Sungard Availability Services

Updated July 16, 2014

2.8

Sungard Availability Services CEO Andrew A. Stern
Andrew A. Stern

Pros
  • Work-life balance is decent, but only b/c there is no urgency or direction in the organization (in 14 reviews)

• great place to learn new skills (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management has only been with the company 3 years or less (in 20 reviews)

• Senior management out of touch with the actual impediments to performing the work (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I negotiated contracts for the companies numerous service offerings.

Former Employee - Contract Specialist  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent work/life balance, great coworkers in my department, not a stuffy corporate environment.

Cons

The company leadership changed while I was there and the new leadership team struggled to find its footing and seemed to be steering the company in a direction that I did not like. Leadership changed again after I left and I've heard it is a much better environment there now.

Worst corporate experience...glad I moved on!

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great peers. Good career opportunities since many people leave.

Cons

Worst management and corporate culture. Lack of vision. Rampant favoritism while ignoring real issues. Big corporation feeling. Revolving doors. It's hard to recommend it to a friend.

Build a more progressive corporation. Allow employees to be innovative. Hold everyone accountable for THEIR productivity as well as short comings. Hopefully better days are ahead.

Great Place if you are Dumb

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for IT team and they are allergic to smart people.Their ERP system was build 15 years back and people want to keep them engaged in fixing the issues.

Cons

Great place if you turn off your brain and say 'Yes' to everything. The biggest challenge in this company is the non-competent, non-technical directors who will not get any job if they quit Sungard AS. This company is not ready for change so I expect them to fail/sold in next 2-3 years

Please hire smart leadership

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Customers and Great Service offering with lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Service Delivery Manager in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, virtual office option, compensation, flex time, some travel. The service we offer is very valuable and you get an opportunity to impact a customer immediately in a positive way.

Cons

Career path is not as clear cut depending on your position. The company does not provide a credit card for travel so everything is out of pocket and reimbursed which can be tough if you travel more than a week at a time.

Strike a deal with American Express or another card company and move towards a company credit card for customer facing roles.

Micromanagement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some really nice people work there.

Cons

General frustration overall in several departments.

Don't micromanage. It's anti-productive and discouraging for any employee. Empower them to be the adults that they are and let them feel like they know what they are doing.

Good work culture but compensation leaves a bit to be desired

Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work culture promotes a healthy work/life balance. The sales organization is fairly well run with not much micro management

Cons

The total compensation for sales people is not on par with similar IT Services companies

Offer an increased salary commesurate with experience and/or tenure, increase on target earnings by 20% - 25%, and adjust the commission plan to REALLY incentify the focus on incremental revenue

On it's way up.

Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Specialist in Wayne, PA

Pros

Flexability, ability to manage your own workload, the people I work with.

Cons

Communication from Upper Management. Compensation.

Keep working on it. This company and it's employees have the ability to make Sungard a great place to work!

Tumultuous disappointing ride to nowhere.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Wayne, PA

Pros

You get a paycheck that doesn't bounce. You get exposed to very interesting technical issues made by folkd not following best practices even loosely.

Cons

If you are a competent technical Engineer working here will frustrate you. Managers are picked randomly and have little technical knowledge. Often picked using the buddy system. I have had 5 new managers in the past year. Managers parade employees, who have historically been responsible for crippling technical blunders, in front of the CEO touting them as heroes who saved the company from the unresolved issues they created themselves. Those employees are subsequently made into incompetent managers.

Find some folks that know computer stuff.

Favoritism at its worst. Management hired their best buddies, and treated seasoned incumbents like dog-meat.

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

telecommuting as an option, job flexibility

Cons

management asleep at the wheel, never prepared at meetings, running late asking for materials sent prior constantly. "do as I say not as I do" was the motto.

hold managers accountable for their own work, not simply how well they report on their staff's projects

Exercise Caution!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Sungard Availability Services as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flex hours are allowed, lending better work/life balance.

Cons

Unprofessional and sometimes hostile behavior is demonstrated by employees, to include some at the management level. This is one of the most disorganized places I have ever worked.

Unprofessional behavior is at the management level and is allowed to continue. This should be addressed.

Worked for Sungard Availability Services? Contribute to the Community!