Sungard Availability Services

www.sungardas.com
Profile Unclaimed

Recent Re-Org was a case of Fire, Ready, Aim.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management finally realized they needed to align their lines of business. Theoretically, this will improve hybrid solution ideas and development. Work-life balance can be found as long as you are flexible. The company has a decent customer base and is working on building competencies, especially for complex IT solutions. Compensation is fair, as are benefits.

Cons

Too much change going on at once makes it difficult to know how to get things done. Politics have come into play. Product development isn't held accountable for their results. Certain teams are critical to success and yet remain starved from resource and investment. Management doesn't seem to know how where bottlenecks exist to address constraints.

While the re-org will eventually align efforts more efficiently, it also took on too much change at once. Global alignment, ITIL organization structure changes on top of consolidated products is causing too much distraction at a time when there's a need for focus. Senior management changes brought in new leadership who did not have enough understanding of how much change they were about to inflict. Senior management should have planned these changes and listened to a managers across lines of business before pulling the trigger.

Recognize the teams which are bottlenecks in our solution pipeline and give them help. This would accelerate our go to market strategy.

Decent place to build an IT sales resume

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services

Pros

Money is pretty good. Great training.

Cons

Bad tools. Management in constant state of flux. High turnover.

It is what you make of it

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you demonstrate that you can handle responsibility, you'll get it, assuming you have a good manager.

Cons

If you're ambitious, management role vacancies are few and far between.

Communication from the top down are few and far between. We hear from the CEO once a quarter, but in between him and the individual contributors, the business objectives of the managers are a mystery.

Positive

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time

Pros

The majority of employees are great people.

Cons

Salary freezes have impacted moral.

Its great to work for

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services

Pros

Tons of mobility and growth

Cons

Nothing I could have thought of

Great place to work until new management showed up.

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a decent work environment, great team.

Cons

Management changes caused major disruption. Large part of the team ended up quitting (The manager that caused the disruption ended up leaving the company shortly after the team was disbanded)

I negotiated contracts for the companies numerous service offerings.

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent work/life balance, great coworkers in my department, not a stuffy corporate environment.

Cons

The company leadership changed while I was there and the new leadership team struggled to find its footing and seemed to be steering the company in a direction that I did not like. Leadership changed again after I left and I've heard it is a much better environment there now.

The managers and SMEs were very helpful. They enabled me to successfully complete the project

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Thornton, CO
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Thornton, CO

I worked at Sungard Availability Services as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was hired to help identify metadata to apply to files to improve the search engine, and to apply the metadata and improve their library structure. The managers, SMEs, and support people I worked with were extremely helpful and cooperative. Without their timely help, the project couldn't have been completed and access to their documentation would not have been improved.

Cons

There wasn't the budget for me to continue or to find another project there. I would have liked to continue there.

Down Hill

Former Employee - Recovery Specialist II in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Recovery Specialist II in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fellow workers were very talented.

Cons

Same as every company Management are on ego trips playing follow the leader, There aren't Many Born Leaders, they don't realize how much respect they lose by being puppets.

Listen to your people, try to swallow your pride and listen.

Good natured people doing good work

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Everybody is eager to help and see you succeed

Cons

tough to get them to move forward on a posting for a new opening

If its open fill it there are plenty of out of work people to pick up the slack where entry level people have moved up from.

Sungard Availability Services Photos

View of the mountain from the office

+ Add Photo