Sungevity

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
3.7

Andrew Birch

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, great mission, great values (in 6 reviews)

• Fun company culture with a lot of people that really care about their jobs (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant fear of downsizing, sales team is increasingly micromanaged and overworked (in 4 reviews)

• Challenging to achieve sponsorship in senior management to get opportunities to grow (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, internship experience

Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity

Pros

- Exciting company culture
    - Great co-workers
    - Not too busy but you don't feel like you're standing around doing nothing

Cons

- Lack of organization sometimes on the part of the company
    - Minimal pay (although I suppose it's fairly normal for this kind of internship)

- Be a bit more organized

Great company to grow with

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Wonderful people, I've made so many lasting friendships and made connections with incredibly talented, smart individuals
    -Healthcare benefits and office perks are awesome
    -Room to grow in your career. I started in Sales and was able to switch to a different department when I started to get antsy to try something new. Although it did take time and persistence to get where I am, I feel like it was good that I had to prove myself first and deserve/appreciate what I have.
    -Company parties are always a blast
    -I've been really well compensated at Sungevity. I'm not a millionaire but the salary seems to be above the median for the industry and compared to friends that work in other fields I feel I'm doing well for my age.

Cons

-The culture on the sales team has shifted pretty dramatically and can be fratty at times
    -Communication could be improved between the different departments. It takes lot of different people to get a customer installed and it can be frustrating when someone drops the ball. I think the company could do more to embrace a "team" atmosphere

Don't lose sight of why you started this company... The mission is invaluable but the people are even more important as they are the ones that carry that through. As Sungevity grows it's really important to continue to take care of your employees and do right by them, that's the biggest differentiator that will separate you from the competition.

Best company I've worked for so far

Current Employee - RSA-Retail Solar Advisor in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - RSA-Retail Solar Advisor in Dover, DE

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

What I like most about this company is it is not just about making money. These people really care about renewable energy and being a giant part of the solar revolution. They provide great customer service and take excellent care of their employees.

Since I work in the field, mostly alone, and on the retail aspect of it, my mentality can be pushed down and broken sometimes. This company, which includes my bosses, hr, similar coworkers, even founders, help me keep me doing my job well and loving what I do. They seem to know just when we need an uplifting speech or a break or group meeting so that we can continue doing our best at helping our customers find a way to learn more about their options in going solar.

Cons

My position can be very hard sometimes. Sometimes, I feel like the goals they put on us are great, but they can also be crazy high. Our customer growth has been ridiculous, but that doesn't mean it will always be that way.

Being in the field on the opposite coast of the office, we lose a lot of the same kind of team feeling and benefits of being in the office. We do team meetings every quarter, but I wish there was more opportunity to feel more included with the company and its culture.

Opportunites past RSA. I would love to stay with this company for as long as possible, if not forever. However, there is practically no opportunity to advance past my position anywhere remotely close to where I currently live. Just picking up and leaving to across country is not really an option for me at the moment, but I would love to move past the RSA position. RSA's get burnt out very quickly and this is definitely not a forever position.

I think there needs to be more opportunity for advancement and growth, specifically for field teams. Getting promoted is awesome and there are a very select few chances for promotion. However, not everyone wants to continue working in the field. I think our managers or HR should every few months check in, see what we are looking forward to as career goals, and help us find a way to get there.

Overall, fairly excellent. Hands down the best culture of any company I've worked for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people and environment in the Oakland office, with a lot of smart people trying to bring renewable energy to the world. Company believes in promoting from within; if you show you're competent and can do the work, you'll move up. Health, dental & vision completely paid for.

Cons

Fast-growing company in a young industry, so roles, responsibilities and tactics change on the fly. Challenging to keep up.

The mission driven culture is awesome....

Current Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture at Sungevity is awesome and is super employee-centric! The company hires smart people that have an amazing dedication to giving their customers a great experience, while following the company's mission of bringing affordable solar power to the people. My managers have always been very supportive and appreciate, which is a rare combination in the business world today. There is a tremendous amount of growth potential at Sungevity too. I love going to work everyday!

Cons

The company is growing quite rapidly. You need to be able to thrive in a fast paced environment!

I love the regular communication to the organization from our management team ( from the CEO down) and the transparency! I hope as the company continues to grow, they can keep it up.

Part Time Retail Solar Advisor Work

Current Employee - Retail Solar Advisor in Hillsborough, NJ
    Current Employee - Retail Solar Advisor in Hillsborough, NJ

I have been working at Sungevity (less than an year)

Pros

The best pay rate you can have by only working part time! Great management staff. My superiors have always been very supportive and always there to help me out with any problems I have encountered in the field.

Cons

The nature of the work can sometimes be very difficult. As the job includes dealing with mass amounts of people everyday, sometimes those people can be very rude. Overcoming objects and dealing with abrasive customers is something trying.

FT- RSA position good temporary job, but no career

Current Employee - RSA in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - RSA in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nobel, inspiring, energetic, charismatic- top level leadership. Company car, gas. Good benefits. If you live in a state with favorable solar incentives and generous net-metering policy's (Mass & NY) this is an easy job.

Cons

Low salary- breaks down to $14.32 per hour. No stock options/ profit-sharing. My commission on a $40,000 system sale was, ($125- before taxes). No weekend days off (ever). No room for advancement unless willing to move to Oakland CA. Not allowed to drive company car during non working hours. If you live in a state with less favorable solar incentives and poor net-metering policy's this is going to be a tough job that pays poorly. If you have student loans, have a family, have a mortgage, or you live in an expensive area you will not survive with the full time RSA pay. I find it humorous they require a college education for this position, it's not even possible to live in the North East and pay student loans on the RSA income. This is a blue color job. You literally are standing behind a table promoting solar energy like any other "home installation service" Lowes or home depot offers, (windows, doors, garage door installs). Sungevity arms you with a folding table, table cloth and a small non-functioning solar panel as a visual display and expects 125 leads a month and 6 sales.

I hope my personal experience doesn't negatively impact Sungevity or turn off men and women in need of a decent job. The RSA position is certainly a decent temporary job, but it will not be long term career for the vast majority that take the position. Perfect job for independently wealthy people of any age looking for something to do with their time.

Stop sending RSAs to get leads during snow storms and harsh weather conditions. Allow the RSA to come up with their own creative marketing ideas, and or, allow them to spend the day promoting the company on social networking sites on days with terrible weather. Increase RSA pay scale. Stop valuing RSAs on monthly lead totals alone, take into consideration local market conditions. Allow RSAs to develop other lead generating events. RSAs must be given a chance to develop leads in other places besides Lowes. No body can possibility do this job long term unless highly medicated. Give RSAs at least one weekend off per month.

Must know what type of role you are getting into

Former Employee - Retail Solar Advisor in Butler, NJ
    Former Employee - Retail Solar Advisor in Butler, NJ

I worked at Sungevity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Driven employees
    - Passionate people
    - Cool brand and concept
    - That's about it

Cons

Corporate HQ in Oakland was awesome. There is no sense of that type of environment on the east coast.

The attempt at Sungevity's solution in certain areas on the east coast seemed like a shot in the dark by the company. There was little to no success in certain areas and when it is attempted to be relayed to management it's pushed right back on you. They claim that they were all phenomenal areas for sales based on ONLINE interest. Well standing in front of a Lowe's store produces a slightly different clientel.

Hours were brutal. If you're in a hot spot for solar then you make out like a champ. If you happen to be in one of the areas that were a shot in the dark, you're in for long days. You work weekends. They give a company car which is a great perk.

They are more interested in you taking the "Sungevity Pill" and following their ways. They are not looking for trend setters. They are looking for followers.

The east coast launch just seemed premature. I love the concept and the brand. However it was an inevitable failure in some areas. This was obvious from the start

If you are looking for a career with this company, be prepared to hit the unobtainable quota and quickly ship to the west coast. There is no opportunity to advance on the east coast as they don't even have an office out here.

Mission driven and energetic company in an exciting growth industry

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are several amazing reasons why working for Sungevity is great. Here are a few:

What we do contribute to the growth of the renewable energy industry and the opportunity for a huge reduction of carbon output on an individual level.
    Not only is Sungevity a mission driven company, but it's also a B-Corp (www.bcorporation.net) that harnesses the power of business to create change.
    The Executive team communicates openly about the state of the company and what's coming up next.
    Great benefits, with simple and easy to navigate systems built around them.
    Competitive salaries.
    On an individual level you feel like you have an opportunity to succeed here; ideas and initiatives are encouraged, and hard work is rewarded without demanding an 80 hour work week. It's a supportive and truly team oriented environment, and the positive energy flows through the company from top to bottom.

Cons

It's a start-up environment that is constantly changing (both on a company level and on an industry level), and you have to be a flexible person that can work under those type of circumstances. There are still lots of internal processes that can be better and faster, but this is constantly addressed and being worked on.

Keep up the open communication. Continue to hire great people that are a good fit for the role they are taking on.

We're on a rocketship--the ride bouncy and intense--but we're blasting into the stratosphere, what do you expect?

Current Employee - Solar Consultant in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sungevity has a great mission-driven culture, we have missionaries that really care about helping the planet and our customers. But we are also a sales organization with the best pay in the industry, so we have our share of mercenaries as well. A successful organization requires both in my opinion.

There are fantastic benefits that go above and beyond much of what I have had in the past or what I would have received in other roles I interviewed for. Full medical, dental, vision, life insurance, stock options...food in the kitchen and a ping pong table. We have very friendly and helpful HR and admin staff to help make sure you get the best of your FSA, IRA, 401K and every other acronym you can imagine. We focus on hiring referrals of current employees to keep the company culture alive, we have generous vacation and sick time allotments, and a beautiful view of the bay and the SF skyline to boot.

Our leaders are engaged, approachable and know how to get us re-energized, which is important because we work HARD. The sales organization, and in particular top performers, work WAY more than your usual 9-5, no beating around that bush. But the good news is the pay definitely makes it worth the extra effort.

I was also promoted a year after being hired and over those 12 months I have seen a number of my colleagues change roles and transition into other departments, get raises/promotions, take on leadership responsibilities etc. They make a point to keep people onboard and happy, by providing growth opportunities and changes for people who need a change

Cons

As awesome of a company as Sungevity is it does have its kinks. There is a divide between front and back of house, both literally in that we are housed in separate buildings, and figuratively as sales and operations tend to socialize amongst themselves. This gap can be closed organically, but more proactive effort on the senior management and executive level would be a more effective way of getting us to all feel like one unified team.

We work in a field that is quickly changing, there is also a number of hiccups that occur as a result. Changed procedures or policies, interdepartmental gaps in knowledge of the most up to date information from other sections of the business, lapses in financing as a result of this changing industry that lead to angry customers for a period of time... These are all things that need to be fixed and avoided in the future. The finances seem to have been worked out, but working on the distance between front and back of house, building out a more robust training program for other roles (my training was excellent), and increasing internal communication paths would all go far to helping this company be as successful as possible

Get 66 and 55 more aligned, engaged with each other and just generally more united. Create more streamlined processes and define KPIs to allow people to grow into other roles so that when going into a role you can see a clearly delineated path to the next step (from TSA to PM or SC, from team member to team lead, etc.) if certain criteria are met.