Sungevity

Updated February 21, 2015
Updated February 21, 2015
4.0

Andrew Birch

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, great mission, great values (in 6 reviews)

• Fun company culture with a lot of people that really care about their jobs (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Constant fear of downsizing, sales team is increasingly micromanaged and overworked (in 4 reviews)

• Challenging to achieve sponsorship in senior management to get opportunities to grow (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, Wild Ride

Current Employee - Solar Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

We're a bunch of smart, passionate people who have a lot of fun while at work. The start up culture keeps you engaged and the industry is booming which makes it fun to see how your work has a direct result.

Cons

Departments don't communicate well with each other but that's the nature of a start up I suppose.

Don't let our desire to maintain/spread our culture interfere with scaling the business.

Most amazing place to work

Former Employee - Solar Consultant
    Former Employee - Solar Consultant

I worked at Sungevity

Pros

I loved working here so much! The people were so passionate and fun! Everyone really wants to help the world. A young company in terms of people's age, a lot of people in their late 20's which was awesome! The benefits are amazing, and management is outstanding. They listen to you and if you ask enough you get opportunities to act on your ideas. Management is VERY open to ideas.

Cons

Long work hours as a solar consultant, but I knew that going in, they were very upfront about the hours. For the money you make it's very worth it. However after a few years you can get tired which is what happened to me.

Management is great! It's hard for me to think of something, maybe making training sales more consistent, feels like we are left to our own devices after the initial training, which is fine, however I think continual training on skills would be a good thing.

Great company with potential to be a near-perfect one

I have been working at Sungevity full-time

Pros

- Great mission with co-founders and top-level management who truly care about the positive impact this company's making
    - Competitive salary, full benefits, positive culture, plus perks
    - Most managers are receptive to hearing what their direct reports have to say
    - If you're hard-working and smart, there's opportunity for advancement within the company as it grows
    - Lots of smart, friendly people who care about the work they're doing
    - Management is relatively transparent and strives to keep their employees updated on initiatives and company progress
    - The market potential of this industry is huge

Cons

- Some employees complain about the frequent changes, but this is a growth-stage company that requires iteration. If you're not comfortable rolling with the punches, this probably isn't the place for you.
    - There's a lot of silo-ing among teams/departments. People are more focused on getting things off of their desks, when they should be encouraged to think about how their actions (or lack thereof) impact other teams. It causes a lot of unnecessary double-work and inefficiency. More cross-departmental meetings/gatherings need to happen to keep people in the loop and make them comfortable enough to walk up to each other to discuss problems directly.

- Keep hiring smart, passionate people
    - Help employees figure out what their best path for advancement is. I've heard several instances of HR discouraging employees from moving around, which is really shocking. The best companies retain talent by allowing smart people to grow their careers there. At the same time, don't keep people just for the sake of seniority if they're no longer contributing.
    - Do more to engage employees. Give them the opportunity to work on extra projects and contribute ideas. Otherwise, they're most likely going to get bored and disengage. In such a big company, roles are increasingly specialized and therefore monotonous.
    - Please get more software resources if possible

Good company that has lost quite a bit of its soul.

Current Employee - Solar Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people
    Good location in Jack London Square

Cons

Poor Upper Management - unfair practices and favoritism

Great so far!

I have been working at Sungevity

Pros

Management and supervisors very helpful!

Cons

no cons as of yet

The best company I have ever worked for with a very bright future.

Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity

Pros

Mission driven company that really cares about its employees. Its a very fast-paced work environment with constant change and growth. A lot of opportunity to move up or laterally in the organization as it continues to grow.

Cons

Rapid growth is exciting but can be exhausting. Be ready for constant change.

Continue to source ideas from your ground level employees as the company grows.

Fun, fast paced and rewarding.

Former Employee - Solar Sales Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you like a start up vibe they do their best to maintain that atmosphere. Satisfaction in being part of the green revolution. Working for a mission oriented company. The people who work here are terrific. A very diverse group of people from different cultural backgrounds and a good representation of various age groups.

Cons

If you can't stand a fast paced environment with lots of changes this may not be the place for you. If you're in sales and they hire you and a bunch of people during the peak season (April to August) they will lay you off when things slow down dramatically around Oct/Nov if your sales are not relative to the rest of the team. But that's the nature of sales so no biggie if you understand and are prepared for that.

Be a little more transparent with the team in terms of the sales cycles. Let employees know ahead of time that you need to ramp up hiring during peak season and let people go during the off season. If you did that and told the people who were let go that they could come back next season you might reduce your HR expenses.

An Interesting Place to See Grow and Develop

Current Employee - Remote Solar Designer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Remote Solar Designer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you get good at the position, it is pretty much a guaranteed 9-6 job. Maybe on the busiest season you might have to stay later, but even then the RSD department is handled very well and overtime is at a minimum.

The benefits are very good and there is a bonus structure put in place despite it being changed after each quarter.

The managers in the department are very supportive and helpful, and the people within the department are friendly and approachable. In all, the current people in RSD make a very good team.

In all, it is a nice environment to work in most of the time. It is also interesting to see how rapidly the industry is growing (in the span of my employment staffing has more than doubled).

Cons

This may not be a con to all people, but it is a repetitive job (this is partly why you can feel comfortable about not having to work extra hours once you're experienced). In the beginning you only have the skills to perform one task, but over time you'll be trained in other skills that help break the monotonous workday.

Another possible con is that since it is a growing industry there are changes that can happen daily. What you learned one day may no longer be valid in a matter of hours, so if you like only having to learn one thing once then this will frustrate you. Also, some staff at HR make it very difficult to try and expand your career within the company.

*NOTE* for "Recommend this employer to a friend" I would like to add additional notes for people interested in the position.

I would recommend this position to a friend if they like things that are predictable, stable, and methodical. While the rules may change a lot, the underlying method of everyday work never changes. While the hours may be flexible and the bonuses may be appealing, if you do not like doing the same thing over and over again it may begin to frustrate you down the road. In addition, it is difficult to try and move out of this department anywhere besides a sales-related position.

For the sake of the company it would be good to change the way HR handles meetings with people inside their own company. It is not healthy to discourage and drive employees out of the company by shutting down their ability to further invest in the company by changing positions.

Great mission and team

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at Sungevity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's great to work for a company whose mission you really believe in; Sungevity is doing great things for the global community, local communities, and it's employee community. The people are also super friendly and upbeat. Best company I've worked for!

Cons

None to report - have really enjoyed working here

keep shinin' on!

Part Time Solar Sales At Lowes

Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Advisor in Riverside, CA

I worked at Sungevity part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its very good pay for this position if you hit the quotas, you're are given the freedom to work on your own. Management for the most part is supportive and do their best to help

Cons

Between in dealing with the Lowes management and the public it can be very challenging, you are required to stand on hard concrete floors which is the final reason I left I was not allowed to sit at all.even though I hit quotas most months.

The management is very young with little experience in managing people.