Sungard Availability Services

Updated October 16, 2014
2.7

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern
Andrew A. Stern

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization (in 20 reviews)

• The majority of employees are great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture that upper management has created doesn't bodge well for long-term success (in 22 reviews)

• Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst corporate experience...glad I moved on!

Former Employee - Consultant in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great peers. Good career opportunities since many people leave.

Cons

Worst management and corporate culture. Lack of vision. Rampant favoritism while ignoring real issues. Big corporation feeling. Revolving doors. It's hard to recommend it to a friend.

Build a more progressive corporation. Allow employees to be innovative. Hold everyone accountable for THEIR productivity as well as short comings. Hopefully better days are ahead.

Great Place if you are Dumb

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for IT team and they are allergic to smart people.Their ERP system was build 15 years back and people want to keep them engaged in fixing the issues.

Cons

Great place if you turn off your brain and say 'Yes' to everything. The biggest challenge in this company is the non-competent, non-technical directors who will not get any job if they quit Sungard AS. This company is not ready for change so I expect them to fail/sold in next 2-3 years

Please hire smart leadership

Great work-family balance culture, great employees, promotes inward mobility, stable company, your opinions matter!

Current Employee - Current Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Coming to work is not a burden. If you have to be away from your family/children, you are happy to come to Sungard Availability Services. Managers are focused on working with employee's career growth strategies and always offering encouragement to do more. There is plenty of opportunity to grow and stay current on new technologies. Work Hard, Play Hard Culture. Great people and professional organization. I would recommended to anyone in the IT field who is seasoned or just starting a career. No better place to work!

Cons

Sungard Availability Services offers many opportunities for career advancement and career training. I cannot think of any reason not to consider.

Unethical senior management at the Philadelphia location

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There's an opportunity for exposure to a broad variety of technology. If you align yourself with the "right" people you can have a long career there.

Cons

I was exposed to numerous examples of unprofessionalism while there. Sr management is good at getting things done unfortunately sometimes their methods are questionable. Very autocratic culture lacking in people skills.

The current Sr Management in Philadelphia needs to understand the role and importance of having "people" skills. Anyone can manage through intimidation. Too many good managers, with the required skills and temperament, have been let go. They need to develop the proper balance between technical skills and social skills.

Not a bad place to work if you don't mind office politics

Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to a lot of technology, opportunities to get involved in a lot of projects, the occasional recognition, ability to move up

Cons

Salary is so-so, too many chiefs, company isn't in it to win it, product managers often cater to the 1% rather than the 80%

Invest in people who want to make a difference. Stop playing catch-up - you have a lot of talented people working there. Listen to them!

Unethical

Current Employee - Senior IT Solution Architect in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior IT Solution Architect in Miami, FL

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The promised rate was high and the client was a well known large company.

Cons

I was hired as a contractor on a 12+ mo contract. I received an offer letter with a start date after passing multiple interviews, background, drug and reference checks. I resigned from my full time job for this opportunity.

The day before my start, I received a call saying the SungardAS acct manager was out sick and wanted to be present with me at the client on my first day. they asked if I would please start on the following Monday. No problem... We played this game for 3 weeks. I was finally told that there was no position-- Sunguard did not get the contract with the client. This left me without my original job and any immediate prospects going forward. There was no followup by SungardAS to help remediate the situation with positions from other clients-- no communication at all.

In 20 years of professional IT, I have never heard of any company doing anything like this, not to mention a brand name such as this. Something is seriously wrong with Sungard's account management and human resources.

This is a small market and people will remember... A company's reputation is everything.

It was a great working enviornment!

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Carlstadt, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Carlstadt, NJ

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learned new Technologies as they came down the pike.Had to adapt to new customers IT requirments. In 2009 as the sr. System Engineer I was the vangaurd in implementing 36 HP Integrity Itanium Servers for a major Health/Pharmaceutical clint for Sungard. This included Visio and Excel Sheets for documentation. Participate in the 911 disaster recovery of major Corporations for their Hewlett Packard IT Environments. Was well compensate both in salary and weeks of vacation. The customer was always put first.

Cons

On call 24/7. Some times had to fly out to different SunGard site, due to disasters or staffing issues.

I am a diligent and dedicated team player with strong organizational and personal skills.

Great organization Great people

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services as a contractor

Pros

I worked as a contractor and the people and the organization treated me professionally and courteously. In my short time there I was impressed with the culture and the direction of the organization

Cons

I saw no real drawbacks in my short time at Sungard AS

Great Customers and Great Service offering with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance, virtual office option, compensation, flex time, some travel. The service we offer is very valuable and you get an opportunity to impact a customer immediately in a positive way.

Cons

Career path is not as clear cut depending on your position. The company does not provide a credit card for travel so everything is out of pocket and reimbursed which can be tough if you travel more than a week at a time.

Strike a deal with American Express or another card company and move towards a company credit card for customer facing roles.

Challenging work environment

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

Challenging can be a positive - each day is different, you need to use your brain, the people you work with are smart and hard-working.

Cons

Challenging can also be a negative - passive/aggressive management, lack of consistency, very opaque decision-making.

Sungard Availability Services Photos

View of the mountain from the office

+ Add Photo