Sungevity Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014
3.5

Andrew Birch

Fast moving, agile, smart place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sungevity has a culture unlike any other company I've worked with. We are incredibly fast moving (think startup), agile, and everyone here is incredibly smart! We are changing the way the world thinks and acts, and it is something that I am proud to be apart of each and every day.

Cons

Some people can't deal with the velocity at which we operate---but that's OK because we are on a mission and things move and change quickly.

Mission driven and energetic company in an exciting growth industry

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are several amazing reasons why working for Sungevity is great. Here are a few:

What we do contribute to the growth of the renewable energy industry and the opportunity for a huge reduction of carbon output on an individual level.
    Not only is Sungevity a mission driven company, but it's also a B-Corp (www.bcorporation.net) that harnesses the power of business to create change.
    The Executive team communicates openly about the state of the company and what's coming up next.
    Great benefits, with simple and easy to navigate systems built around them.
    Competitive salaries.
    On an individual level you feel like you have an opportunity to succeed here; ideas and initiatives are encouraged, and hard work is rewarded without demanding an 80 hour work week. It's a supportive and truly team oriented environment, and the positive energy flows through the company from top to bottom.

Cons

It's a start-up environment that is constantly changing (both on a company level and on an industry level), and you have to be a flexible person that can work under those type of circumstances. There are still lots of internal processes that can be better and faster, but this is constantly addressed and being worked on.

Keep up the open communication. Continue to hire great people that are a good fit for the role they are taking on.

Great place to work

I worked at Sungevity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome culture... there's a ton of energy and everyone is motivated by the same goals. Very young crowd means that there's a lot going on.

Cons

Like any startup, it was often resource constrained so it often felt like we were putting in a lot of work to find the cheap way to do something, rather than the fastest/best way to do something.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

We're on a rocketship--the ride bouncy and intense--but we're blasting into the stratosphere, what do you expect?

Current Employee - Solar Consultant  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Consultant in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sungevity has a great mission-driven culture, we have missionaries that really care about helping the planet and our customers. But we are also a sales organization with the best pay in the industry, so we have our share of mercenaries as well. A successful organization requires both in my opinion.

There are fantastic benefits that go above and beyond much of what I have had in the past or what I would have received in other roles I interviewed for. Full medical, dental, vision, life insurance, stock options...food in the kitchen and a ping pong table. We have very friendly and helpful HR and admin staff to help make sure you get the best of your FSA, IRA, 401K and every other acronym you can imagine. We focus on hiring referrals of current employees to keep the company culture alive, we have generous vacation and sick time allotments, and a beautiful view of the bay and the SF skyline to boot.

Our leaders are engaged, approachable and know how to get us re-energized, which is important because we work HARD. The sales organization, and in particular top performers, work WAY more than your usual 9-5, no beating around that bush. But the good news is the pay definitely makes it worth the extra effort.

I was also promoted a year after being hired and over those 12 months I have seen a number of my colleagues change roles and transition into other departments, get raises/promotions, take on leadership responsibilities etc. They make a point to keep people onboard and happy, by providing growth opportunities and changes for people who need a change

Cons

As awesome of a company as Sungevity is it does have its kinks. There is a divide between front and back of house, both literally in that we are housed in separate buildings, and figuratively as sales and operations tend to socialize amongst themselves. This gap can be closed organically, but more proactive effort on the senior management and executive level would be a more effective way of getting us to all feel like one unified team.

We work in a field that is quickly changing, there is also a number of hiccups that occur as a result. Changed procedures or policies, interdepartmental gaps in knowledge of the most up to date information from other sections of the business, lapses in financing as a result of this changing industry that lead to angry customers for a period of time... These are all things that need to be fixed and avoided in the future. The finances seem to have been worked out, but working on the distance between front and back of house, building out a more robust training program for other roles (my training was excellent), and increasing internal communication paths would all go far to helping this company be as successful as possible

Get 66 and 55 more aligned, engaged with each other and just generally more united. Create more streamlined processes and define KPIs to allow people to grow into other roles so that when going into a role you can see a clearly delineated path to the next step (from TSA to PM or SC, from team member to team lead, etc.) if certain criteria are met.

Very inconsiderate and impulsive mid management

I worked at Sungevity full-time

Pros

Latest technologies used. Got to work with some very smart people

Cons

Lot of poor impulsive decisions. No regards for employees personal or professional growth. very inconsiderate MID - management. . I joined the company with lot of enthusiasm but a big let down and very disappointing experience. Would not advice any of my friends to join this place unless they have tons of money stashed away somewhere and it will not affect them at all if they are just asked to leave cos my friends that's what will happen at Sungevity, One fine day you will be asked to leave even if you have been doing good work, if someone close to management decides not to like you.

Watch out for the people in Middle management who have personal favorites. Listen to both parties before pronouncing one guilty and asking him/her to leave.

A great place to be momentarily.

I have been working at Sungevity

Pros

Great culture and work environment. You are in a hot industry with plenty of potential.

Cons

Management severely lacking. Lack of upper level coordination.

Great solar company!

Current Employee - Design and Engineering Specialist  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Design and Engineering Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good values, great CEO, great mission

Cons

Highly competitive field of solar, have to increase production every so often.

More software, more software, more software

Great Company, Great Employees

Current Employee - Technical Solar Associate  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Solar Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The best office culture I could ask for as a young professional. Everyone maintains a high level of dedication and hard work on the job, yet can also maintain a very fun work environment.
    - With the company growing so fast, the training for new employees is better than ever. The training I went through fully prepared me for my position at Sungevity. I believe the company is very structured even while experiencing such rapid growth. Props to management.
    - Working at Sungevity comes along with the excitement of working in such a hot industry with very bright minds. I have enjoyed every minute on the job so far.

Cons

- Can be a grind at certain points on the job, but that comes with anything in life.

Keep up the great work with training and adapting to rapid growth! I respect how well the training has gone.

Solar Sales Associate

Former Employee - Solar Sales Associate  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Solar Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Sungevity as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Excellent and extensive training program. Very positive work environment with a relatively flat employment structure. Employees from various levels of the company are willing to chat with you on a daily basis and inform you of their job roles. Catered dinners bi-monthly, snacks, ping-pong available.

Cons

The time it takes to progress to the next level of employment is relatively long. If you're satisfied with your position it is fine, but if you're looking to make vertical moves throughout the company, you have to put in time.

Very Poor Mid-Level Management

Current Employee - Operations  in  Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Sungevity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working in the solar industry has great long term opportunities. Office environment is good.

Cons

- Unfortunately, to advance in the industry most Sungevity employees need to put in some time here and then move on.
    - Those responsible for career development are not supportive of employee goals and have been know to trivialize employee frustration with lack of career mobility within the company.
    - The focus on "hitting the numbers" goes too far. The intense focus on the quantitative without also focusing on the qualitative and human factors will hurt the the long term bottom line. This also leads to employee burnout and staff not actually performing as well as they could, were the quantitative and qualitative metrics more in balance.

- Value the unique strengths of individual employees and develop them. The current employee development process is clearly lip-service to that concept.
    - At the very high management level, there seems to be sincerity. But lower down the management chain there are yes-men (and women) that lack creativity and seem primarily concerned with making the bosses happy, to the long-term detriment of the company's stated core values and mission.
    - There is too much top down decision making and not enough input is accepted from the rank and file workers that see the good and bad with the day-to-day processes. Whether you know it or not, the middle and lower level managers are working too hard to please you, but not working hard enough to solve real problems.

Worked for Sungevity? Contribute to the Community!