Sungevity

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.9

Andrew Birch

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, great mission, great values (in 6 reviews)

• Fun company culture with a lot of people that really care about their jobs (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant fear of downsizing, sales team is increasingly micromanaged and overworked (in 4 reviews)

• Challenging to achieve sponsorship in senior management to get opportunities to grow (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great so far!

I have been working at Sungevity

Pros

Management and supervisors very helpful!

Cons

no cons as of yet

The best company I have ever worked for with a very bright future.

Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity

Pros

Mission driven company that really cares about its employees. Its a very fast-paced work environment with constant change and growth. A lot of opportunity to move up or laterally in the organization as it continues to grow.

Cons

Rapid growth is exciting but can be exhausting. Be ready for constant change.

Continue to source ideas from your ground level employees as the company grows.

An Interesting Place to See Grow and Develop

Current Employee - Remote Solar Designer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Remote Solar Designer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you get good at the position, it is pretty much a guaranteed 9-6 job. Maybe on the busiest season you might have to stay later, but even then the RSD department is handled very well and overtime is at a minimum.

The benefits are very good and there is a bonus structure put in place despite it being changed after each quarter.

The managers in the department are very supportive and helpful, and the people within the department are friendly and approachable. In all, the current people in RSD make a very good team.

In all, it is a nice environment to work in most of the time. It is also interesting to see how rapidly the industry is growing (in the span of my employment staffing has more than doubled).

Cons

This may not be a con to all people, but it is a repetitive job (this is partly why you can feel comfortable about not having to work extra hours once you're experienced). In the beginning you only have the skills to perform one task, but over time you'll be trained in other skills that help break the monotonous workday.

Another possible con is that since it is a growing industry there are changes that can happen daily. What you learned one day may no longer be valid in a matter of hours, so if you like only having to learn one thing once then this will frustrate you. Also, some staff at HR make it very difficult to try and expand your career within the company.

*NOTE* for "Recommend this employer to a friend" I would like to add additional notes for people interested in the position.

I would recommend this position to a friend if they like things that are predictable, stable, and methodical. While the rules may change a lot, the underlying method of everyday work never changes. While the hours may be flexible and the bonuses may be appealing, if you do not like doing the same thing over and over again it may begin to frustrate you down the road. In addition, it is difficult to try and move out of this department anywhere besides a sales-related position.

For the sake of the company it would be good to change the way HR handles meetings with people inside their own company. It is not healthy to discourage and drive employees out of the company by shutting down their ability to further invest in the company by changing positions.

Great mission and team

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's great to work for a company whose mission you really believe in; Sungevity is doing great things for the global community, local communities, and it's employee community. The people are also super friendly and upbeat. Best company I've worked for!

Cons

None to report - have really enjoyed working here

keep shinin' on!

Fun, fast paced and rewarding.

Former Employee - Solar Sales Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you like a start up vibe they do their best to maintain that atmosphere. Satisfaction in being part of the green revolution. Working for a mission oriented company. The people who work here are terrific. A very diverse group of people from different cultural backgrounds and a good representation of various age groups.

Cons

If you can't stand a fast paced environment with lots of changes this may not be the place for you. If you're in sales and they hire you and a bunch of people during the peak season (April to August) they will lay you off when things slow down dramatically around Oct/Nov if your sales are not relative to the rest of the team. But that's the nature of sales so no biggie if you understand and are prepared for that.

Be a little more transparent with the team in terms of the sales cycles. Let employees know ahead of time that you need to ramp up hiring during peak season and let people go during the off season. If you did that and told the people who were let go that they could come back next season you might reduce your HR expenses.

Part Time Solar Sales At Lowes

Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor in Riverside, CA

I worked at Sungevity part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its very good pay for this position if you hit the quotas, you're are given the freedom to work on your own. Management for the most part is supportive and do their best to help

Cons

Between in dealing with the Lowes management and the public it can be very challenging, you are required to stand on hard concrete floors which is the final reason I left I was not allowed to sit at all.even though I hit quotas most months.

The management is very young with little experience in managing people.

Great place to work, if you make the right political choices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity full-time

Pros

Almost everyone at Sungevity honestly wants to make the world a better place through solar. The atmosphere is friendly and folks are pretty focused on what needs to get done. If you have a good idea it's pretty likely someone will listen and give you a chance to try it. The tech team is reasonably competent.

Cons

It's a politically tense place - you have to make sure you are perceived to be on the right "team". There is lots of stress between the big picture marketing vision and the day to day sales and operations. When money is good this isn't a problem, but when money is tight it gets ugly. And money is often tight - Sungevity has had to stop work due to money concerns more than once (making for an interesting customer service situation). Add to that a technology team that prioritizes work based on which executive squeals the loudest and you have a recipe for frustration.

Figure your internal battles out and present a united front to the company, with more detail on why you've made a decision rather than just what that decision is. The C-suite is at odds with each other and the CEO is often excited about strategic projects that get de-prioritized by the operations team and therefore not done. It would save a lot of energy if you would stop the oneupmanship and concentrate on growing the business.

Fun, internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity

Pros

- Exciting company culture
    - Great co-workers
    - Not too busy but you don't feel like you're standing around doing nothing

Cons

- Lack of organization sometimes on the part of the company
    - Minimal pay (although I suppose it's fairly normal for this kind of internship)

- Be a bit more organized

Great company to grow with

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Wonderful people, I've made so many lasting friendships and made connections with incredibly talented, smart individuals
    -Healthcare benefits and office perks are awesome
    -Room to grow in your career. I started in Sales and was able to switch to a different department when I started to get antsy to try something new. Although it did take time and persistence to get where I am, I feel like it was good that I had to prove myself first and deserve/appreciate what I have.
    -Company parties are always a blast
    -I've been really well compensated at Sungevity. I'm not a millionaire but the salary seems to be above the median for the industry and compared to friends that work in other fields I feel I'm doing well for my age.

Cons

-The culture on the sales team has shifted pretty dramatically and can be fratty at times
    -Communication could be improved between the different departments. It takes lot of different people to get a customer installed and it can be frustrating when someone drops the ball. I think the company could do more to embrace a "team" atmosphere

Don't lose sight of why you started this company... The mission is invaluable but the people are even more important as they are the ones that carry that through. As Sungevity grows it's really important to continue to take care of your employees and do right by them, that's the biggest differentiator that will separate you from the competition.

Best company I've worked for so far

Current Employee - RSA-Retail Solar Advisor in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - RSA-Retail Solar Advisor in Dover, DE

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

What I like most about this company is it is not just about making money. These people really care about renewable energy and being a giant part of the solar revolution. They provide great customer service and take excellent care of their employees.

Since I work in the field, mostly alone, and on the retail aspect of it, my mentality can be pushed down and broken sometimes. This company, which includes my bosses, hr, similar coworkers, even founders, help me keep me doing my job well and loving what I do. They seem to know just when we need an uplifting speech or a break or group meeting so that we can continue doing our best at helping our customers find a way to learn more about their options in going solar.

Cons

My position can be very hard sometimes. Sometimes, I feel like the goals they put on us are great, but they can also be crazy high. Our customer growth has been ridiculous, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way.

Being in the field on the opposite coast of the office, we lose a lot of the same kind of team feeling and benefits of being in the office. We do team meetings every quarter, but I wish there was more opportunity to feel more included with the company and its culture.

Opportunites past RSA. I would love to stay with this company for as long as possible, if not forever. However, there is practically no opportunity to advance past my position anywhere remotely close to where I currently live. Just picking up and leaving to across country is not really an option for me at the moment, but I would love to move past the RSA position. RSA's get burnt out very quickly and this is definitely not a forever position.

I think there needs to be more opportunity for advancement and growth, specifically for field teams. Getting promoted is awesome and there are a very select few chances for promotion. However, not everyone wants to continue working in the field. I think our managers or HR should every few months check in, see what we are looking forward to as career goals, and help us find a way to get there.