Sunglass Hut International

Sunglass Hut International Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pros
  • free pair if you stay with the company for a year and great employee discount (in 8 reviews)

• Excellent managers; flexible hours; great for part time work (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Single coverage - you work by yourself pretty much all the time, excluding Saturdays (in 7 reviews)

• pairs of glasses while delivering great customer service to multiple customers and working alone (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Very amicable store managers, flexible scheduling.

Retail Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFlexible scheduling, high level of autonomy early.

ConsSome policy micro managing but very little.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the experience created by the retail associate. Were they welcoming and helpful? Did they convince you of the necessity and benefits of the sunglasses to the point where you wanted to make a purchase verses focusing on whether they wiped off your sunglasses before showing them to you.

Store manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsGreat discounts
    Fun people
    Flexible hours

ConsHigh thefts in Macy's store due to low security measures
    Very confusing with different policies for different stores (core/Macy's)
    Not enough coverage or hours to make stores run efficiently
    Not aloud to take breaks off floor eat on sales floor during all shifts
    Unrealistic goals
    New associates get paid more then associates that than seasoned associates

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect to to hold stores accountable for thefts if there is no security measures in place
    If you up starting new associates at higher rates raise pay of current associates

Decent Company

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Arrowhead Ranch, AZ

ProsWork alone, work life balance is decent

Constheft is constant and you get blamed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Job can be pretty annoying at times.

Sunglasshut Sale Associate (Current Employee)

ProsAccess to cool sunglasses for really good discounts and the free anniversary sunglasses are pretty awesome. A very laid back atmosphere. There is also the opportunity to meet many cool customers from all over the world.

ConsTerrible and confusing operating systems on the registers. Lack of organization for important procedures and no breaks, even during long shifts. No sensors on doors or sunglasses to prevent theft. Huge and sometimes unrealistic expectations from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in a proper system for the registers that doesn't involve clicking through four different windows and multiple loading screens just to do an item lookup. Invest in technology that will help in theft prevention rather than solely relying on the employees to catch thieves.

It wasn't for me.

ProsIt provides good selling experience. There are opportunities for growth.

ConsI can only speak about my own experience. The manager at my particular location told me there would be straight commission. This was actually a group incentive plan that I found peculiar. Another employee explained that commission on sales made was not a given though I had been told it was. I left after a very short while feeling misled.

disgusting!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Flushing, NY

Prosyou get free glasses on your anniversary

Conshorrible managers they treat you like slaves you do all the work the manager gets the bonus! you don't sell enough! you get writen up counting the glasses day and night drives you crazy! and if you get one wrong your don for all ways have to keep a look out for thefts because every thing is open in other words don't work there

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better managers!

The best company to work for

Sunglasshut Sale Associate (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsGreat team and equivocal to each other

ConsNothing really but the shoplifter gets away quickly when the store is hectic

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours

Horrible Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount received, free pair every year that you're with the company, occasional free glasses received for promotions and contests

Consupper management (regional and district managers and above), very corrupt company (at least in the region in which I worked), company politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to be screened and trained better; eliminate politics and corruption; high turnover rate because of these factors.

Location, location, location.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIf you're working in a busy location, you're going to work with great people, great managers and help great customers. Everyone is friendly and buys in to the corporate culture of providing great customer service while having fun. Unlike most clothing (jeans), trying on sunglasses can be a very fun experience. You'll also crush with commissions.

ConsIf you're in a slow location, you're going to be bored. You'll find ways to be distracted, you won't be as focused, and you won't be getting paid.

Stuck in the past.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis job is incredibly simple. Great for learning basic sales tactics. Good first job for anyone interested in the sales/retail/marketing side of business.

ConsThe company that is stuck in the past when it comes to sales mentality. Makes some sales transactions feel very corporate and less personal. Employees are looked at as bodies, not assets. Commission compensation is weak at best when the margin for these products is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should really focus on their employees. Treating "casual/part-time" employees like the have to sell or die, is a horrible business structure and will eventually lead to people leaving en masse.

Worked for Sunglass Hut International? Contribute to the Community!