Sungevity

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Andrew Birch

Great solar company!

Design and Engineering Specialist (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsGood values, great CEO, great mission

ConsHighly competitive field of solar, have to increase production every so often.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore software, more software, more software

Great Company, Great Employees

Technical Solar Associate (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

Pros- The best office culture I could ask for as a young professional. Everyone maintains a high level of dedication and hard work on the job, yet can also maintain a very fun work environment.
    - With the company growing so fast, the training for new employees is better than ever. The training I went through fully prepared me for my position at Sungevity. I believe the company is very structured even while experiencing such rapid growth. Props to management.
    - Working at Sungevity comes along with the excitement of working in such a hot industry with very bright minds. I have enjoyed every minute on the job so far.

Cons- Can be a grind at certain points on the job, but that comes with anything in life.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work with training and adapting to rapid growth! I respect how well the training has gone.

Solar Sales Associate

Solar Sales Associate (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsExcellent and extensive training program. Very positive work environment with a relatively flat employment structure. Employees from various levels of the company are willing to chat with you on a daily basis and inform you of their job roles. Catered dinners bi-monthly, snacks, ping-pong available.

ConsThe time it takes to progress to the next level of employment is relatively long. If you're satisfied with your position it is fine, but if you're looking to make vertical moves throughout the company, you have to put in time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Poor Mid-Level Management

Operations (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsWorking in the solar industry has great long term opportunities. Office environment is good.

Cons- Unfortunately, to advance in the industry most Sungevity employees need to put in some time here and then move on.
    - Those responsible for career development are not supportive of employee goals and have been know to trivialize employee frustration with lack of career mobility within the company.
    - The focus on "hitting the numbers" goes too far. The intense focus on the quantitative without also focusing on the qualitative and human factors will hurt the the long term bottom line. This also leads to employee burnout and staff not actually performing as well as they could, were the quantitative and qualitative metrics more in balance.

Advice to Senior Management- Value the unique strengths of individual employees and develop them. The current employee development process is clearly lip-service to that concept.
    - At the very high management level, there seems to be sincerity. But lower down the management chain there are yes-men (and women) that lack creativity and seem primarily concerned with making the bosses happy, to the long-term detriment of the company's stated core values and mission.
    - There is too much top down decision making and not enough input is accepted from the rank and file workers that see the good and bad with the day-to-day processes. Whether you know it or not, the middle and lower level managers are working too hard to please you, but not working hard enough to solve real problems.

Awesome

ProsGreat atmosphere, great mission, great values

ConsCompetitive. Don't have many complaints

Supportive company

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsGood training on the solar industry and technology before starting work. Very friendly and fun environment. Didn't dread going to work every day.

ConsSometimes unclear on what direction the company was going. Sales positions can be taxing, but they did everything they could to make it a positive environment rather than draining, cut throat one.

Great vision and drive

ProsFounders are great people and really believe in what they are doing and how they are doing it

ConsGrowing fast, lots of bumps in the road along the way

Advice to Senior ManagementStay close to the "little people" to keep them all involved and motivated

Like many others, couldn't make it through the glass ceiling.

Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsMany talented and motivated folks working at the ground floor of the company.
    Well-organized software engineering team executing great products with a cool vision.
    The customers are really amazing people.
    Exposure to Sfuncube businesses is a great bonus.
    Offices are well appointed and located in Jack London Square with nice restaurants, activities, and estuary-side walking trail.

ConsLittle if no opportunity for advancement.
    No clear career paths.
    Many of the mid-level managers are inexperienced about what management is and thus don't help their reports with career planning.
    Challenging to achieve sponsorship in senior management to get opportunities to grow.
    Hard on aspirational female employees; many left not finding advancement opportunities.

Advice to Senior Management*You really need someone at the VP level with construction/engineering/code experience, especially in solar, to round out the viewpoints/expertise in your team.
    *Please spend more time engaging the analysts to work together to bring data to the table to help move the company forward in a scientifically responsible way.
    *Realize that design is the product of solar. Focus on getting design right and having it inform everything else in the customer experience and you'll fix a lot of the issues that plague operations.
    *Break down the boy's club.

It was awesome!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people
    Great mission
    Great customers
    A business striving for longevity

Cons-there is nothing bad about this company

A very well oil machine!

Retail Solar Advisor (Current Employee) Toms River, NJ

ProsColleagues are always positive! Great founders, with a great story, and a great team to support the cause!

ConsNo cons! Literally, not one yet. Maybe just that Jack London Square is 3,000 miles away from New Jersey?

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice, I think these guys have it figured out. I'm extremely blessed to be apart of this company.

Worked for Sungevity? Contribute to the Community!