel so everything is out of pocket and reimbursed which can be tough if you travel more than a week at a time.

Strike a deal with American Express or another card company and move towards a company credit card for customer facing roles.

Challenging work environment

Pros

Challenging can be a positive - each day is different, you need to use your brain, the people you work with are smart and hard-working.

Cons

Challenging can also be a negative - passive/aggressive management, lack of consistency, very opaque decision-making.

Very suitable place for women..

Pros

Management is always encouraging and supportive... very good place to work .. colleaues have become like family.. i love working here

Cons

pay, pay, pay .. no bonus for 2 years now .. utilization is not met .. company not doing well

hire more technical people than managers... who is gonna do work?

Chaos

Pros

Small company so individual impact can be significant

Cons

Not profitable, morale is horrible, inter-departmental cooperation is non-exisitent

Replace much of the senior management

Sales

Pros

People. The sales teams and operations teams truly want to provide the right solution to the customers. They have a can do attitude.

Cons

Upper management not accessible. Manage with the stick. Company continues to cut staff and not invest in future product development.

Listen to your people. Allow open communications, not just what you want to hear. Don't just worry about your exit strategy. Use to have a terrific culture.

Great Company to work for

Pros

Worked with an incredible group of people for several years, loved the perks employees got, not to mention the excellent benefits package provided by SunGard.

Cons

I felt that the company was not so supportive of it's employees on several levels. I also felt that after the buyout and the company went private, it spent money on unnecessary things, like trips to vegas, AC, etc.

Administrator

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Worked with knowledgeable people that know what they are doing....for the most part.

Cons

Job not challenging enough for personnel.

Create a more challenging environment

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!