Sunglass Hut Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
187 reviews filtered by
3.2
John Haugh

Pros
  • free pair if you stay with the company for a year and great employee discount (in 10 reviews)

• Excellent managers; flexible hours; great for part time work (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Expectations are high with few hours to accomplish goals, single coverage, pay (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management (regional managers) tend to micromanage and be incredibly unprofessional (in 7 reviews)

1. Great Company

I worked at Sunglass Hut part-time

Pros

Loved the support I received from upper management

Cons

I don't have any cons

2. Good experience overall. Commission based sales working with cool products.

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Sunglass Hut part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good discounts on sunglasses and good training resources for product knowledge.

Cons

Hours based on sales performance. Loss prevention can be stressful since high end product is on open display.

3. Enjoyable experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Sunglass Hut part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are great, the management is great. The hours are flexible and they're always willing to work with my schedule.

Cons

Some tasks are tedious, having to do inventory can be boring, and having to work aLome sometimes is not very fun.

Keep in touch with the lower level employees. Continue to be patient and willing to lead by example.

5. Sales Associate

I worked at Sunglass Hut

Pros

good hours, never got out too late, easy, not stressful, and a great place to work if you are in school

Cons

if you're looking for a lot of hours this won't be the place for you unless you are a manager or assistant manager.

6. Easy Job. Poor upper management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Sunglass Hut

Pros

Free pair of sunglasses on yearly anniversary. Good discounts. Chance to win free pairs of sunglasses quarterly. Easy job.

Cons

Very boring. Almost always working alone. Extremely political. Terrible upper management.

Take the time to support employees. Encourage associates instead of demeaning them. Stop picking favorites based on personality instead of merit.

7. Love what I do, and who I do it for. Not sure if they love me??

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Sunglass Hut full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sunglass Hut customers are amazing, and the company's selling method encourages you to get to know each and every one of them on a very personal level.

Cons

This is a very reactive company. Expect to have difficulty receiving adequate stock levels into the store, and know that you will never have the necessary payroll to complete any task accurately. Leadership is extremely difficult to contact and often times it takes 10 calls/emails to find an answer/solution to a simple problem.

Empower your people, give them an appropriate payroll grid to allow for sales/tasks/development to occur, and make people a priority.

8. Wasn't what I expected

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Sunglass Hut part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Meet new people, high energy, getting to interact wth customers in a fun way instead of the normal sales-person approach

Cons

Commission-based, too much pressure to sale, not enough hours, only a couple people on the floor at a time

Take it easy on those who have never done commission before and teach instead of forcing us to do it

9. Sales associate

I have been working at Sunglass Hut

Pros

Learn how to service a variation of customers. Product knowledge, basic retail lingo is learned.

Cons

Favoritism, no room for growth. Some stores won't have an asm position available. Won't get a raise until you say something about it. Some stores don't have a proper theft detecting system so it's up to you to protect your product. Single coverage...

Use payroll wisely. Don't take all of the credit for all the good being done in the store.

10. going on three years

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sunglass Hut full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, can receive great commission if store makes goal, great leadership, easy to move up in the company, great non-profit, can move basically anywhere and stay in the company.

Cons

not many hours to give associates, no commission if store doesn't make it's weekly goal, long hours with no breaks due to single coverage most days, theft happens (sometimes whether you do everything you're coached to do or not) theft is probably the most stressful part of this job

even with the increase in hours for million dollar stores, we still don't have enough hours to hire the type of people that we need hired. theft happens, and will keep happening as long as all we have to protect our product is customer service. double coverage would help a lot with loss prevention.

11. Sales associate

I have been working at Sunglass Hut

Pros

It is a very fun and energetic place to work customers are typically always very nice and friendly

Cons

You are mostly alone during the week if you are lucky to work at platinum store you will probably be able to work with a few co-workers on the weekend if not you will most likely always be alone in your store